Vocally, are Little Mix the best UK girl group ever?

13»

Comments

• avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    Slight exaggeration possibly? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it's perfectly accurate actually.;) Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no need to roll your eyes.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think a lot of you are still missing the point with this.

Little Mix as a group have emerged from an almost unique set of circumstances.

Four girls who entered a huge national singing contest as solo singers; fail as individuals but get selected and put together by Kelly Rowland(?) and others to complement each other principally on their vocal ability; and somehow they managed to gel and actually win the competition. They were not selected and put together by a public vote(thank God) but somebody listened and thought they might work together. Being taken from a huge audition pool, not arriving as a group and being selected on how they might sound together makes them pretty unique.

Better than that they actually harmonise well (unlike many of the boy groups put together on the same show), write much of their own music and don't trade on looks (though they could if they wanted!).

'[LM] are such stuff As dreams are made on..'
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    Slight exaggeration possibly? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did say quite! :D

But seriously, I say that because a lot of people of these boards still say that people like Cheryl or Lily Allen can sing. Now, if they call THAT:eek: singing, just normal "good" singing, then, yes, what the girls from Little Mix do is sing spectacularly.

But in reality, "spectacular" singing to me is the likes of Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey (back in the day), Whitney Houston, Leona Lewis, Amy Lee etc
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I would disagree with someone who said Perrie could outsing Vanessa and Nadine. Nadine carried Girls Aloud for six years and dominated most of their material. She was pretty flawless and everyone relied on her to be there at every performance otherwise it'd be a mess. Vanessa in 2008 - 2010 had a massive power house voice and even done Pop Star to Opera Star. Both carried their respective groups and were lead singers. Perrie is a very good singer but she's not as vital to her group like the other two.

I agree that Nadine and Vanessa are very good singers and carried their groups. Infact they are my favourite members!! However, I stand by my opinion that Perrie is much better. Nadine has a tendency to over-sing to the point she almost loses control. Vanessa (whilst being alot better recently) very often cracked at her highest notes. Perrie belts effortlessly and her highest note in their song 'About A Boy' is crystal clear and probably beyond the reach of Nadine or Vanessa.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easther Bennett vocally blows every other UK girl group singer away. Her voice was always nothing short of astounding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Easther Bennett vocally blows every other UK girl group singer away. Her voice was always nothing short of astounding.

Plus, we'll hear her singing again very soon! :)
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I would disagree with someone who said Perrie could outsing Vanessa and Nadine. Nadine carried Girls Aloud for six years and dominated most of their material. She was pretty flawless and everyone relied on her to be there at every performance otherwise it'd be a mess. Vanessa in 2008 - 2010 had a massive power house voice and even done Pop Star to Opera Star. Both carried their respective groups and were lead singers. Perrie is a very good singer but she's not as vital to her group like the other two.

This!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, not ever, but their harmonies are very good and their new album is pretty good to be fair. this album is certainly the best album from a girl group since girls aloud's "tangled up" in my opinion.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Little Mix are excellent singers, all 4 of them, which is surely rare for Girl Groups when, like others have said, it's usually just 1 or 2 members that carry the group. In particular I think Perrie and Jade have wonderful voices but Jesy and Leigh-Anne are very good too. Most importantly though - they sing great live. As a huge long time fan of Girls Aloud even I can admit that they could sometimes sound pretty damn bad live at times! Nicola sings best live, imo, along with Nadine. As for MKS - wonderful! I saw them live in Bristol this week and all 3 sang terrifically, especially Siobhan. (but then I already knew that - I adore her voice!) I always liked Mutya's lovely vocal tone and she and Keisha have just got even better over the years. I still think Perrie of Little Mix outsings them all though. Eternal and Honeyz were/are decent singers, I agree, but I never liked their music and found them bland. In their more r'n'b vein I prefered Mis-teeq. But again I say Perrie beats them all. Her voice is world class. Wish she was a solo singer and international star, she deserves it.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think Little Mix are excellent singers, all 4 of them, which is surely rare for Girl Groups when, like others have said, it's usually just 1 or 2 members that carry the group. In particular I think Perrie and Jade have wonderful voices but Jesy and Leigh-Anne are very good too. Most importantly though - they sing great live. As a huge long time fan of Girls Aloud even I can admit that they could sometimes sound pretty damn bad live at times! Nicola sings best live, imo, along with Nadine. As for MKS - wonderful! I saw them live in Bristol this week and all 3 sang terrifically, especially Siobhan. (but then I already knew that - I adore her voice!) I always liked Mutya's lovely vocal tone and she and Keisha have just got even better over the years. I still think Perrie of Little Mix outsings them all though. Eternal and Honeyz were/are decent singers, I agree, but I never liked their music and found them bland. In their more r'n'b vein I prefered Mis-teeq. But again I say Perrie beats them all. Her voice is world class. Wish she was a solo singer and international star, she deserves it.

like someone else previously mentioned, easther bennett from eternal was an amazing vocalist. she was the true definition of a world class voice and no-one in any british girl group has ever come even remotely close. now whether people rate her music or find her bland as a pop star is pretty irrelevant in a discussion about vocals.

many people like different things vocally. personally, i prefer perfectly conveyed emotion over power and tone over technically great voices. however, the true definition of a world class voice has to be a voice held up there with the greats vocally like whitney, aretha and mariah. not everyone wants those vocal styles from a vocalist, but they are the powerhouse vocalists that have wowed people worldwide with their amazing technical vocal abilities. perrie from little mix, as much as i like her, doesn't even come remotely close.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did say quite! :D

But seriously, I say that because a lot of people of these boards still say that people like Cheryl or Lily Allen can sing. Now, if they call THAT:eek: singing, just normal "good" singing, then, yes, what the girls from Little Mix do is sing spectacularly.

But in reality, "spectacular" singing to me is the likes of Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey (back in the day), Whitney Houston, Leona Lewis, Amy Lee etc

id sooner listen to cole, allen and little mix anyday over those 'singers', who i find unpleasant to listen too... they just belt stuff out and offend my ears.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    id sooner listen to cole, allen and little mix anyday over those 'singers', who i find unpleasant to listen too... they just belt stuff out and offend my ears.

Cole, allen and little mix going over dion, carey is just plain ridiculous.

Carey has more singing talent in her worst moments than those 3 put together at there very best
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the post I've read on here is embarrassing!!!
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op either deaf or wum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Op either deaf or wum

Or has an opinion that differs from yours. Doesn't make the OP deaf.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    like someone else previously mentioned, easther bennett from eternal was an amazing vocalist. she was the true definition of a world class voice and no-one in any british girl group has ever come even remotely close. now whether people rate her music or find her bland as a pop star is pretty irrelevant in a discussion about vocals.

many people like different things vocally. personally, i prefer perfectly conveyed emotion over power and tone over technically great voices. however, the true definition of a world class voice has to be a voice held up there with the greats vocally like whitney, aretha and mariah. not everyone wants those vocal styles from a vocalist, but they are the powerhouse vocalists that have wowed people worldwide with their amazing technical vocal abilities. perrie from little mix, as much as i like her, doesn't even come remotely close.

I like eternal but Esthers voice to me was always really thick like she had chocolate stuck in her throat lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »

Carey has more singing talent in her worst moments than those 3 put together at there very best

if you actually read my comment, it was clear i was making a personal preferance statement. nowhere did i say cole, allen, lm, were vocally better. i said id sooner listen to them (and i dont, i dont like them much ).

i dont give a flying fcuk if carey, dion, houston etc are technically superior if i dont like their material , and i dont.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this comes down to taste as most people commended Jesy's part as the best part of Move.

Is that the part when the sings the chorus solo?

If so, thats my favourite part, along with "hey, hey, im ready ..."
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Op either deaf or wum

Hahaha I'm neither. I'd love you to give some examples of other UK girl groups that can sing as well as Little Mix. I had forgotten about Eternal who were also brilliant.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

i dont give a flying fcuk if carey, dion, houston etc are technically superior if i dont like their material , and i dont.

But if someone had said that about the beatles you would be going insane now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if someone had said that about the beatles you would be going insane now.

no i wouldnt...ive never ever insisted that anyone should like the beatles...thats personal taste.

i object to the reality of the impact the beatles had being rubbished. not the same thing...

the impact the beatles had is a factual thing, the same way that its a fact that mariah/celine etc are technically proficient singers.

but you dont have to like their material regardless of how technically proficient their singing is, or like the beatles because of their impact on music.

hope thats clear.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The poster didn't say they had better vocals, just that they preferred listening to them. As do I actually, just not a fan of the Dion/Carey/Houston/etc. style of singing.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »

I tried this, I got to the point where all four girls had had a turn and it's really not very good. The girl on the far right who sang second had a really unpleasant voice, complete with breathless tics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I tried this, I got to the point where all four girls had had a turn and it's really not very good. The girl on the far right who sang second had a really unpleasant voice, complete with breathless tics.

Each to their own.;)