Candy Crush addiction - ( and other app addictions)

1798081828385»

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why a lot of money could be spent on Candy Crush if you didn't want to lose at all. Why spend the money trying to get to the next level though? You might as well go out and buy a video game of something similar.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit pointless really because the levels are random. there's no set way to do any of the levels.

Precisely. The programmers of it wouldn't be stupid enough to make the dropping of the fruit the same every time. They would hardly make any money from it if they did this.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can see why a lot of money could be spent on Candy Crush if you didn't want to lose at all. Why spend the money trying to get to the next level though? You might as well go out and buy a video game of something similar.

I think this is where they 'catch' the casual player who might not necessarily be that tech-savvy or might just be flat out addicted to it. they'll gladly pay to progress because they think there's no other way.

when i was playing it regularly, I created 3 dummy facebook accounts just so i could use those to help me advance to the next chapter without having to ask anyone :)
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    bit pointless really because the levels are random. there's no set way to do any of the levels.

Not totally pointless, it can be quite helpful. I couldn't fathom out what the frog was all about until I looked on YT
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on level 192 of Candy Crush, and have no intention of paying to complete a level, though i must admit, if i had a swear jar it would probably be full:blush:
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Sometimes the 'you only need one more jelly' and you can pay 69p for 5 more moves (and I know I can do it in those 5 moves) is tempting, but I have managed to refrain so far.

Am on level 3 lol ;)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

I must admit I wondered as well. Match-3 games are often free or cheap, too. Example:
    http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/17/match-3.html Some of those are trial, but the rest are either free or cheap (£2.99 at most).

For what it's worth, my favourite is 4 Elements II. http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/14329/4-elements-ii/index.html This type of a Match-3 game has an additional aspect: Puzzles. The main objective - you have to destroy a series of gems to allow water to reach your target. Gameplay at YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1xBMEcsjA (Match-3 type starts at around 2:40)

Very addictive, and a great way to kill time when travelling. I bought it for £3 about four years ago and I still play it now and then, usually when stuck in a hotel room.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, I'm still playing this. On level 617 now.
    Not sure I'm liking this new 'candy frog' thing.
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »

Did you get the frog thing straight away or did you have to ask someone? I couldn't work it out at all until I looked at YT (maybe I was just being thick).
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    I'm on level 192 of Candy Crush, and have no intention of paying to complete a level, though i must admit, if i had a swear jar it would probably be full:blush:

I went through that one this week - only took about 3 tries:p

I did think I was very lucky though - the sweets not getting replenished makes it totally dependant on luck and the games over very quickly:(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Not totally pointless, it can be quite helpful. I couldn't fathom out what the frog was all about until I looked on YT

For things like that, there's obviously a benefit in looking at Youtube but for solutions to how to do levels it really is pointless. It should be "This is how I did Level XXX" rather than "This is how to do Level XXX"
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stuck on 181 for ages! It's one of the memorable ones.

I've been on it for a couple of weeks now, I don't think I've moved the cherries down more than one square :(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you get the frog thing straight away or did you have to ask someone? I couldn't work it out at all until I looked at YT (maybe I was just being thick).
    I got the fact that that the frog eats the same coloured candy when you match it in a line as normal then you can place it elsewhere when it's about to explode but I'm still not sure how it works when striped/wrapped candies are incorporated into it.
  • PattiPatti Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    I've been stuck on level 425 for over a month !

Snap! It has annoyed me so much that I've taken to Dream World instead to get some relief!

My mum used to roll her eyes at me being addicted to it & called me sad. Guess who has recently downloaded not only Candy Crush but Pet Rescue Saga & Bubble Witch Saga?

Is the frog a good or a bad thing? I hate the cyclones, more often they're a hindrance than a help.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I'm on level 734 now, very infuriating. :mad: :(
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on level 734 now, very infuriating. :mad: :(

I'm on level 948, and level 510 of Candy Crush Soda Saga.

I clearly have no life :blush:
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a recent addiction for me. Won't spend a penny on it. If I run out of lives I go have a life and come back to it later. Only on level 65 and waiting for the next section to open up. In the meantime I'm trying to get three stars on every one of them while I'm waiting.

53, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63 I still need three stars on.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I'm 565 and 262 live given by friends lol, not played for ages I go in spin the wheel have never won the jackpot, then I send lives to friends.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    It's a recent addiction for me. Won't spend a penny on it. If I run out of lives I go have a life and come back to it later. Only on level 65 and waiting for the next section to open up. In the meantime I'm trying to get three stars on every one of them while I'm waiting.

53, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63 I still need three stars on.

It's been a long addiction for me (:o) but I have never spent a penny on it either. Stuck on 1191 for about two weeks >:(
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    I'm 565 and 262 live given by friends lol, not played for ages I go in spin the wheel have never won the jackpot, then I send lives to friends.

I've never won the jackpot either - you assume from the shape of the wheel its as likely as any other prize, but clearly it doesn't work like that:(

I'm liking the sugar drops feature - now when waiting for a new level to open up I go back to sugar drop levels and earn prizes - much better than playing with that damn owl on Dreamtime;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm ashamed to say that I'm still playing this. It gets me through my long, boring commutes to and from work. Currently stuck on level 1198 - it's a timed level in which you get 10 seconds to score a ridiculous number of points.

And I actually have won the jackpot on that wheel thingy - but only once. I was amazed when I won it as I was convinced it was just there for show.
    Forum Member
    I too am ashamed to say I am still playing this game. I am currently stuck on level 1156. I have never paid a penny to play and I've never won the jackpot on the wheel.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I too am ashamed to say I am still playing this game. I am currently stuck on level 1156. I have never paid a penny to play and I've never won the jackpot on the wheel.

Does anyone still play this? I'm on level 1898 :o

And I've never spent a penny on it nor have I won the jackpot on the wheel either :(
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes I'm still playing them all, on level 1313 and I have also never got the jackpot on the wheel spin. Mind you when you get up to these levels they quite often give you treasure chests with rewards to keep you playing I guess. Sad life I have lol.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    Oh yes I'm still playing them all, on level 1313 and I have also never got the jackpot on the wheel spin. Mind you when you get up to these levels they quite often give you treasure chests with rewards to keep you playing I guess. Sad life I have lol.

I actually got the Jackpot for the first and only time last week after several years of playing.