Playing Devil's Advocate - Miliband as PM

13»

Comments

• Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I am no fan of Miliband or Labour, but Labour do not hit the lower classes while protecting the super rich in the way the Conservatives have done under Cameron.

Cameron has done nothing but underline that the Tories are the party for the wealthy and no-one else

I think Labour are changing in that regard (since about 1990) and will change even more in future until they are indistinguishable from Conservative economically. Blair set the ball rolling for that.

Labour as they are now and traditional Labour are different, I think.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Labour are changing in that regard (since about 1990) and will change even more in future until they are indistinguishable from Conservative economically. Blair set the ball rolling for that.

Labour as they are now and traditional Labour are different, I think.

Yes I see where you are coming from Jim, today's Labour are no real alternative.

So the leading political parties are both full of self-serving millionaires who know little (if anything) about life outside of politics and also how many ordinary people live.

It seems now vote Tory if you have no conscience and Labour if you do. The end result will be just that bit softer under Labour.

This country needs a radical change if not a revolution, or I fear for today's young people.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Nope. Labour were well are that many people were going to do very well. That is why the NMW was a very early piece of legislation.

Your turn:
    Are you denying that the Tories voted en masse to force people to eat Pet Food?
    Or you can answer my previous question instead .

Did I ever mention the National minimum wage? No I didnt. Just because Labour bought that in, it doesn't excuse the harsh fact that the gap between the rich and poorer grew faster under Labour than at any time in modern history.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Did I ever mention the National minimum wage? No I didnt. Just because Labour bought that in, it doesn't excuse the harsh fact that the gap between the rich and poorer grew faster under Labour than at any time in modern history.

Thank you for reminding people that Labour are a pro-business party on the basis of their most recent period in office. It will save me the job.

New Labour were perfectly aware of the consequences of the emergence of so many profitable companies. That is why they introduced the National Minimum Wage.
    The Tories wanted to stop the National Minimum Wage.
    The Tories wanted the gap between the highest earners and the lowest earners to be much greater. (Fact).
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the poor and the disabled will take slightly less of a kicking if Labour are in charge.

Agree 100% , I am a Labour man but dont particularly like Ed , but as a PM he may surprise us all at how good he is...hope so , anyhow crystal ball gazing is all fine and well ,lets wait until the election result .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for reminding people that Labour are a pro-business party on the basis of their most recent period in office. It will save me the job.

New Labour were perfectly aware of the consequences of the emergence of so many profitable companies. That is why they introduced the National Minimum Wage.
    The Tories wanted the gap between the highest earners and the lowest earners to be much greater. (Fact).

Spoken like a true spin doctor. Is that you Peter Mandelson? You can't seem to answer a question.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want Ed to get in.

Mainly, because I want a referendum on Europe. I'm not actually sure if I want in or out yet (I'm more out at the moment though), but I think us Brits need to have a say on this important decision.

I also don't think he is PM material. Sorry Ed!
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But your not denying the fact that the gap between the rich and the poor got greater.

Your just completly changing the subject
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Ed Milliband can only become PM with Scottish seats - so would have to deal with Alec Salmond (probably Leader of the SNP in Parliament) who will make mincemeat out of him.. This assumes the Libdems are largely wiped out at the ballot box.

Scotland will get free everything, in return for the SNP giving up their (currently correct) stance of not voting on English matters.

Taxes and Council tax will have to go up in England/ Wales / NI to pay for the subsidies to Scotland.
    There will be mass moving of money overseas from England to avoid the higher taxes, Millionaires will sell up or find creative ways to avoid paying Mansion taxes.

The Labour manifesto election promises for England/Wales will not happen as Ed has to pay for the Scottish votes in Parliament. Rioting and mass protests follow as Ed has to introduce Austerity into England / Wales / NI to pay for the Scottish bribes. Unions will strike as workers lose their jobs due to cuts needed to fund the Scottish benefits.

Alec Salmond will continue to turn the screw until eventually the English Labour MPs cannot face their voters any more and Ed loses a vote of no confidence, bringing on another election.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Ed Milliband can only become PM with Scottish seats - so would have to deal with Alec Salmond (probably Leader of the SNP in Parliament) who will make mincemeat out of him..

Scotland will get free everything, in return for the SNP giving up their (currently correct)stance of not voting on English matters.

Taxes and Council tax will have to go up in England/ Wales / NI to pay for the subsidies to Scotland.
    There will be mass moving of money overseas from England to avoid the higher taxes, Millionaires will sell up or find creative ways to avoid paying Mansion taxes.

The Labour manifesto election promises for England/Wales will not happen as Ed has to pay for the Scottish votes in Parliament.

Alec Salmond will continue to turn the screw until eventually the English Labour MPs cannot face their voters any more and Ed loses a vote of no confidence, bringing on another election.

Which is exactly why the if Labour win they won't be able to do a deal with the SNP.
    Forum Member
    Which is exactly why the if Labour win they won't be able to do a deal with the SNP.

Depends if they think it through, or just go for any deal to get into No. 10 and hope it will all be alright in the end.

Alec Salmond is a wily operator - he will have a big part to play after the election.
    Hopefully Scotland gets independance out of it - as the prospect of the rest of UK being bled dry to prop up a Labour/ SNP coalition is unthinkable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if they think it through, or just go for any deal to get into No. 10 and hope it will all be alright in the end.

Alec Salmond is a wily operator - he will have a big part to play after the election.
    Hopefully Scotland gets independance out of it - as the prospect of the rest of UK being bled dry to prop up a Labour/ SNP coalition is unthinkable.

You're missing the point. I am sating that it won't be acceptable to the other countries esoecially England to have the SNP in a coalition.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't he be working with Nicola Sturgeon rather than Salmond?
    Forum Member
    You're missing the point. I am sating that it won't be acceptable to the other countries esoecially England to have the SNP in a coalition.

We won't have a choice if Ed sells us down the river to get into No. 10.
    After all he will be doing it "for our benefit"
    Boyard wrote: »
    Wouldn't he be working with Nicola Sturgeon rather than Salmond?

It does not really matter who the Elected leader of a party may be - they have to be IN Parliament to muster their MPs.

Farage, Bennett or Sturgeon might be nominal heads of their party outside Parliament, but they are not allowed to set foot inside the Palace of Westminster unless they are a Peer or an MP.
    This makes it virtually impossible to organise votes on the floor of the Commons.

This would especially apply if there were a "Rainbow Coalition" where smaller parties might be voting for or against motions in the Commons one after the other, you cannot have a leader sat at home watching it on TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We won't have a choice if Ed sells us down the river to get into No. 10.
    After all he will be doing it "for our benefit"

It does not really matter who the Elected leader of a party may be - they have to be IN Parliament to muster their MPs.

Farage, Bennett or Sturgeon might be nominal heads of their party outside Parliament, but they are not allowed to set foot inside the Palace of Westminster unless they are a Peer or an MP.
    This makes it virtually impossible to organise votes on the floor of the Commons.

This would especially apply if there were a "Rainbow Coalition" where smaller parties might be voting for or against motions in the Commons one after the other, you cannot have a leader sat at home watching it on TV

It won't be a long government. Put it that way.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Miliband is an inept reactionary who thrives on populist headline-grabbing, politics of envy statements and if Balls gets to play games with the economy, the combination will be disastrous for the UK.

Miliband will be nothing but a puppet / figurehead for the unions but he will at least condemn Labour to history for the foreseeable future.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    But the working class treated better.

You are joking - if it is anything like New Labour they will be happily shafting the working man in the back, then try and persuade him that it is for the good of the economy.

If you really want to know;

The FTSE will decline in real terms

Unemployment may continue to drop but at a slower rate and eventually start going up

Industrial Productivity will get worse

Inflation will go up

Sterling will fall.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Same old rubbish as under Tories except not quite as extreme, don't see too many Tory laws getting reversed though other than bedroom tax
    Yep, just as the Tories canned ID cards to try and look like they're bothered about civil liberties, Labour will reverse the bedroom tax to try and look like they're bothered about the poor. And just as before, huge swathes of idiots will fall for it and yammer on as though there's a difference between the two.

There isn't. They are both thoroughly repugnant on every level.