Options

Nadine Coyles New American Accent

2»

Comments

• Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certain Derry accents have a twang that is similar to many American intonations, and if you spend a couple of years in the states this can become more pronounced.
    The southside Dublin accent has a similar American style twang. Have you listened to Bono or Enya recently.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evolution in progress. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always liked Nadines voice. When she firs moved to LA people said her accent had changed and I couldn't hear it, she sounded the same to me. She does have an LA twang now though. Inevitable really. I found on holiday there that I had to americanise some words to make myself understood, and her accent is even broader.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think her accent could get any worse.

I was so wrong :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Hardly, Joss has lived out there for like 10 years,since she was 13 it's hardly a fair comparison of course Joss is going to sound more American.

Um...you sure about that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds really odd. Really American but then a bit of Irish floats through.

I'd say it's the opposite. Predominately Derry (Northern Ireland) accent with the odd word or two having an American twang to it. I live in Belfast and consider the Derry accent to be the very worst!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Her accent always make me think of marshmallows lol

LOL!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    flakecake wrote: »
    Irish with an American twang,lol. She should stick to one or the other, she does sound rather strange like that. I like Nadine though, so I just hope she continues to sing in her normal voice.
    Her "normal" singing voice -- like most British pop singers, with notable exceptions like Sophie Ellis Bextor -- basically just consists of an affected American accent anyway.

Unfortunately, for too long now, kids have been exposed to so much American music and so many American singers (and British singers who've previously been brought up the same way) that they think that's just the way you're supposed to sing.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Err, the less you "talk" sing the less of an accent comes through in singing by default.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad has a Welsh/American accent. It's so odd talking to him on the phone.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uhh, that doesn't resemble any American accent I've ever heard. North, south, east or west. Not at all. lol. Not even the "twang" some of you speak about.

When I think of London. Her voice comes to mind.
  • Options
    guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as predicted in post 21 when everyone thought Nadine was goint to topple Cheryl

http://www.digitalspy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377819&highlight=

i assume as it did not happen it is time to slag of Nadine
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say it's the opposite. Predominately Derry (Northern Ireland) accent with the odd word or two having an American twang to it. I live in Belfast and consider the Derry accent to be the very worst!

I agree, it's predominantly still a Derry accent and i agree her accent is the worst in Ireland . No fault of Nadine of course, we can't choose where we are born.
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand the woman, but I have to defend her here. She is living in America and has been for some time and is engaged to an American and runs a restaurant presumably surrounded the whole time by Americans. I think there is a strong possibility that she will develop the accent.

I have yet to lose my Welsh accent since I moved here, but my son lost his within weeks of attending the local school.

It sounds hideous, but it's not faked. I mean if you were going to fake an accent would you really choose to sound like that??:eek:
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people change their accents to be more easily understood. I lived in Australia for over a year and where I was staying, there weren't many Irish people. For about a week it was cute when everyone pointed out the way I pronounced things but it got real old, real quick. I deliberatly started to pronounce my words properlyl. Instead of say tree (3), I would say three. It was strange at first but I soon got the hang of it. When I left Australia, people still thought I had a strong Irish accent but when I got home, everyone thought I sounded posh and stuck up! After about a day I was back to my normal accent (think turty tree and a turd, filum, brudder etc) :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha! I think she's been seeing someone that's been trying to teach her to speak with an American accent. You can clearly hear the Irish in her voice coming to the surface. She sounds completely ridiculous to be honest. The interviewer must be trying hard to keep a straight face.
  • Options
    Sparkling GemSparkling Gem Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Bless her, she does sound a tad odd:o
    Can't be helped as she's living there though, just a shame it's mixed with the Derry accent:D
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    oh god I have to listen to that one