Options

Treblinka

oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did any of you watch this? Here's a link if you missed it as I think it needs to be watched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m1l9w

Comments

• Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    Did any of you watch this? Here's a link if you missed it as I think it needs to be watched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m1l9w

I read an article at the weekend about this, I will def watch with my 2 teens. Has received very little publicity though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes chloeb, I only found it tonight. It's interesting and unbelievable how these SS officers could do their jobs!
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching this but had to turn off once they mentioned the new borns, i love to watch anything ww2 but that part i didn't like.

I will never understand how anyone could be so evil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it impossible to forgive the Germans, despite knowing 'there but for the grace of God' and all that.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I find it impossible to forgive the Germans, despite knowing 'there but for the grace of God' and all that.

Please dont blame all Germans . It wasnt The Germans , it was the Nazis who were evil .
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please dont blame all Germans . It wasnt The Germans , it was the Nazis who were evil .

Judging by some of the stuff I read on DS, even allowing for trolling, the mindset that led to places like Treblinka is alive and well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link-will watch this tonight. I'd best have some tissues ready. :(
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally true story. I worked in the passport office in the early 90s, a woman came to obtain a passport for her new born daughter. The daughter was named Treblinka, the woman had no idea it just sounded Russian and different.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thoroughly brilliant programme.

But the story was horrific, evil, and yet counterpointed by the bravery and courage of the two men who have lived with what they saw all these years.

Unbelievably moving.

Having read Martin Gilbert's book, The Holocaust, again one of the most chilling aspects of this horror was the nazis' ability to run the trains in order to maximise the efficiency of their killing. Appalling.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    A thoroughly brilliant programme.

But the story was horrific, evil, and yet counterpointed by the bravery and courage of the two men who have lived with what they saw all these years.

Unbelievably moving.

Having read Martin Gilbert's book, The Holocaust, again one of the most chilling aspects of this horror was the nazis' ability to run the trains in order to maximise the efficiency of their killing. Appalling.

Never before or since has genocide been conducted with such industrial efficiency. It's mind boggling that huge extermination camps were set up with the purpose of murdering thousands of people every day......it is so utterly cynical and evil as to be almost incomprehensible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, all the Nazis where German though.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Yes, I do know that most were .Hitler was Austrian by the way . All the BNP are British and I dont lump all British in with the condemnation of them .All the IRA are Irish , doent mean you lump all Irish in when condeming the actions of the IRA .
    You said you cant fogive the Germans , I think you mean the Nzi Germans as there were many Germans who are horrified and many who had nothing do to with the Nazis .
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight inaccuracy:rolleyes:. The Nazis were able to recruit hundreds of thousands of people, fully paid up by the Nazi regime around Europe towards their goal of extermination of Jews, in Holland, France, Italy, Poland, the Balkans, and elsewhere.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was shown again on BBC4 last week. I didn't know it had been first shown back in August as I was away for three months, and one of the places I visited was Treblinka.

I've visited many Concentration Camps but Treblinka is different in that it was built for the sole purpose of extermination, one of five Camps.

The site itself is much bigger than how it appeared on the documentary......there is a lot of walking involved. When I was there the weather was quite hot and it's surrounded by forest, so lots of insects around, some of which bite, others don't, but you can't tell the difference until you are actually being bit and needless to say I got badly bit within minutes of being there. It reminded me what a trifling agony to bear compared to the suffering which went on there.

It's a very heart wrenching place to visit.....but in my opinion, very necessary.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not nearly so 'black and white' as you describe. To put it another way, something my Mother (aged 21 when WW2 broke out) told me as a young boy inquisitive about the War which wasn't taught in any Schools during my time in education. She said to me, "Paul, always remember there were Germans.....then there were Nazis....".

I was left to mull over what she had told me for years.....but I never forgot it.

It would have been better put had you said 'all Nazi's were German....but not all Germans were Nazi's'.