Over the Top Ten's

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Oh, do different dances attract different characters in broad terms?? :cool: I wonder why? For example, Salsa people (so far) seem quite 'earthy' (I picked that word on purpose instead of horny or mucky :p:)).

I watched your Charleston competition vid on that other thread... Forgive me asking because I don't mean it badly at all, but are the Charleston and Lindy Hop geeky kinds of dance? There's something in the looseness and the shuffle-iness of them that looks offbeat and counter-cultureish. I'm used on SCD to seeing Charleston as a bit twee. But your guys looked like the jazz age come alive.

Oh, and thank you to all the dance people on the forum who can share their expertise. Yeah, yeah, yeah, SCD can't reach those standards and Abbey, Pat etc can't be accountable for their choreography, but you all add something that us ordinary joes wouldn't be able to guess at without you.

Aw! Yes, I love to read others takes on the particular dances, it's somewhere to hide from Fanwarz :)

Yes, it's pretty geeky. When I first moved to Manchester in 2007 there were only 12 Lindy hoppers here, three were physicists, three were IT consultants, and one was a traffic light engineer :D

I'm often the least qualified person in the room, because I only have an MA :p

There are lots of geeky swing blogs, this post is fun and has lots of comments (someone describes AT as a 'walking hug, with physics' so I wonder if they attract a lot of scientists too)

http://rebeccabrightly.com/top-10-reasons-nerdy-person-learn-dance/
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a matter of fact I wasn't. I don't know you and your opinion is of no importance to me. In fact I have never even noticed you on DS before. You flatter yourself to think you feature in my thinking in any shape or form.

I was referring to real people who I know at work, neighbours and so forth who know that salsa is one of my passions. They know I go out after 10pm in all weathers to dance salsa and wonder why anyone would do that. I get intense joy from dancing and salsa in particular. For some of us discovering something that brings such pleasure is something you want to share in the hope that others may also experience happiness. So when it is portrayed on national TV as something completely at odds with what it is I is more than disappointing.

If you find that difficult to understand then I hope that one day you too find something life affirming that brings you such joy that you want others to experience it too. :)

That accusation could be applied to pretty much every type of dance performed on SCD at one point or another to be fair.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Oh, do different dances attract different characters in broad terms?? :cool: I wonder why? For example, Salsa people (so far) seem quite 'earthy' (I picked that word on purpose instead of horny or mucky :p:)).

I watched your Charleston competition vid on that other thread... Forgive me asking because I don't mean it badly at all, but are the Charleston and Lindy Hop geeky kinds of dance? There's something in the looseness and the shuffle-iness of them that looks offbeat and counter-cultureish. I'm used on SCD to seeing Charleston as a bit twee. But your guys looked like the jazz age come alive.

Oh, and thank you to all the dance people on the forum who can share their expertise. Yeah, yeah, yeah, SCD can't reach those standards and Abbey, Pat etc can't be accountable for their choreography, but you all add something that us ordinary joes wouldn't be able to guess at without you.

Hmm what an interesting question. I am tempted to say yes but would need to give it some thought. Certainly the people at a milonga are a very different crowd than at a salsa gig. And when my Argentine Tango teacher set up teaching around here I helped him with the marketing. As we were already part of the salsa community we initially did most of our marketing there. We did attract students but very few took to it. Now I think there are only a handful of regulars (if that) that do both styles.

I also think earthy is a good word to describe salsa. It is an Afro Cuban dance so in anthropological terms I imagine the echos of very human concerns to do with fertility, war, weather, divinity are embedded in the movements. Even if we have lost touch with their original functions it is conceivable that this sort of heritage has been passed through the generations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That accusation could be applied to pretty much every type of dance performed on SCD at one point or another to be fair.

Indeed. :)
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »

Perhaps not every one.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Perhaps not every one.

Yep I'd say pretty much every one of the 10 standard ballroom and latin dances performed on SCD could have had that statement made about them at some point in the show's history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terry, what accent do you speak with? Just being nosy. Would add even more to my enjoyment of your posts -- otherwise my sense floats too free.

'Is that so?' I heard first with a south Carolina accent, and then with an Edinburgh accent. But you usually sound Bristolean. I'm sure all of these guesses are wrong. Please help. :cool:

How funny. I had Terry down as a South Westerner too. I wonder why. Maybe something he has said at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw! Yes, I love to read others takes on the particular dances, it's somewhere to hide from Fanwarz :)

Yes, it's pretty geeky. When I first moved to Manchester in 2007 there were only 12 Lindy hoppers here, three were physicists, three were IT consultants, and one was a traffic light engineer :D

There are lots of geeky swing blogs, this post is fun and has lots of comments (someone describes AT as a 'walking hug, with physics' so I wonder if they attract a lot of scientists too)

Yes it does in my experience. That was the first thing that went through my mind reading your comment and then Pet's fascinating question. Science and maths is a very common theme especially among the men in AT, at least around here. I have often mused that there is something sort of chess like about AT that perhaps appeals to that logical, methodical mind.
  • Options
    lougarrylougarry Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    As a matter of fact I wasn't. I don't know you and your opinion is of no importance to me. In fact I have never even noticed you on DS before. You flatter yourself to think you feature in my thinking in any shape or form.

I was referring to real people who I know at work, neighbours and so forth who know that salsa is one of my passions. They know I go out after 10pm in all weathers to dance salsa and wonder why anyone would do that. I get intense joy from dancing and salsa in particular. For some of us discovering something that brings such pleasure is something you want to share in the hope that others may also experience happiness. So when it is portrayed on national TV as something completely at odds with what it is I is more than disappointing.

If you find that difficult to understand then I hope that one day you too find something life affirming that brings you such joy that you want others to experience it too. :)

Well, that was unnecessarily rude and aggressive.

You said 'people up and down the country' - so unsurprisingly, BusStop (as a person who lives somewhere up, or, as it might be, down from where you are located) thought you were referring in general terms to the British public of which he/she appears to be one. Now you tell us you mean specific acquaintances with whom you discuss your love of salsa.

This was not clear - in fact is was misleading - and jumping down BusStop's throat was unwarranted.

Cuh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one finding them throwing 10's about the place annoying. I actually found myself shouting "If it isn't perfect it isn't 10" last night. It just devalues it when a dance truly deserves a 10 for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lougarry wrote: »

You said 'people up and down the country' - so unsurprisingly, BusStop (as a person who lives somewhere up, or, as it might be, down from where you are located) thought you were referring in general terms to the British public of which he/she appears to be one. Now you tell us you mean specific acquaintances with whom you discuss your love of salsa.

This was not clear - in fact is was misleading - and jumping down BusStop's throat was unwarranted.

Cuh.

It's hard to be totally polite when defending the integrity of something you love and work hard at - passion is rife! I'm a bit of a Pollyanna and I still get a bit shirty sounding at times. I blame the textual form :)
  • Options
    lougarrylougarry Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    It's hard to be totally polite when defending the integrity of something you love and work hard at - passion is rife! I'm a bit of a Pollyanna and I still get a bit shirty sounding at times. I blame the textual form :)

Oh, I quite understand that. Passion and being 'a bit shirty sounding' I can get on board with. But:

I don't know you and your opinion is of no importance to me. In fact I have never even noticed you on DS before. You flatter yourself to think you feature in my thinking in any shape or form.

is rather a long way from 'totally polite'...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I quite understand that. Passion and being 'a bit shirty sounding' I can get on board with. But:

I don't know you and your opinion is of no importance to me. In fact I have never even noticed you on DS before. You flatter yourself to think you feature in my thinking in any shape or form.

is rather a long way from 'totally polite'...

Well, I did say I was a Pollyanna! :o
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicangel wrote: »
    Some dances deserved 10's and got 9's, are they mad to think the GBP dont notice this?

Not fair judges treat everyone same, a mistake is a mistake!

I don't think any of the dances deserved 10s, and some should have got more 7s and 8s, imo. Can't believe Craig got his first 10 out for a for a disco number (the others didn't surprise me with their sometimes silly scoring).
  • Options
    labasheedylabasheedy Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the Top Ten's.....what?

:)
  • Options
    TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,781
    Forum Member
    musicangel wrote:
    First time since start I was out when SCD was on, just watched it, I seriously can not believe how many ten's were dished out for dances, that weren't close to ten's had mistakes in them, and still got the perfect score, is a ten for not being perfect now?
    Yeah, the scores go a bit weird sooner or later every series, but this series seems to be one of the worst.

I might make a poll...
    I thought it was Bus Stop who'd initiated the rudeness tbh.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges seem to think that Abbeys dance was one of the best dances in a Strictly history, that's what a perfect score is meant to mean. Nothing they can say will ever convince me that it was anything other than a reasonably good dance & nothing more. For me it's the biggest piece of manipulative leaderboard rigging since Matt & Flavia's 'perfect' waltz & trying to force Tom out.

At least no could argue that Mavia's waltz wasn't in fact a waltz at all or that it wasn't good. I'd say it was worse.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably the only thing I remember being said to me in my early life was this. I was about six at the time and I can still hear it ringing out loud and clear. The headteacher recited this Chinese proverb:

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool - shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child - teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man - follow him.

Confucius, The Analects

Or in this case, the "wise man" is a "wise woman" - and that would be An Thropologist, La Bella Salsera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cuh.

Totally warranted. An FM was rude and impertinent to An Thropologist and is the first FM to refer rudely to another FM in this thread. Clearly against DS rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I liked this: "You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to."

Hey, no need to even buy a drink let alone food and flowers.

[Oh my first degree was in Probability >:)]
    ... I have often mused that there is something sort of chess like about AT that perhaps appeals to that logical, methodical mind.

No diagonal moves allowed in AT though. ;)
    Maybe more like PacMan? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked this: "You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to."

Hey, no need to even buy a drink let alone food and flowers.

[Oh my first degree was in Probability >:)]

No diagonal moves allowed in AT though. ;)
    Maybe more like PacMan?
    :cool:

Indeed Not a dance for bishops. Great for knights though.:D
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just talked to my mum who is usually quite supportive of the judges and agrees with them (who also thinks Mark should have gone weeks ago and the public 'can't be trusted' to vote for the right people to stay) and she thinks Abbey is being totally overmarked. She's voting a lot for Sophie at the moment almost every week which will warm the hearts for her supporters on here.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Never mind the 10s being given out so easily this year but I ám tired of the "standing ovasions!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<. It all seems so co-ordination and not a natural reaction to a great performance from the celebs.