Options

Will Roger Johnson get in trouble following his rant at ref Martin Atkinson?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Roger Johnson launched a scathing attack on referee Martin Atkinson following the controversy that clouded the Second City derby

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/04/26/birmingham-city-roger-johnson-launches-scathing-attack-against-second-city-derby-referee-martin-atkinson-97319-26316518/

The Blues centre-half also labelled the Football Association’s Respect The Ref campaign a ‘joke’.

Johnson was adjudged to have brought down Villa striker Gabby Agbonlahor in the Blues box in the 82nd minute and was shown a yellow card. However, TV replays showed that Johnson clearly won the ball with his sliding tackle and that it was not a foul.

Johnson also called on Atkinson to either apologise or explain himself. “He should explain himself,” continued Johnson. “I said to him ‘if you’ve got anything about you then you’ll come and apologise’ so we’ll see if he does that.

“You can’t talk to them. They ask for respect nowadays but the whole respect campaign is a joke. You can’t talk to them, they tell you to go away. When a player does it he gets sent off. So that respect campaign means nothing."

I have no allegiances with Birmingham but I can understand Johnson's anger. It was a bad decision.

Bad decision aside, why do ref's not explain themselves? This season it seems like at least 1 match (sometimes more) every week is adversely affected by the ref.

Should ref's be made to give a post match interview?

Comments

• Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

Should ref's be made to give a post match interview?
    Not seen the incident, only heard about it so can't really comment. But yes I do think they should have to give PMI's. They are getting paid after all and why the hell shouldn't they explain why they gave this that or the other. Transparency and that. They get far too much protection.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the reason why ref's don't give post match interviews?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're not allowed to, for what reason I don't know.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    One or two have spoken to the tv people after a game. It's a rarity though. Not sure if it's a case of not being allowed than rather choosing not to. Unlike for the managers or assistant managers who are obliged to speak to the media as I understand it.
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, refs can't come out and speak after games. I remember one of the refs actually saying they would prefer to be able to explain themselves after a game has taken place, but the FA simply won't allow them to do so.

I agree with what Roger Johnson is saying. The respect campaign is a joke. Not so much because of the refs, but because of the FA. They protect them far too much.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well played to him for saying exactly what he thought rather than the usual rubbish interviews. He'll get in trouble because the FA are idiots who know little about the game.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Really hope not , as he said it how it is, but we all know what the Old farts at the Fa will do dont we :mad:
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should get in trouble as that's the rule. However, should such a rule be in place that basically censors impassioned yet logical complaint? Not a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One United wrote: »
    I agree with what Roger Johnson is saying. The respect campaign is a joke. Not so much because of the refs, but because of the FA. They protect them far too much.

It is a joke. There wasn't much respect being shown whe he was stamping his feet and shouting at the ref, along with other team mates.
    It's not just them though most players still give the ref lip, so the campaign doesn't do much by way of stopping that.
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Stephen Carr should get in trouble for swearing his head off and making offensive gestures at the family part of the Trinity Road stand infront of children the elderly, theres video proof of it too.

The Scum proving yet again what they are all about, and Larson's behaviour was pathetic too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member

The referee has to make a decision based on a split second view and will inevitably get it wrong on some occasions. In this case it may well be that Atkinson thought that there was no contact with the ball and that was reason why he gave the penalty.

But if he has to stand in front of a camera and say that after numerous replays suggest he was wrong, what does that do for his integrity?

And what about respect? Why should a referee try and have a reasoned debate with 3 or 4 players screaming and swearing in his face. If they disagree with the decision NOTHING the referee says is going to change that.

A question for you...

Is a referees decision to award an incorrect penalty more of a howler than a player missing an open goal from 4 yards?

If your answer is no, then why is it only the referees who get the blame?

If your answer is yes, then I suggest you think again about the question...

Referees DO make mistakes but on the whole they get decisions right.

If players, managers and fans want 100% then the game will have to be stopped at every incident and a team of representatives from each side decide what is the correct decision. Welcome to fourteen hour games, people!!!
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Well played to him for saying exactly what he thought rather than the usual rubbish interviews. He'll get in trouble because the FA are idiots who know little about the game.

He should get in trouble, it was a genuine mistake. I've seen some awful refereeing this season but it looked like a penalty to me and on the replays you could just about see the faintest touch of the ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a joke. There wasn't much respect being shown whe he was stamping his feet and shouting at the ref, along with other team mates.
    It's not just them though most players still give the ref lip, so the campaign doesn't do much by way of stopping that.

Or the respect Carr showed by standing and kicking the penalty spot.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Stephen Carr should get in trouble for swearing his head off and making offensive gestures at the family part of the Trinity Road stand infront of children the elderly, theres video proof of it too.

The Scum proving yet again what they are all about, and Larson's behaviour was pathetic too.

That, combined with him scuffing the penalty spot with his boot just before Milner took his penalty means Carr should have the book thrown at him...vile prick.

As for Johnson...he should be allowed to say what he thinks, but he'll get punished for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the respect Carr showed by standing and kicking the penalty spot.

I didn't see that - It really does beggar belief :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing should happen about the penality spot, Torres got away with it.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torres didn't even get a yellow card for it if i remember correctly, unlike Carr.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really defend Carr but I bet the Scum fans weren't quite as offended as they made out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Nothing should happen about the penality spot, Torres got away with it.

Not saying it should, just pointing out what a hypocrite Johnson is.
  • Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand RJs frustration, as it seems he did get a slight touch on the ball. I can also understand why the penalty was given against us, it looked a pen to me, especially from the ref's position.

As for Carr..... It's an over reaction from the fans. Pretendy outrage because of who he plays for. There is always some talking points when the two teams play. He was in the wrong, but its hardly crime of the century...
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not allowed to, for what reason I don't know.

They all have a meeting on the Monday and review each others decisions with the assessors and the Head of Referees (Mike Riley these days) and that's why the prefer to keep schtum

David Elleray complained about it in his book, saying he'd have liked the opportunity to explain himself but he did it once and got a bollocking from the FA