Cream carpet regrets

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    This thread has been making me smile so much, but I am relieved for you that the change has been made!

We only ever had one cream carpet for hall/stairs/landing - which we put in on estate agents' advise to help sell a house. I did feel quite guilty about the new owners inheriting it......
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I've got cream carpets, biggest mistake of my life, for all the reasons all the other posters have said!! I have replaced the hall and dining room with wood floor and saving up to get the living room done next and then replace upstairs with a darker colour. NEVER AGAIN!!

Glad you managed to change them OP.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Crisis averted! We've gone for a slightly darker carpet with biscuity undertones and a fleck! Phew!

Now just have to figure out how to make amends with the sales rep after pissing her off over something else!! :D

Mum and dad have this style and colour carpet and its lovely, still makes the rooms look big but also hides things.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wooden floor throughout my house, and after my weekly mop I'm so glad I do when I see the colour of the water! I hate the thought of carpet and all the dirt its hiding.

I did have a cream rug but got rid after about the 50th time my baby vomited on it. :D

Good luck floozie, I hope you can change the colour to what you want but if not it's not the end of the world and moving to your new house will still be ace :)
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently got cream carpets for the stairs, landing and bedrooms and yes, I am constantly watching them for signs of dirt! No outdoor shoes go up the stairs and no drinks either, other than plain water. Footwear is slippers or flip flops. I have a mat placed directly at the bottom of the stairs which is used rigorously to wipe feet on before setting foot on carpet and that no doubt helps. So far it's not been a problem to keep clean but may become more difficult over the longer term as the odd spill or stain inevitably happens and dust gathers around the edges, as others have pointed out.

Got rid of all carpets on the ground floor and that is marvellous as I could never keep them clean, what with constant trekking in and out from front and back garden. It's also pleasant to be able to sweep a floor with a simple brush and to wipe it clean with a mop.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you avoided cream carpets. From experience I would say they are only good in a room that's barely used and if you have / will be having kids or pets then you can kiss goodbye to them looking even remotely presentable.

Homeward wrote: »
    This thread has been making me smile so much, but I am relieved for you that the change has been made!

We only ever had one cream carpet for hall/stairs/landing - which we put in on estate agents' advise to help sell a house. I did feel quite guilty about the new owners inheriting it......

I don't get what estate agents obsession is with cream carpets. My brother in law is an estate agent and is told to recommend them as "they make the house look fresh". But a house can still look fresh with darker, natural tones.

oulandy wrote: »
    I recently got cream carpets for the stairs, landing and bedrooms and yes, I am constantly watching them for signs of dirt! No outdoor shoes go up the stairs and no drinks either, other than plain water. Footwear is slippers or flip flops. I have a mat placed directly at the bottom of the stairs which is used rigorously to wipe feet on before setting foot on carpet and that no doubt helps. So far it's not been a problem to keep clean but may become more difficult over the longer term as the odd spill or stain inevitably happens and dust gathers around the edges, as others have pointed out.

Got rid of all carpets on the ground floor and that is marvellous as I could never keep them clean, what with constant trekking in and out from front and back garden. It's also pleasant to be able to sweep a floor with a simple brush and to wipe it clean with a mop.

The problem is that over time they become marked and discoloured and not over a particularly long period of time either... within a year. When we had them they were fine for a while but no matter how hard we tried, the dust problem around the edges and just general wear became really obvious.

Then added kids into the equation and boom, they were wrecked so we replaced them with a darker tone.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Regarding the dark problem around the edges of cream carpets, when I used John Lewis to fit new carpets upstairs 2 years ago, they recommended an edging treatment (at extra cost) to prevent (or perhaps minimise) this problem. They did the treatment in the morning, having removed the old carpets, then returned later in the day to fit the new carpets. My carpets are very pale beige rather than cream and the landing has a slight fleck but John Lewis recommend the edging treatment for all pale carpets. My carpets are not too bad, two years on - the worse area is around my dressing table where there have been a few mishaps with make-up but not particularly visible to the casual observer. My 3 cats do tear into the carpets but they would do this no matter what the colour. Generally, I am happy enough but I should perhaps have had the fleck carpet in all the rooms - the colour is the same but the slight fleck really does help conceal imperfections.

I haven't had the carpets professionally cleaned yet - I used to get my old ones done yearly which kept them looking good (my fitter was surprised they were as old as they were). I have wooden flooring downstairs with a large rug in the living room so I don't have any need to worry about visitors and their shoes and even the cats' paws are relatively clean by the time they reach upstairs.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK - getting them professionally cleaned once a year sounds like a good idea. How much does something like that cost?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're in the process of buying a new build and recently chose our carpets. I wanted a biscuity colour like Fawn or Alpaca but my fiancé wanted cream as he felt that would match the decor better and he worried the other colours would look dark once it's put down everywhere. (As part of the deal with the house developers we got the carpets for less than a grand but the whole house has to be done in one colour).

I relented and now I'm having sleepless nights thinking about the upkeep of these bloody cream carpets! They're hard wearing and bleach clean so part of me wonders if they're really going to be that bad but then pretty much every time I tell someone we've chosen cream, the response has been a sharp intake of breath and a pained face!

I think I already know I'm going to have to ask to change them but I'm worried it's too late. The developers were insistent on getting the choices before Christmas to make the orders. I suppose I'm looking for some positive tales of cream carpets and some advice on how to keep them clean just in case it's too late!!

We've got thick pile cream carpet in the lounge, dining room, hallway, stairs and landing and touch wood (even with a toddler) we've had no issues with marks etc. I do have a bottle of spray carpet cleaner just in case and had to use it once (I spilt my coffee).

Whoops hit submit by accident. Will continue :)

I generally hoover a couple of times a week, and once a fortnight use the deep clean function on the Hoover. We don't operate a shoes off policy with guests but everybody that comes here has been very respectful and as soon as they see the carpet they insist on removing their shoes. We'd never ask anybody to take them off (unless they were caked in mud etc).

As long as you don't go about sloshing drinks all day I'm sure it will be lovely :-)
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    MarellaK - getting them professionally cleaned once a year sounds like a good idea. How much does something like that cost?

The cost of cleaning landing, stairs and 3 bedrooms was about £70 3 years ago - but I'm sure the price varies between different companies and regions. The professionals do a really deep clean and you can definitely see the difference so, for me, it's good value.

I also have a Miele vaccuum cleaner specifically for pet hair - it was a pricey purchase but also well worth the money.

Good luck with the carpets and new house, it's a very exciting time moving into a brand new home.