Options

What can we ban this time? Tom Jones "Delilah"?

Comments

• Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Would you be cool with a song about killing coppers being played at a rugby or other sports ground ?

How about 10cc's I Shot the Sheriff as a suggestion
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beach Boys walk into a bar
    "Round?"
    "Round?"
    "Get a round"
    "I get a round?"
    "Get a round...."
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about 10cc's I Shot the Sheriff as a suggestion

Should be alright given that there's no such thing.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. He has a strong point.

There are other songs from that sort of mid to late 1960's era which you never hear played any more, such as "Maxwell's silver hammer" by the Beatles, "I'm gonna get me a gun" by Cat Stevens, as well as "Ruby, don't take your love to town" - sure they're all available on you tube, and rightly so, but are kept out of the mainstream media.

Any song which makes murder seem OK as it's seemingly endorsed by a well known star, is dangerous if played deliberately to an audience IMO, not to mention offensive.

I realise there will be those who have a different opinion, some hysterically so. We will have to agree to disagree.

I bet you're a right bundle of laughs at parties. Of course, that's assuming anybody actually invites you to parties.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868432/Why-Campaign-launched-ban-singing-Tom-Jones-hit-Delilah-Welsh-rugby-matches-glorifies-domestic-violence.html

Welsh politician Dafydd Iwan wants the song banned at Welsh Rugby matches as it "glorifies" violence against women and promotes "revenge killing".

"Ban" the buzz word of 2014, everyone is constantly offended.

Dafydd Iwan, who is he ? just another attention seeking idiot.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see how on earth this song glorifies murder. :confused:

There are some much more, and intentional violent songs about today, in the form of rap etc.

If we start going back and looking at 60's lyrics, there are plenty that would not be liked today.

Under My Thumb - The Stones
    Run For Your Life - The Beatles

There are a couple from the two biggest bands of all time as starters, but thankfully, most people have more common sense than to want old songs banned.
    And a hell of a lot of rap (and other) songs from more current times like 'Stan'. You wouldn't want it played as an anthem (not that it would work for that) but I think Delilah is way more 'pantomimey' than songs like that. It's just that the chorus of Delilah lends itself to mass singing.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mama, just killed a man,
    Put a gun against his head,
    Pulled my trigger, now he's dead.
    Mama, life had just begun,
    But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Mama, ooh,
    Didn't mean to make you cry,
    If I'm not back again this time tomorrow,
    Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters.
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie MInogue & Nick Cave - Where The Wild Roses Grow" for one.

Yes, a very nice cheerful song about a bloke smashing a rock over his girlfriend's head... :(

Didn't some female MP try and call for a ban on Delilah a few years ago for the same reason?

I'm thinking Marty Robbins 'El-Paso' also has a bit of violence and murder in it, Kenny Rogers 'Coward of the county' and no doubt many more...

Won't be many songs left if you banned them for 'causing offence'...
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone with the stomach - watch this. The reality of domestic violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj2s09HxU0E
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse lyrics (that I can think of now) I've come across are from Diane by Therapy? (originally Husker Du), especially because the music is quite haunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_%28H%C3%BCsker_D%C3%BC_song%29
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    And I said, "My name is Sue! How do you do?
    Now you're gonna die"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
    And he went down, but to my surprise
    He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear
    But I busted a chair right across his teeth
    And we crashed through the wall and into the street
    Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer

Better ban it, encourages father-son violence

Benny Hill was an evil swine

Now Ernie dragged him from his van and beneath the blazing sun,
    They stood there face to face, and Ted went for his bun.
    But Ernie was too quick, things didn't go the way Ted planned,
    And a strawberry-flavoured yogurt sent it spinning from his hand.

Now Susie ran between them and tried to keep them apart,
    And Ernie, he pushed her aside and a rock cake caught him underneath his heart.
    And he looked up in pained surprise and the concrete hardened crust,
    Of a stale pork pie caught him in the eye and Ernie bit the dust.

Death by foodstuff

And how about sweet Olivia Newton John?
    I held a knife against his breast
    As into my arms he pressed
    He cried "my love, don't you murder me
    I'm not prepared for eternity"

I wandered home 'tween twelve and one
    I cried, "My God, what have I done?"
    I've killed the only man I love
    He would not take me for his bride
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Benny Hill was an evil swine

Death by foodstuff

... and animal cruelty as well, when Ted kicked Ernie's horse 'whose name was Trigger...' :(
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where's the part about Delilah being the cause of it? :confused:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I bet you're a right bundle of laughs at parties. Of course, that's assuming anybody actually invites you to parties.

What an utterly pathetic response.

Is that the sum total of your debating skills lol ? :D
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be alright given that there's no such thing.

Bob Marley or Eric Clapton then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming you meant this as a valid point against domestic violence, I get the feeling you're wasting your breath, as you may have noticed that very few are taking the topic seriously.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you meant this as a valid point against domestic violence, I get the feeling you're wasting your breath, as you may have noticed that very few are taking the topic seriously.

Grow up Blueblade of course domestic violence is serious but your are making out any song with issues should be banned...ridiculous.

There are hundreds of murder mysteries shown on tv every week should we ban all those.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Grow up Blueblade of course domestic violence is serious but your are making out any song with issues should be banned...ridiculous.

There are hundreds of murder mysteries shown on tv every week should we ban all those.

Don't forget half the local libraries fiction section.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fuss about nothing. Music is part of entertainment just like TV shows and films etc and murder features in those all the time. And how many people are 'murdered' on stage each night in theatres?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really despair we now have a new thread wanting alcohol banned from tv at 2pm in the afternoon, it's like a virus this "ban" thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where have I said they should be outright banned ?

I'm simply agreeing with the guy who is against a sports ground anthem which has lyrics about a woman being stabbed to death by a jealous bloke. That might be OK with you, but I don't find it acceptable.

As far as growing up, I think it's a shame that an intelligent and articulate poster like you, resorts to personal comments to emphasise a point..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have I said they should be outright banned ?

I'm simply agreeing with the guy who is against a sports ground anthem which has lyrics about a woman being stabbed to death by a jealous bloke. That might be OK with you, but I don't find it acceptable.

As far as growing up, I think it's a shame that an intelligent and articulate poster like you, resorts to personal comments to emphasise a point..

Why do we have to keep being offended by everything, why can't we just live our lives instead of looking at everything and being offended, most people wouldn't even have thought about the lyrics of the song until it has been pointed out.

As for being intelligent and artiuculate I think most of DS would know not associate me with either of those.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    For us stoke fans its more about that we all are well packing in the todger department :D she stood there laughing...i slapped my dick in her hand and she laughed no more

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/stoke_city-chants/delilah/

That's much more entertaining .:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we have to keep being offended by everything, why can't we just live our lives instead of looking at everything and being offended, most people wouldn't even have thought about the lyrics of the song until it has been pointed out.

and to be honest, nor would I have done. But I imagine the scenario to be that some woman (or women) have complained to Daffyd Iwan and he has taken up the case on their behalf.

I doubt he will be successful, but he does have a point.

At the end of the day, anybody can make songs which effectively endorse murder in all its forms. There are many which most here would object to. They too could eventually become adopted as a football ground anthem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and to be honest, nor would I have done. But I imagine the scenario to be that some woman (or women) have complained to Daffyd Iwan and he has taken up the case on their behalf.

I doubt he will be successful, but he does have a point.

At the end of the day, anybody can make songs which effectively endorse murder in all its forms. There are many which most here would object to. They too could eventually become adopted as a football ground anthem.

He doesn't have a point because they are not singing it at women who have been the victims of abuse and mocking them.