how to set time clock on a stoves SGB700PS

TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very boring I know, but this thing is driving me mad. The instruction booklet is next to useless, there's three buttons on the front and the manual says 'hold the button in....' argghhh.

The cooker itself has had an intermittment fault in the top oven since I bought it in March 2010 and it took a threatening letter to get an engineer with half a brain out to fix the darn thing a couple of weeks ago. He left without resetting the clock. Would some kind FM give me an idiots guide please?

Comments

• ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you actually tried holding one of the buttons in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Ive just looked a photo o the cooker and there seems to be three buttons.
    I would hold the centre one down and then use the right or left key to move the time orwards or backwards then release the centre button.

Just a guess but worth a try.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Thanks for that, but been there did that, it's a Newhomes cooker, totally different to my model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Davetwo and Scratchplate

Thank you for your advice.

I've held the centre button in (function button allegedly) to no avail and tried using the up and down keys either side but it's been hopeless. Have had several clever chaps round to attempt to set it but no good. The manual is next to useless as per normal.

I got fed up and turned the electric off at the wall and went out and when I came back I turned it on and eventually the clock sort of set itself - however it's a 24 hour clock and it's reset itself back to front - ie at 6 in the morning says 1800hrs - but that's liveable with. :)
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    Very boring I know, but this thing is driving me mad. The instruction booklet is next to useless, there's three buttons on the front and the manual says 'hold the button in....' argghhh.

I bought a Proline DAB clock radio a couple of years ago.

It has two alarms, but impossible to set them without painstakingly following the instructions (and it's one of those where there are timeouts associated with buttons otherwise it goes back to some other mode).

But, then, after following the instructions exactly, you check the alarm time, and it's reverted to it's previous time!

The solution was easy: I just put the old LED clock radio next to it, and used that instead for the clock and alarm! (The proline display is virtually invisible in the dark anyway. It's also been set to the same station for two years because it's so difficult to change!)
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got fed up and turned the electric off at the wall and went out and when I came back I turned it on and eventually the clock sort of set itself - however it's a 24 hour clock and it's reset itself back to front - ie at 6 in the morning says 1800hrs - but that's liveable with. :)
    If you do that again, you can note what time it comes up with (quite possibly midnight) and then do it again when you actually get to that time.

Or you could try a question to Stoves on their Contact Us page requesting a detailed explanation of how to do it properly.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a display with a number of function indicators? Like start time, stop time, length of time (usually only two of those three), time countdown, clock?

If so I'd guess that pressing the central button will move a light to exch indicator in turn. When it gets to the clock one, the buttons either side will move the displayed time back and forth.

With about 5 seconds allowed for each step, or it'll go back to the beginning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies.

Bart - I loved your solution to your problem - LOL. Creative problem solving by thinking laterally!

Jsmith99 - oh, if only it were that easy ..... the instructions have befuddled chaps of a technical nature.

Albertd - I shall try the contact us page at Stoves, but having had 18 months of frustration attempting to get the problem with my oven resolved, I was hoping someone on DS had such a cooker and would give me an idiot's guide!

Will update you in due course....
  • JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if this helps it does say its a Stove cooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEabbhP6xo
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, but been there did that, it's a Newhomes cooker, totally different to my model.
    They aren't totally different, stoves newhome is just a lower "brand" of stoves but 99% of working parts are identical, I believe with the stoves 3 button timers you press the two outer buttons (plus and minus "or" up and down symbols) in for a few seconds then set the time.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    I dont know if this helps it does say its a Stove cooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEabbhP6xo
    Many people call their cookers a "stove" (as they have in your clip) but this ones actually a brand called Stoves, the cooker in your video is an electrolux which uses a different timer.