Options

Question?

abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
I have tickets to a morning Athletics session (10am) and also at the same time a ticket for a trip up the Orbit (10.30am). I gather that once I leave the Olympic Stadium I cant get back in but if I don't go in until after my trip up the Orbit will my seat still be available. In my mind I am sure that my seat will be avilable no matter what time I enter the stadium, but I can't find an answer on any of the help pages (although I haven't looked very hard) and it's such a trivial thing I don't want to waste the time of customer services.

Comments

• Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure - I would assume it's OK, but it probably is worth getting in touch. The only suggestion I'd have is to maybe arrive as early as possible and try and get on the Orbit earlier (or ask at the entrance whether you can go after your session) - I'm sure they'll be flexible in this respect, particularly in the morning.
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn up at the Athletics. I'm sure you'll be there well before 10am to soak up the atmosphere.
    Ask your question as you enter. And ask again..and maybe once more too.
    If they say no...then forget the mangled iron and enjoy the real spectacle.
    If they say yes, you may still decide to sit put. I would.
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    I have tickets to a morning Athletics session (10am) and also at the same time a ticket for a trip up the Orbit (10.30am). I gather that once I leave the Olympic Stadium I cant get back in but if I don't go in until after my trip up the Orbit will my seat still be available. In my mind I am sure that my seat will be avilable no matter what time I enter the stadium, but I can't find an answer on any of the help pages (although I haven't looked very hard) and it's such a trivial thing I don't want to waste the time of customer services.

You'll be fine - on the days I went there were occasions when I saw people arriving two hours after the scheduled start. (Eg if there two basketball matches in a session)

The only problem you might find is some chancer might try to occupy the seat in an effort to get a better view - I saw that a few times as well:) But every time they left without fuss when the ticket holder arrived.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    If you still want to use your Orbit ticket you will just have to miss the first hour of the athletics. There is no re-entry to the Olympic stadium - once you leave you cannot go back - and the Orbit is outside the stadium ticketing checks.

You won't lose your seat - the day I saw the athletics during the Olympics one guy didn't turn up until 11.30am when the session started at 10am (as he only wanted to see Bolt in the 200m heats).

You could try getting to the Orbit early - say 9.30am (they might let you in early).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

You could try getting to the Orbit early - say 9.30am (they might let you in early).

Definately worth asking - I'm sure if there's a space they'll try to accomodate you.

When I went to a basketball session we found our view was obscured by safety rails:( but we spoke to some nice people at the ticket resolution tent and they quickly found us some better seats:)
  • Options
    Anne_SternAnne_Stern Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your help. Will definately get there early in the hope that I can get on the Orbit early - otherwise I may just give up on the idea and enjoy the atmosphere of the Olympic Stadium
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you, I would definitely turn up early for the Orbit. If they don't let you in, I would definitely do the Athletics, and then try and get into the Orbit again afterwards. The Orbit is great, but it will be there after the Olympics, plus absolutely nothing compares to the atmosphere in the Stadium and I wouldn't want to miss a minute.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    definately don't miss a minute of the athletics in the stadium
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Athletics is one where seats will be safe, ones where day passes allow people to sit in empty seats will be interesting for latecomers!
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Opaque wrote: »
    Athletics is one where seats will be safe, ones where day passes allow people to sit in empty seats will be interesting for latecomers!
    Its been reported if you have seats for a specific session then its a seperate area to the day pass tickets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is great :)
    What I mean is that because most of the tickets have been sold someone is going to have to decide at what point do seats where people haven't turned up will be made available to people with the day passes.
    In the Olympics I saw people turning up for only one of a two game session, or being an hour late for a session. Unless they are going to be turfing people with day passes out if 'full" ticket holders turn up there is going to have to be some sort of cut off. Which I haven't heard of yet.
    The purely day passes are great but were designed for a less successful Paralympics ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I mean is that because most of the tickets have been sold someone is going to have to decide at what point do seats where people haven't turned up will be made available to people with the day passes.
    Its very unlikely they would do that. There is nothing in the ticket T&Cs say you have to be there at a specific time. If you choose to only attend half a session, thats your choice, and right to do so. It was very common in the multi match team sessions I went to in the Olympics, such as Handball, where a number of spectators only showed up half way through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Olympics I saw people turning up for only one of a two game session, or being an hour late for a session. Unless they are going to be turfing people with day passes out if 'full" ticket holders turn up there is going to have to be some sort of cut off. Which I haven't heard of yet.
    The purely day passes are great but were designed for a less successful Paralympics ;)

I don't think there will be any problem re. deciding when to let people use "empty" seats.

Assuming you are correct - and I do agree with you - that day pass was created because it was felt that the paralympics wouldn't be that popular I suspect they would have worked something like this:

On the day of a session it would be known how many seats were unsold - lets say 500. They would then allow the first 500 day pass holders in who would be told to go to the ticket resolution tent to get a seat/ticket. Thanks to the electronic scanning system they employ it'll be a fairly straightforward process - one of the volunteers told me that the scanners at each venue are linked. (Why she told me is a intriguing story - suffice to say I nearly wasn't allowed into the Velodrome:eek: )

So there won't be someone scanning the venue for empty seats because a sold seat is regarded as occupied. (I'd assume if they scan people who leave early those seats couod also be made available.) I accept all this is conjecture on my part but from what I saw and experienced it seems quite plausible.

Now I suspect with the popularity of the Paralympics the above won't come into play as much as originally envisaged but I wouldn't be surprised if some tickets are deliberately not sold to allow some day ticket access - imagine the fuss if people bought day tickets/passes and no one could use them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The day pass seats are NOT the same as normal seats, they are seperate areas, and the number filled not related to whether the specific seat tickets are filled or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Meepers, have you got a link to that info somewhere on their site as that is not what they told me when I asked the officials a while ago. They said that all session ticket holders would be seated before they let any day pass holders in atall and that if all tickets were sold day pass people would just not get in. Of course many things have changed over time but if you have a link I'd love to be fully informed. Those of us bothering to find out what is really going on get a better experience than the large number of people I saw totally ignorant about even the most basic information (eg moaning about 'not being told' they couldn't take drinks in).

The system they used in the Olympics of checking people out if they left early and reusing the seats will certainly be used but I still think demand will be very high so any link to information on numbers set aside for day passes would be interesting to see. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    In a statement widely reported in the media:

eg:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19371503

Mr Deighton explained: "If you take the venues like goalball where effectively you have got a mixture of people in that venue and about a quarter of seats will be general admission for people who want to watch that sport - then there will be about three-quarter of the seats that will be for people who are rotating through on a day pass.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    When I went to a basketball session we found our view was obscured by safety rails:( but we spoke to some nice people at the ticket resolution tent and they quickly found us some better seats:)

When my parents went to the Olympic opening ceremony rehearsal, their view was obstructed by a massive wall blocking most of their view. My dad took a picture of their view and showed it to a member of staff and they found them some better seats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Zulul17 :)
    So that basically means that theres loads more tickets they could have sold then ;)
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your ticket in the stadium is from 10:00 until the session end time, which, according to the session times, could be anything from 12:40 to 14:15, depending on which day you go.

I'd try getting up the Orbit earlier than your 10:30 time. If you end up queueing for that, and your athletics session ends at 12:40, you'll be running out of time and that'll be it; you won't be able to stay on for the next session in the stadium.
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Your ticket in the stadium is from 10:00 until the session end time, which, according to the session times, could be anything from 12:40 to 14:15, depending on which day you go.

I'd try getting up the Orbit earlier than your 10:30 time. If you end up queueing for that, and your athletics session ends at 12:40, you'll be running out of time and that'll be it; you won't be able to stay on for the next session in the stadium.

I was thinking of doing that - getting to the Park around 9ish in the hope that I could get on early, if not, then I think I'll give the Orbit a miss - I'll only get one chance to get inside the Stadium but the Orbit will be there after the Olympics so will have an opportunity to go up it after the games have finished