What have I got myself into??

kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
Forum Member
Okay peeps, I have been talking to this guy on FB for 5 years and we have discussed meeting up many times. I have finally bitten the bullet and have arranged to meet him in Athens in Feb. ( He is Greek).

Now comes the crunch, he is quite obviously ready to ravish me the minute I get off the plane but, to be honest, I would prefer to take some time. I am only there for three days and am truly quite terrified, having not "been" with a man for blinking years.

I have been over in my head how to let him know that I am not going to jump into bed with him without sounding too prudish, (i'm not, believe me). The only other thing I may do is forfeit my airfare and cancel.

What would you do? Be gentle with me, i'm a coward.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say sex is not a forgone conclusion.
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Do you and he consider yourselves to be in a romantic relationship? Is that what you mean by 'talking' on FB? Whatever you both think, you are strangers to each other regardless of how many years you've been talking online .. and would you sleep with a stranger?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you and he consider yourselves to be in a romantic relationship? Is that what you mean by 'talking' on FB? Whatever you both think, you are strangers to each other regardless of how many years you've been talking online .. and would you sleep with a stranger?

This.

You have to be VERY brave going all the way to Greece to meet someone you have never met. Foreign country, foreign language and unfamiliar location. Really not great. Of course, this man could be who he says he is and completely genuine. On the other hand... he might not be.

You are (presumably) a grown woman so you can ultimately make your own mind up but do be aware of what you are doing. I also hope you have a hotel booked. As staying at his would, imo be the height of stupidity on top of the risk you are taking going there in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I would be very wary, he might just be after your money.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way would I go to Athens have sex with a Greek man.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be completely honest. If you've been talking for 5 years and like him enough to go to Greece, you must be petty close with each other and should be able to talk honestly.

Just be safe and don't be putting yourself in a dangerous situation.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have your own accommodation booked, and also, prepare to be disappointed - chemistry online rarely translates to real life chemistry. It might though!!

On the other hand, you'll have 3 glorious days in Athens, so much to see and do. A fabulous city!!! Win:win either way.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be very wary, he might just be after your money.

On what basis do you say that? You don't know if OP has more money than the man...
    It sounds like, judging by some replies, there is like a sort of prejudice about the fact he is Greek.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    On what basis do you say that? You don't know if OP has more money than the man...
    It sounds like, judging by some replies, there is like a sort of prejudice about the fact he is Greek.
    Probably more to do that the posters are aware of online relationship scams.
  • kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    This.

You have to be VERY brave going all the way to Greece to meet someone you have never met. Foreign country, foreign language and unfamiliar location. Really not great. Of course, this man could be who he says he is and completely genuine. On the other hand... he might not be.

You are (presumably) a grown woman so you can ultimately make your own mind up but do be aware of what you are doing. I also hope you have a hotel booked. As staying at his would, imo be the height of stupidity on top of the risk you are taking going there in the first place.

I am not a stranger to Greece or Greek men, having worked there for 2 years way back when. I am pretty sure he is who he says he is, so no worries there.

Oh yes, I am going to book a hotel, it's just that I have no intention of jumping into bed with him straight away. I was just wanting to know the best way of telling him this. I think that Yeah Jackie said it well. Sex is not a foregone conclusion. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »

People conning other people out of money isn't restricted to any particular nationality and it can be done online or in the 'real world'

I know that no matter how much you get to know someone online, it's not the same as getting to know someone face to face, dating and building a relationship. People can present themselves in a favourable way online and you can't know how you will feel about that person until you actually meet, face to face. You might not particularly fancy them once you meet them and that could result in unpleasantness, to say the least, if they are expecting a sexual enoounter.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Athens is great OP, I hope you have a great time. :cool:
    Armi wrote: »

Try North London ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kareena46 wrote: »
    I am not a stranger to Greece or Greek men, having worked there for 2 years way back when. I am pretty sure he is who he says he is, so no worries there.

Oh yes, I am going to book a hotel, it's just that I have no intention of jumping into bed with him straight away. I was just wanting to know the best way of telling him this. I think that Yeah Jackie said it well. Sex is not a foregone conclusion. Thanks.
    Tell him you'd like to get to know him first, and suggest a coffee, a meal, a walk. Talk to him, see if you like the real man rather than the Facebook friend. If you do, if there's a connection, then go with the flow. If not, don't be afraid to walk away.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greek men are great in bed :p
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, why are you worried about telling him this? You're really not unusual at all in feeling that way, I would say a lot of women would be the same after meeting someone online, especially as you feel anxious having not been with anyone for a while as well.

Just explain you will need to get to know each other in person too before you would want to get physical. Honestly, if he's anything but a complete arse he will be fine with it.

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy Greece!
  • kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why are you worried about telling him this? You're really not unusual at all in feeling that way, I would say a lot of women would be the same after meeting someone online, especially as you feel anxious having not been with anyone for a while as well.

Just explain you will need to get to know each other in person too before you would want to get physical. Honestly, if he's anything but a complete arse he will be fine with it.

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy Greece!

Thanks Bex, I really do want to go to Athens as it has been years since i was there.
    I am hoping he is not a complete arse, as he was understanding when I said I would prefer to have a hotel room rather than his place.
    I do feel that I know enough about him to trust him in regards to him not being after my money, (as someone said). and yes, I agree with Xela M, Greek men are bloody great in bed. ( As far as I remember) lol.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Have you ever watched catfish?
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People conning other people out of money isn't restricted to any particular nationality and it can be done online or in the 'real world'

I know that no matter how much you get to know someone online, it's not the same as getting to know someone face to face, dating and building a relationship. People can present themselves in a favourable way online and you can't know how you will feel about that person until you actually meet, face to face. You might not particularly fancy them once you meet them and that could result in unpleasantness, to say the least, if they are expecting a sexual enoounter.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Probably more to do that the posters are aware of online relationship scams.

Yes, of course there are lots of scammers out there, but she has been talking to this person for five years after all and a scammer starts talking about money pretty soon.

Having met my bf online, I can say that yes, it's a bit awkward... no matter how intimate you got online, reality is always gonna turn out different.
    Bf sounded ready to ravish me too before our meeting, but he did make sure I was comfortable and didn't pressure me into sleeping with him right away.
    Forum Member
    kareena46 wrote: »
    Thanks Bex, I really do want to go to Athens as it has been years since i was there.
    I am hoping he is not a complete arse, as he was understanding when I said I would prefer to have a hotel room rather than his place.
    I do feel that I know enough about him to trust him in regards to him not being after my money, (as someone said). and yes, I agree with Xela M, Greek men are bloody great in bed. ( As far as I remember) lol.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Quite. But, if he's that hot in bed what's he been doing for the last five years while he's been talking to you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Have you ever watched catfish?
    Are you thinking sexy Greek man is actually middle-aged, unhappily married, with a lonely, unfulfilled personal life? :o
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »

This. It's a tidy arrangement for him, on tap, at no cost. I couldn't respect a man who thought that was acceptable or appropriate.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    This would be an extremely risky thing to do. You'd be surprised at how many men have the capability to turn nasty if they don't get what they want. You'll be on his territory with no means of escape if things turn bad. Let's face it, to him you're only going out there for one reason no matter how many excuses you make about hotel rooms etc. Compared to your personal safety, a loss of airfare is nothing.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five years?! Crikey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    This. It's a tidy arrangement for him, on tap, at no cost. I couldn't respect a man who thought that was acceptable or appropriate.
    I wonder why she's going to Greece instead of him coming to the UK?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I wonder why she's going to Greece instead of him coming to the UK?

Because he's a creep with a sense of entitlement, and she's a vulnerable compliant individual.