Captain America

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
Forum Member
There isn't a trailer yet, but there has been some stills up on the internet for a while, click here and here if you haven't already seen them.

Is anybody else looking forward to this as much as I am?

Other than The Avengers, this is the one of the few films i'm excited about watching next year. However I am hoping the trailer turns out to be better than those for Green Lantern and Thor...

Managed to catch them filming some of this up here in September, and i must admit the set seemed pretty impressive. Missed all the gunfire and explosives, but did manage to catch Chris Evans chasing after a car a few times :D

Do we think this could be a good film? Or is there no hope?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I hope they don't make him too comedy based (thinking of Evans in Fantastic Four,hope he doesn't come across like that) because he will clash with the humour of Iron Man when they come to make The Avengers which is what all these films are building up towards,Iron Man, Thor, Hulk(being re-done....again), Captain America. Either these films set a good standard or a major amount of money will be wasted on The Avengers
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previous attempts at CA , dating back to the 40s, don't really give me hope.
    Although comic book purists would die rather than admit it, some characters just look silly when rendered into live action, e.g, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Thor, Green Hornet, and really should be left on the page.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be anywhere near as bad as the last time they tried to make a film of CA. I'm looking forward to this, super heroes and WWII, can't fault it.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm hoping they put the money shot in it cap punching hitler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Why is it that the Avengers film has an earlier release date that CA? Or is this just a lie? As far as i was aware, they hadn't even started filming for that...

I really can't see this being worse than Thor or Green Lantern, it can't be! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm hoping they put the money shot in it cap punching hitler.

Maybe Cap could be the reason why Hitler only had one ball.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst waiting for the latest attempt at CA you can watch the original 1943 serial online at Internet Archive.org.
    Republic didn't set the bar very high for seriasl but Captain America, although no masterpiece, is better than many.
    In this story he's DA Grant Gardner, played by Dick Purcell (who appears to have knitted his own costume), has no shield, uses a gun and isn't above shoving bad guys out of windows.
    Although no less repetitive than other serials it has a certain amount of visual flair, some rather sadistic murders and Anna Nagel as Cap's glamorous assistant.
    The fights are well-choreographed although Dick Purcell's stunt double looks nothing like him, the pace is fast and the body count high. Given its origins it's quite entertaining.
    Not as good as Captain Marvel but way ahead of the boring Green Hornet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Meloncholy;45797656]Why is it that the Avengers film has an earlier release date that CA? Or is this just a lie? As far as i was aware, they hadn't even started filming for that...

I really can't see this being worse than Thor or Green Lantern, it can't be! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it anyway[/QUOTE]

It hasn't! Captain America is released July 2011 and Avengers is due May 2012.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always under the impression that this movie would never get made, on account of America trying to look superior over the rest of the world. Seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I certainly cant see this film doing as well as other comic book adatations of late.
    Forum Member
    I was always under the impression that this movie would never get made, on account of America trying to look superior over the rest of the world. Seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I certainly cant see this film doing as well as other comic book adatations of late.

Apparently it will be marketed differently outside America, playing up "The First Avenger" aspect.

I'm remaining positive on this. The stills I've seen give me hope, and they seem to be getting the Rocketeer vibe right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Can't see Captain America selling too well overseas, then again I know nothing about the character at all...come to think of it - who does?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this will do well. I like comic films and enjoy them, however, they don't usually do well unless its the more popular ones - X men, Ironman, batman & robin, and spiderman.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Captain America will, I suspect, have the look and feel of 'The Rocketeer'. I love that film, but it didn't do as well as it should have.

The WW2 setting (I understand will at least be part of the film) may work against it, rightly or wrongly. And again, CA just doesn't have that same recognition as the tentpole superhero characters - Supes, Batman etc.

It won't be a Ghostrider / Wolverine type flop, but nor will it hit the dizzy box office heights of a Batman Begins / Spider-man.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    That's a very promising trailer.

And a very eye-catching poster too: http://www.impawards.com/2011/captain_america_the_first_avenger.html
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Only a few months and Captain America is released.Although is it just me that finds it strange that it isn't released on the 4th July and not untill the 29th July as I didn't think a few weeks would be much difference for the studio for a better release date!
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Only a few months and Captain America is released.Although is it just me that finds it strange that it isn't released on the 4th July and not untill the 29th July as I didn't think a few weeks would be much difference for the studio for a better release date!

I think the third Transformers film has claimed July 4th. I agree with you, it would have been ideal for Cap.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I think the third Transformers film has claimed July 4th. I agree with you, it would have been ideal for Cap.

A fitting date ... but CORNY !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    A fitting date ... but CORNY !

What, and a guy in an American themed suit with a killer shield and facemask isn't corny? :D
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    What, and a guy in an American themed suit with a killer shield and facemask isn't corny? :D

haha well ya i suppose it is :D ... i shall sit back down :o
    Forum Member
    The trailer for Captain America that I saw before Thor looked really good and I can't wait to see it when it us released in July
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    After seeing the trailer all I could think was I want one of those machines, saves going to the bloody gym.
  • kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The movie studios have really upped their game with the superhero genre, turkeys are few and far between thankfully. :cool:
    Forum Member
    I can't think of a superhero film recently that was considered a turkey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I can't think of a superhero film recently that was considered a turkey

I might be wrong, but I think the Green Lantern might be considered for Turkey Title. I don't know why but it just looks cheesey from the trailers.

Thinking about it was the Green Hornet classed as a superhero (I know no super powers but the Green Hornet is a superhero in the same mould as Batman) movie? In which case that could have been considered Turkey Status, maybe?