The One Direction Appreciation Thread (7)

Comments

• annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    In the UK platinum is 300k for an album and 600k for a single. What is it in France?

Platinum seems to be 100 000 for albums and 150 000 for singles (wikipedia...), our market is small compared to Germany, Japan, the UK (and the US of course).
    It seems so little compared to the millions of people in the country...

Then again, I am one of the few who actually buy music among my familly & friends! Most people seem to listen to music on the radio in the car, but very few seem to buy.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Platinum seems to be 100 000 for albums and 150 000 for singles (wikipedia...), our market is small compared to Germany, Japan, the UK (and the US of course).
    It seems so little compared to the millions of people in the country...

Then again, I am one of the few who actually buy music among my familly & friends! Most people seem to listen to music on the radio in the car, but very few seem to buy.

That's funny that the amounts of sales are so much lower in France. Seeing as how the population of the UK and France is near enough the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Platinum in Croatia is 30 000. Very low. I think the reason for that is that nobody and I mean, nobody buys music in Croatia. They either listen to it on the radio/Youtube or download illegally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The numbers for Spain (40 000) and Italy (60 000) for albums seem even lower though! I thought we had similar populations as well...
    Croatia is doing OK actually -unless it's bigger than I thought, I'm really bad in geography! ;)

You understand better why everyone's dream is to make it in the US when they already have the UK market in the pocket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW: either old Fake Tricia Malik is back on twitter, or a new Fake Tricia Malik is online!
    Or is it the real one? But I kind of doubt it...
    http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/lads/873342/zayn-malik%E2%80%99s-mum-rejoins-twitter-defend-her-son-against-trolls-%E2%80%9Cyou-can%E2%80%99t-ev
    Forum Member
    The numbers for Spain (40 000) and Italy (60 000) for albums seem even lower though! I thought we had similar populations as well...
    Croatia is doing OK actually -unless it's bigger than I thought, I'm really bad in geography! ;)

You understand better why everyone's dream is to make it in the US when they already have the UK market in the pocket.

Croatia is next to Italy, population approximately 4.2 million people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW: either old Fake Tricia Malik is back on twitter, or a new Fake Tricia Malik is online!
    Or is it the real one? But I kind of doubt it...
    http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/lads/873342/zayn-malik%E2%80%99s-mum-rejoins-twitter-defend-her-son-against-trolls-%E2%80%9Cyou-can%E2%80%99t-ev

Zayn's sister stated all Tricia accounts are fake. And that Her mum doesn't have twitter. It's funny so many media outlets have fallen for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croatia is next to Italy, population approximately 4.2 million people.

According to wikipedia:

Italy's population: 59 million
    platinum albums: 60 000 units

Spain's population: 46 million
    platinum at 40 000 units

France's population: 65,8 million
    platinum at 100 000 units

Croation: 4.2 million people
    platinum at 30 000 untis
    --> either no one ever reaches platinum, or you guys buy a lot more than we do! :D
    Props to your country then!

At least Vivo & legal streaming sites pay the artists a little, but the other big thing is piracy in France...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn's sister stated all Tricia accounts are fake. And that Her mum doesn't have twitter. It's funny so many media outlets have fallen for it.

I actually don't understand why when it's so easy to check before you write the article... Tweet someone who has been "verified" as a familly member (like the sisters).
    Forum Member
    According to wikipedia:

platinum at 40 000 units

platinum at 30 000 untis
    --> either no one ever reaches platinum, or you guys buy a lot more than we do! :D

At least Vivo & legal streaming sites pay the artists a little, but the other big thing is piracy in France...

I see that the numbers are working in our favor, but believe me, 90% Croatians never buy music. :( Piracy is a big thing here too. I bought Guns N' Roses album a couple of years ago and all I got from my friends: you could have just downloaded it and printed out the cover.
    See what I mean? (Whenever I buy an album now, I keep my mouth shut :D )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wikipedia:

platinum at 40 000 units

platinum at 30 000 untis

Those first three countries sales amounts are really surprising? Don't you buy albums on the continent? :eek: :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those first three countries sales amounts are really surprising? Don't you buy albums on the continent? :eek: :D.

I am just as surprised as you are...
    unless wikipedia was lying of course!

Well bad economy & all, I suppose most people's priorities are elsewhere... Plus in France, many people seem to think that buying music means supporting the labels and this unfair system that spends far too much on marketting and not real artists...

It's pretty ridiculous how snobbish people can be tbh: it's like every singer should be a singer songwriter who plays all the instruments on the reccord (I might be exagerating, but you get the spirit :rolleyes:).
    And then you look at the charts, and Rihanna is there LOL! I suppose there is the speech and the truth? Or maybe it's not the same demographic that buys singles (especially since you have to go to I tunes...).
    I know quite a few people who go to gigs but don't seem to buy music... they don't seem to understand that the artists need labels and sales to make it, as well as people who come to see them live.

I think that in the past, many singers could be just singers without getting slagged off. Not all of the songwriters have charisma and a good voice, and not all of the singers can write a decent song!
    Forum Member

I think that in the past, many singers could be just singers without getting slagged off. Not all of the songwriters have charisma and a good voice, and not all of the singers can write a decent song!

Take Elvis Presley. That man didn't write one lyric in his life. Good voice and a talent for singing don't necessarily include songwriting skills.

To be honest, I like artists who write their own stuff and play an instrument, but that's not crucial for me. It's all about the voice and charisma. If someone can write and play too, it's just a plus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those interested: the book "Where we are" is on preorder at a discounted price on amazon.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Direction-Where-Official-Story/dp/0007489005/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369815127&sr=1-1&keywords=where+we+are+one+direction) and on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/One-Direction-Where-Story-Official/dp/0062219049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369815237&sr=8-1&keywords=where+we+are+one+direction).

Strangely, it's significantly cheaper in the US (33% discount) than in the UK (11%). And there is no discount in France, so anyone interested should check on their countrie's amazon I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to share some awful news, but I think it's better to be prepared:
    Harry's favourite tattoo artist, Freddy Negrete, has revealed to the Daily Star that Harry wants to get a tattoo that will cover his entire back the next time he’s in LA…

The unlinkable website (http ://www.un realitytv.co.uk/x-factor/one-direction-2013-harry-styles-to-get-massive-hebrew-tattoo-on-his-back-from-artist-freddy-negrete-in-la/#more-144169) is adding this:
    Freddy said, “He just can’t seem to stop tattooing at the moment, but he’s getting worried they’re all too front-heavy… *I'm worried about something else*
    “So it’s definitely his back we’ll be concentrating on.”
    However, Freddy revealed that doing a tattoo on Harry’s entire back may take weeks!
    He explained, “The whole thing could take months.”
    He added, “Harry will probably have more Hebrew lettering. He already has his sister’s name in Hebrew on his arm and he loves it.”

Crossing my fingers that it's BS!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please no more tattoos Harry! I wouldn't mind them if they were actually positioned in better places and some of them look like they've been done by a two year old. It annoys me because his body is in such good shape but the tattoos just completely ruin it for me.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »

It's all a load of banter. I think we take it a little too seriously on this board. Don't forget the Wanted are promoting their reality show at the moment so they're just saying stuff to get press for it.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all a load of banter. I think we take it a little too seriously on this board. Don't forget the Wanted are promoting their reality show at the moment so they're just saying stuff to get press for it.

I don't think of that as banter. Got the distinct impression Max was hinting at the gay rumours about Louis with his jibes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think of that as banter. Got the distinct impression Max was hinting at the gay rumours about Louis with his jibes.

Course it is. As I said they have a show to promote. They will say anything outrageous to get in the news. I would bet they're all fairly good friends really. I mean Zayn follows several of The Wanted on twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish there was a video, plain text makes things always seem more agressive IMO.

Yes, TW have something to promote and some of them seem keen to use any mean to get headlines.

MTUK1 thinks that it's all just a PR fight (I get the reason why) but I still believe some bad blood has now developped between both groups...
    Max's hint is obvious, but I hope that Louis will realise it's not worth reacting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no sign of Abrightyz. Hope he's ok.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with MTUK1, they have a show to promote. Desperadoes. Just looking at the two pictures in that article says it all really. There's the cute guy and the thuggish looking guy.:D
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no sign of Abrightyz. Hope he's ok.

I'm sure he's ok. He does take a break from the forum every now and again, hopefully back soon, I enjoy the banter between the two of you.:D
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there was a video, plain text makes things always seem more agressive IMO.

Yes, TW have something to promote and some of them seem keen to use any mean to get headlines.

MTUK1 thinks that it's all just a PR fight (I get the reason why) but I still believe some bad blood has now developped between both groups...
    Max's hint is obvious, but I hope that Louis will realise it's not worth reacting.

here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hIM7eukVk

Of course he (Max) didn't say it agressively or anything... But still pretty unnecessary and SOOOO obvious they had a show and an (awful) song to promote... pathetic actually, they're not worth thinking about!
This discussion has been closed.