OBE for riding an expensive horse!

oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure this is more ridiculous than riding a bike.

Comments

• CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not ridiculous at all. Your post is however.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The awards are meaningless baubles from the ridiculous royal family - there is no logic and its to do with who can be arsed to put a person up for an award - its not to do with merit
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain why? I don't mind rudeness when I can understand it.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the bikes come cheap either.:confused:
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »

Oh, I don't know. At least the horse does most of the work. That seems more sensible than knocking yourself out pedalling.

The wider point is why we hand out honours for doing well in a glorified school sports day but that's a whole other thread...:p
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better than giving honours to rich bastards who donate to the governing party.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Oh, I don't know. At least the horse does most of the work. That seems more sensible than knocking yourself out pedalling.

The wider point is why we hand out honours for doing well in a glorified school sports day but that's a whole other thread...:p

Sports days are more interesting.

Give them an egg to balance then see how they get on.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i have respect for the honour system but not for the people who they are dished out to.

i'm not necessarily against them being given out to sports people but only those who have excelled in their field ie bradley wiggins as opposed to kelly holmes who ok won 2 golds but only on the back of it being a crap field - no way does she deserve to be a dame infact its a joke. nothing against kelly btw its not her fault but i just dont think that just cos she won should equal a damehood.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

Totally agree with you.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the bikes come cheap either.:confused:

I know one of the riders (well daddy) paid three million for the horse about ten years ago! But they did only get an MBE.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    CatWolf wrote: »
    The awards are meaningless baubles from the ridiculous royal family - there is no logic and its to do with who can be arsed to put a person up for an award - its not to do with merit

Pretty much. They try to justify it by saying that most of them do charity work. All very noble, but many are a bit too public about the work they do.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »

You seem to be unaware of how the system works, its the Cabinet Office who rubber stamps who gets an honour not the Queen, she simply hands them out on the day. In the NY Honours list 72% of the recipients are ordinary charity workers and volounteers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Their achievements are commendable but the award itself is worthless, a token by the unelected head of state. It's a rubber stamp of approval from a family who's only achievement in life was the luck of being born into a rich and privileged stock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Their achievements are commendable but the award itself is worthless, a token by the unelected head of state. It's a rubber stamp of approval from a family who's only achievement in life was the luck of being born into a rich and privileged stock.

The Royal Family ceased to be pivotal in the honours sytem in the 18th century and stopped deciding who got honours in the 19th Century when it was fully taken over by government, now the Honours Commitee governed by the cabinet office decide from those nominated .
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

If you know someone more worthy, you can nominate them for a gong. If you can persuade enough people to say the same, there's a good chance of them getting it. Most awards are public nominations. Those 70 odd % of apparently unsung heros in particular. All nominated my their mates and work colleagues. The Queen has no say whatsoever.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Very few people turn them down, so they must be worth something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Very few people turn them down, so they must be worth something.

Too many republicans associate them with Monarchy as opposed to what they are in modern times which is a thankyou from the country so basically from us as we the public nominate most of them . The Queen merely presents them as head of state on our behalf.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main gripe with the whole dressage gold medal thing is that it's (I would suggest - not being an expert but knowing a little about horses) mainly the training and behind the scenes work which makes the difference rather than the performance on the day. It's more like say a West End performance than a sport. There's not really any strategy to it in the same way as a race or something.

I'm not meaning to demean it as it is very skillful. I just don't think it's the same kind of thing as other sports.

Plus whilst I can justify racing, jumping, eventing etc. as something a horse naturally does and likely enjoys, I'm not convinced by how much a horse enjoys dressage!
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    I'd rather get an honour from royalty than from someone who is just there because of the whim of the electorate.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Pretty much. They try to justify it by saying that most of them do charity work. All very noble, but many are a bit too public about the work they do.

Wouldn't we all love to be able to AFFORD to do charity work. It does get e a bit miffed at times - they can do it because they have enough money to live on (or more) yet your average joe has to go out and work a 40 hour week to get by.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Equine sports are very underrated in this Country :mad:

Brilliant news for me :D More deserved than riding a bike and hitting a ball with a racket :yawn:
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prince charles has been riding a horse for years and for that he deseves a medal:)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    My main gripe with the whole dressage gold medal thing is that it's (I would suggest - not being an expert but knowing a little about horses) mainly the training and behind the scenes work which makes the difference rather than the performance on the day. It's more like say a West End performance than a sport. There's not really any strategy to it in the same way as a race or something.

I'm not meaning to demean it as it is very skillful. I just don't think it's the same kind of thing as other sports.

Plus whilst I can justify racing, jumping, eventing etc. as something a horse naturally does and likely enjoys, I'm not convinced by how much a horse enjoys dressage!

Dressage is the basis of going forward in all Equine events.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it when the horseys dance.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Not really unless it was on an oldnag oldhag.