Options

"Caroline is a Trained Dancer.."

Comments

• Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Thank you, but I asked what we were told, not when we were told. Can you pin point what information we were told about Frankie's and Pixie's training?

I couldn't provide quotes (can anyone ?) but I came away from the main show knowing Pixie and Frankie had previous training. I didn't know much about any of their dance experience before hand but if Id had to guess I would of had all 3 as attending stage school. I don't watch any spin offs and the first time I ventured onto this forum was after the "breaking new" type story in the DM. There are many others on here who have the same impression so something was said that implied that 2 had more training than Caroline. Apparently on the ITT show even Zoe and Craig had the same impression so we cant be that wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Thank you, but I asked what we were told, not when we were told. Can you pin point what information we were told about Frankie's and Pixie's training?

The only thing I have ever heard about Frankie was that her mother is/was a dance instructor. Her dance training is only 'implied' as far as I know. Funny thing is, I used to surf when I was a teenager (and I had some initial training). I couldn't haul myself up onto a surfboard for love nor money these days. Don't know if that's relevant or not?
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The public simply don't care and have moved on.

So true.

I think anyone who reads the Daily Fail and actully takes it seriously should go join the 'It's snot fair - she's a trained dahnca' mob in a nice little padded room with some Lucozade and a sweet therapist with bundles of saintly patience.

The show is over. The plastic ball has a new shelf. Everyone else has gone home. Get over it.

The rest of us can get on with our lives. Logic never works with cases like this.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I couldn't provide quotes (can anyone ?) but I came away from the main show knowing Pixie and Frankie had previous training. I didn't know much about any of their dance experience before hand but if Id had to guess I would of had all 3 as attending stage school. I don't watch any spin offs and the first time I ventured onto this forum was after the "breaking new" type story in the DM. There are many others on here who have the same impression so something was said that implied that 2 had more training than Caroline. Apparently on the ITT show even Zoe and Craig had the same impression so we cant be that wrong.

'Many others'? There's a few who want to make an issue about Caroline's previous training which, despite their protestations, has been in the public domain prior to and throughout the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Many others'? There's a few who want to make an issue about Caroline's previous training which, despite their protestations, has been in the public domain prior to and throughout the series.

I don't have an issue with her training, I and others have an opinion on the fact that it was not highlighted in the same way as some of the others, unfair to them and us as viewers We can't ALL be wrong :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with her training, I and others have an opinion on the fact that it was not highlighted in the same way as some of the others, unfair to them and us as viewers We can't ALL be wrong :-)

By the same token, we can't all be right.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    houdi wrote: »

Going back to the BBC biographies for each celebrity. The only one that mentioned serious dance training was Caroline's.

Frankie's just mentioned being in SClub Juniors/SClub 8. Pixie's mentioned her Italia Conti schooling and being on stage in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Bearing in mind that they are 9 & 11 years younger than Caroline with a far more recent history of performing it does seem very biased to only single out Caroline for all the anger.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Going back to the BBC biographies for each celebrity. The only one that mentioned serious dance training was Caroline's.

Frankie's just mentioned being in SClub Juniors/SClub 8. Pixie's mentioned her Italia Conti schooling and being on stage in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Bearing in mind that they are 9 & 11 years younger than Caroline with a far more recent history of performing it does seem very biased to only single out Caroline for all the anger.

But what exactly is Frankie and Pixie's other "dance training"? As far as I know, Pixie has only been mentioned of having dance training because of going to Italia Conti and Frankie for being in a girl group. There's no evidence of them having trained as a dancer properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not sure there is anger toward Caroline, not from me anyway. And I think the other 2 have already had stick though I may be wrong. The unfortunate thing about this is timing, for Caroline that they chose to enlighten people on the day of the final and the other 2 because I expected more from them at the outset, they didn't have as much improvement to make for me. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    houdi wrote: »

Exactly, we're all different. Some people just struggle with that. ;-)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no evidence of them having trained as a dancer properly.

I think the evidence with regard to Pixie is before your eyes! No-one without training could produce those pirouettes without quite a lot of training!
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely and to come in for all that Flack on the day of the final itself. No agenda there. No sirree Bob
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    No, I said I wasnt trying to be sarcastic. ;-)
    That must just be my low level background hum :cool: with a touch of exaggeration for effect.

Anyway, if I were a little BBC elf looking for ways to save money, I think I would advise the People in Strictly Towers not to bother with the sister website or online voting because fairly obviously they are a bit of a waste of resources.

That must be your low level hum again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    So true.

I think anyone who reads the Daily Fail and actully takes it seriously should go join the 'It's snot fair - she's a trained dahnca' mob in a nice little padded room with some Lucozade and a sweet therapist with bundles of saintly patience.

The show is over. The plastic ball has a new shelf. Everyone else has gone home. Get over it.

The rest of us can get on with our lives. Logic never works with cases like this.

Not part of the mob that is trying to lynch the winner, but "The rest of us" are still on here talking about in in whatever way, including you. That includes ways in which people can suggest ideas to make the show better next year, beats carping in my book. One way I think they can make it better is make the show itself more informative. in general. Not difficult or contentious though some seem to be making it more so than the original discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Caroline is not a 'trained dancer' no more than Pixie or Frankie is. They may have had some dance training but being taught ballroom dancing is going to be new to all of them, not only that it's having to do it in a few days and then perform it once on live TV.

I just don't get this as a problem.

The BBC have decided who takes part and the public have decided who won. End of.

If people don't want anyone who has had any sort of performance training then the pool of people available is going to be very small and personally jokes like John Sargent or Anne Widdicombe or Judy Murray wear off very quickly with me.

Not seen much evidence that people want every participant to be lacking in ability or potential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kimberly-S wrote: »
    There simply is not enough time in the main show. It's just an entertainment show, I would imagine the vast majority of the viewers just want to see good dancing and aren't particularly fussed about the dancers pasts.

It doesn't have to be lengthy set pieces, just brief mentions here and there. The amount of complaints about filler, irrelevant material, silly quips, corny VTs etc etc on here tells me there is plenty of time to ditch some of that stuff and make the show more generally and "casually" (sorry, struggling for a better word) informative about the contestants.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Not part of the mob that is trying to lynch the winner, but "The rest of us" are still on here talking about in in whatever way, including you. That includes ways in which people can suggest ideas to make the show better next year, beats carping in my book. One way I think they can make it better is make the show itself more informative. in general. Not difficult or contentious though some seem to be making it more so than the original discussion.
    It doesn't have to be lengthy set pieces, just brief mentions here and there. The amount of complaints about filler, irrelevant material, silly quips, corny VTs etc etc on here tells me there is plenty of time to ditch some of that stuff and make the show more generally and "casually" (sorry, struggling for a better word) informative about the contestants.

Agree with everything you say :) A few people seem to be trying to make out this is a dig at Caroline, but as you say it is just a more general suggestion that we get more open info about all the contestants at the start (which would hopefully avoid articles like the one about Caroline in the DM). I don't see what's so terrible about the idea as with the dribs and drabs of info we get at the moment not only the ringers get the flak, but also imagined ringers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    Agree with everything you say :) A few people seem to be trying to make out this is a dig at Caroline, but as you say it is just a more general suggestion that we get more open info about all the contestants at the start (which would hopefully avoid articles like the one about Caroline in the DM). I don't see what's so terrible about the idea as with the dribs and drabs of info we get at the moment not only the ringers get the flack, but also imagined ringers.

Thing is, many of us knew about Caroline's training. Especially the Dancing on Wheels stuff. Which is why all the angst about the so called secrecy seems so weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, many of us knew about Caroline's training. Especially the Dancing on Wheels stuff. Which is why all the angst about the so called secrecy seems so weird.

I understand that, but its clear from comments here and hundreds on online news articles that lots of people didn't know. What is so terrible about letting a few more people have the info by putting it on the intro show? The main argument seems to be 'how lazy, let them look it up online' but if everyone is ok with people knowing, why not make it easier for them?
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member

Don't know if you can call it secrecy, not deliberate anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Don't know if you can call it secrecy, not deliberate anyway.

I don't which is why i said "so called".
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I don't which is why i said "so called".

I don't think too much of this debate is complaint about a there being a deliberate cover up...some perhaps but not all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    Agree with everything you say :) A few people seem to be trying to make out this is a dig at Caroline, but as you say it is just a more general suggestion that we get more open info about all the contestants at the start (which would hopefully avoid articles like the one about Caroline in the DM). I don't see what's so terrible about the idea as with the dribs and drabs of info we get at the moment not only the ringers get the flak, but also imagined ringers.

Cheers.

Pity an attempt to widen the discussion has been interpreted (on purpose by some I feel) as nothing more than trying to labour the original one. Still that's this place for you.
    Merry Christmas Ellie. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers.

Pity an attempt to widen the discussion has been interpreted (on purpose by some I feel) as nothing more than trying to labour the original one. Still that's this place for you.

Merry Christmas :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers.

Point being, if someone misses the information, or forgets what they heard they may be outraged to read it in a paper. None of which can be countered except by repeating the same things week after week which will suck the life out of things and put anyone with any potentially relevant training off doing the show.

Provided no one is disingenuous about their past experience there can be no issue.
This discussion has been closed.