The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    :D:D:D

(Now that makes me wonder if Steeleuro was actually joking, and I took him seriously... :blush:)

Nice to see I'm not alone in that :-)

I think he was being serious...I've heard him say this before.. :D
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Got 2/3 of my eurovision wishes this weekend so happy with that :)

Yay for Can-Linn and Helena.
    Boo for Joanna though:( The door remains wide open for a dramatic ballad this year which are surprisingly few and far within so far:o

Agreed, everything's falling into place for Silent Storm to win atm.
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'd take an average 19 year old singer / songwriter over The Hump and Bonnie any day.......at least she will look and sound relevant to the modern contest :)

:blush: True I guess :)
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    nick1990 wrote: »
    Completely agree, it will be seen as a comedy entry by the majority of the viewing public on Saturday's eurovision show, just like Greece was last year. Unless you speak the language, its meaning will be lost.

I do really like it, and its the best choice they had, but it will be seen as a comedy entry at Eurovision.

I agree that Moustache won't be received well in the months before May, but can you really call Alcohol is Free a comedy entry? I remember when it was chosen it was widely brushed aside by fans across Europe.. yet it ended up 6th in the final.

I think 'comedy' is being confused with 'popular appeal'. None of my non-Eurovision-fan friends can speak Greek but they saw the appeal in the upbeat tempo, fun instrumentation and cheerful performance. In fact, Romania was seen as the joke entry by the same people.

That being said, I really don't see the appeal of Moustache. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in May, though.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see 'Moustache' as quirky but not comedy or novelty. It's certainly not in the same league as 'Wolves of the Sea' or 'Leto Svet', I'd place it among the likes of 'Beautiful Song' and 'Caroban'. :)
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://twitter.com/Holly_Drummond/status/440182338472124417

There has been so many tweets like this this week. :D

NEXT!!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    People were calling Divine novelty before the contest because of it's odd presentation.

Twin Twin have said they don't view the song as novelty, so I guess we should base our judgement on what they say.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually can't decide whether the people praising Moustache are joking or if they actually like it, haha. :blush: (seriously!).
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Drummond just tweeted this -
    "Why is everyone tweeting me saying I am the Eurovision entry this year? Am I missing something? Aha

Oops, beaten to it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »

NEXT!!

Sort of glad. I mean, she has a nice voice (i actually really like her most recent things on YouTube), but it's sort of... average at the same time? There are literally hundreds of girls with the same style of singing voice. The novelty sort of wore off for me years ago :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I'd take an average 19 year old singer / songwriter over The Hump and Bonnie any day.......at least she will look and sound relevant to the modern contest :)

Nice to hear that the age of the singer is more important than the quality of the song that they're singing!

I would make a comment about Logan's Run here (and no I don't mean Johnny) but doubt most kids would get it until they decide to remake the film starring Troutface and Plankinson from Twilight... ;)
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought - if Zlata had won last year and this year's contest was set to be held in Ukraine, how do you think it would have been affected? Would the contest have gone ahead or cancelled, or would there be a last minute switch to another country hosting?
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    globbits wrote: »
    Nice to hear that the age of the singer is more important than the quality of the song that they're singing!

I would make a comment about Logan's Run here (and no I don't mean Johnny) but doubt most kids would get it until they decide to remake the film starring Troutface and Plankinson from Twilight... ;)

A quick wiki look up is not hard Grandpa! :p

Not that I would need to ;-)
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recordings about to start argh!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Just a thought - if Zlata had won last year and this year's contest was set to be held in Ukraine, how do you think it would have been affected? Would the contest have gone ahead or cancelled, or would there be a last minute switch to another country hosting?

I imagine a delay, followed by it being taken place in another country. I'm sure the EBU has some sort of protocol for when stuff like this happens, though.
  • QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recordings about to start argh!!!

Do you think it will get leaked tonight?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »

NEXT!!

This is going beyond a joke. Are there people being paid to create UK Eurovision rumours? >:(
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'comedy' is being confused with 'popular appeal'. None of my non-Eurovision-fan friends can speak Greek but they saw the appeal in the upbeat tempo, fun instrumentation and cheerful performance. In fact, Romania was seen as the joke entry by the same people.
    Well, those are some of the hallmarks of a comedy entry to me :)
    Again, I think people are confusing "comedy" with "novelty" or "joke entry"... They're not the same (imo at least).

The Greek entry was probably seen by majority as something of a "fun drinking song", so a comedy one in that sense, yes.
    My thoughts exactly; though I didn't dare say it, but it sounded quite an ageist remark to me... Only young people are "relevant to the contest"...? Hmm...
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    A quick wiki look up is not hard Grandpa! :p

Not that I would need to ;-)

I saw that edit! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    Do you think it will get leaked tonight?

The name of the singer is a possibility, yes (or some strong clues at least).
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is going beyond a joke. Are there people being paid to create UK Eurovision rumours? >:(

Only 24 hours left of this feeling! Then it's a whole 10 months before we get to go through it aaaaaallll again!
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    I saw that edit! :p

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56878746

POST 637

*blows kiss*
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Well, those are some of the hallmarks of a comedy entry to me :)
    Again, I think people are confusing "comedy" with "novelty" or "joke entry"... They're not the same (imo at least).

The Greek entry was probably seen by majority as something of a "fun drinking song", so a comedy one in that sense, yes.

Surely by that definition songs like Lautar and Be My Guest would be comedy entries as well?
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »

I'll let you off then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have no problem whatsoever if a 60 or 70 year old who was still having hit singles or albums was the entrant, but someone of that age relying on their back catalogue from 30 or 40 years ago is all wrong for the modern contest.
This discussion has been closed.