Options

Solid Gold GEM AM, it could be a winner!

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even bother to listen to normal broadcast radio these days.

I've just upgraded my Internet from a cap of 10GB per month to unlimited, so the next step is to get a Wi-Fi radio. I don't know anything about Wi-Fi radios, so any quick suggestions (without taking the thread too far off topic) as to the best one to get would be appreciated.

I have the one linked below by Resonance.
    It really is a great machine. Mine is quite old now, but still works perfectly. The sound quality is also great. Mine is nearly always in use listening to stations from around the world. :):)
    Resonance wrote: »
    I've got the Roberts Steam 83i and it's a brilliant radio. It's £118 on Amazon at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Stream-Stereo-Internet-Speaker/dp/B002VEN10O
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am exactly the same. I have actually given up on listening to FM/DAB radio in the car, and opt for the tune in app also. I switched from Vodafone (2G) to EE (3G) to facilitate this. When Vodafone rang me to ask why I was leaving them after 16 years I said 'No 3g coverage, and their response was that they thought all of the UK had 3g coverage!! What a joke!!

I did similar. I was on Tesco Mobile, which piggybacks on O2. 3G coverage was shocking outside of big towns and cities. I moved to Virgin, which piggybacks on EE. What a difference, I can reliably listen in most places, even out in the sticks. I'm really surprised how reliable it is when driving around and listening.

I wire my phone into the aux in on the car radio, so get the audio through the car speakers.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    The main problem I have with my oldish inet radios is the often lack of connection when I switch on. I have to search and reconnect.

The other problem is lack of memory buttons. I only have 5 on the front panel which is pitiful.
    ok, you can scroll through the menus and find 'my stations' etc but it's not a quick operation unlike DAB menus.

Perhaps it's my older radios and the newer models are much better, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    The main problem I have with my oldish inet radios is the often lack of connection when I switch on. I have to search and reconnect.

The other problem is lack of memory buttons. I only have 5 on the front panel which is pitiful.
    ok, you can scroll through the menus and find 'my stations' etc but it's not a quick operation unlike DAB menus.

Perhaps it's my older radios and the newer models are much better, I don't know.

On my Roberts Stream 83i there is a setting that will keep the WiFi connected all the time (even in standby). Even if you don't do that it reconnects to the router by itself in a few seconds when you take it out of standby.

It does only have five presets though, which I agree is not really enough.

All in all though it's the best radio I've had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Hi Ritchie
    Gem am was originally Great East Midlands radio
    And transmitted from Nottingham and Derby
    It was the brainchild of amongst others Len Groat who still broadcasts on this new version
    He now along with several of the presenters retired and went to live abroad
    Many ex gem presenters still on the station
    A few new faces including Patrick Lunt have joined as well
    No adverts original jingles or skillful rerecorded by the original artists and a playlist from the 30s to 80s
    A labour of love as its done voluntarily
    Many listeners now helping it by contributions to its running costs
    The original Gem was the most highly regarded gold station in the UK till it was strangled by GWR and its successors
    The new Gem is even better than its original
    I was about the second person to bang the drum over this station on DS when I heard it was coming back
    PLEASE GIVE IT A LISTEN !!
    As Ritchie myself and so many others can testify you won't be disappointed !!

I tried it the other evening and within a few mins had heard...

Beach Boys - I'm Waiting For The Day
    Frankie Miller - Darlin'
    Brenton Wood - Gimme Little Sign
    Buddy Holly - True Love Ways

If it's that good all the time I'm definitely signed up;-)

Even better, I've just noticed one of the RCN RSL jocks Brian Cullen in the line up:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On my Roberts Stream 83i there is a setting that will keep the WiFi connected all the time (even in standby). Even if you don't do that it reconnects to the router by itself in a few seconds when you take it out of standby.

It does only have five presets though, which I agree is not really enough.

All in all though it's the best radio I've had.

How easy is it to access memory channels stored via the menu?
    On my Logik its something like back-stations-mystuff- mystreams
    Which is 4 presses followed by scroll and select, quite a pain.

Will the Roberts reconnect if the router has become disconnected through interference etc?

I've heard some very good reports about the 83i
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    SGGAM also have a 128kbps aac feed (very high quality alternative to the mp3 feed), well worth feeding through your hifi, if your kit can receive it.

http://uk1-pn.mixstream.net:8264/listen.pls

My old internet radio receiver is not aac compatible, so I have to stream it via my laptop to the hifi. (I use WinAmp).

I'm looking for an internet receiver that is aac+ compatible to add to my Xmas list.:p

Which begs the question, why is the aac+ stream not offered on the TuneIn App?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    How easy is it to access memory channels stored via the menu?
    On my Logik its something like back-stations-mystuff- mystreams
    Which is 4 presses followed by scroll and select, quite a pain.

Will the Roberts reconnect if the router has become disconnected through interference etc?

I've heard some very good reports about the 83i

It's menu>station list >favourites on the Stream 83i.

Can't really comment on WiFi disconnections because of interference as I don't suffer from that, but the other week I had to reboot my router and the radio automatically connected when the router came back to life.

Also when I've been on holiday for a week (when most things get switched off), on return switching on the router and radio is all that's needed. So it seems to sort itself out most (all) the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's menu>station list >favourites on the Stream 83i.

Can't really comment on WiFi disconnections because of interference as I don't suffer from that, but the other week I had to reboot my router and the radio automatically connected when the router came back to life.

Also when I've been on holiday for a week (when most things get switched off), on return switching on the router and radio is all that's needed. So it seems to sort itself out most (all) the time.
    Sounds interesting......thanks for the info.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Pure Internet radios "One Flow & Evoke Flow models" ( I don't know about the others) have infinite storage for your favourite stations you just rotate the selector the stations appear in aphabetical order and press the selector when you get to the station you want to listen to. You can even set up categories to make things easier. It works very well and the sound from Pure is excellent.

Mine normally reconnect automatically should the internet blip although occasionally they stick &require a reboot. I also believe that Pure radios can accept a software upgrade for DAB+.
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    To return the subject of the thread for a station that has the jingle expert Len Groat on board I am puzzled why the Saturday evening program with Paul Burbank uses Good Afternoon jingles even when Paul says Good Evening
  • Options
    HaggisSupperHaggisSupper Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Isnt there something about them 'timeshifting' the programs to also playout '5 hours later' on another link for North American listeners?

So that 'evening' in the UK would be 'afternoon' on east coast America :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt there something about them 'timeshifting' the programs to also playout '5 hours later' on another link for North American listeners?

So that 'evening' in the UK would be 'afternoon' on east coast America :confused:

Yes, you can get the two streams through Tunein. Probably elsewhere, although I can't see the option on their site, maybe it does it automatically via ip address?

http://tunein.com/search/?query=solid%20gold%20gem
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Both streams are available through YourMuze.fm which is a great site if you want to save on bandwidth if you are on a limited download contract.
    I don't listen to DAB/FM at home, I only use yourmuze.fm to access radio stations - normally on a Blackberry Playbook, but also through their iPad app - my 'top' stations are Solid Gold Gem AM , Sunshine Gold, and Paradise Radio.
  • Options
    andysiddellandysiddell Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Both the European and North American Feeds are available via the website www.solidgoldgem.am there's a great big banner on the right hand side on the home page that says "Click here to listen to our 5-hour delayed service".

You can also go directly to the North American part of the website by navigating to www.solidgoldgem.am/na

Hope that helps!

Andy
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    What's good about this station is... that it plays so many records in MY collection (just played Cuba), yet introduces me to new oldies. Fantastic!
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    What's good about this station is... that it plays so many records in MY collection (just played Cuba), yet introduces me to new oldies. Fantastic!

Trust Que Sera Mi Vida is in that collection as well
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Trust Que Sera Mi Vida is in that collection as well

Of course! And Mariana :)
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found GEM a reasonable replacement, lots of variety AND presentation. Strange American news, but the music is great. No interaction, which is strange in this day and age, but enjoying it so far.

The djs don't have the personality of Dean, but the music is good. Particulary the 50s hour between 9 - 10am each morning.

I have only recently found the station. I like the news from Feature Story News (sometimes clips are used by LBC). One newsreader fascinates me, Rebecca Forster. "Feature Story News from Waaashingtoon, I'm Rebecca Foorster"

Simon Marks reads the news and does reports for FSN and is also "our reporter in Washington" for LBC !!
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solid Gold GEM? All day, all night, you are only five minutes from a Phil Collins track. Grrrrreeeat!
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solid Gold GEM? All day, all night, you are only five minutes from a Phil Collins track. Grrrrreeeat!

I have no idea what this comment is meant to mean or why the poster thinks it is relevant?

GEM play music from a library of 8000+ songs, unlike the mainstream stations that stick to a narrow playlist of +/- 100.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I have no idea what this comment is meant to mean or why the poster thinks it is relevant?

GEM play music from a library of 8000+ songs, unlike the mainstream stations that stick to a narrow playlist of +/- 100.

No idea either Simon especially as Phil's tracks are more of an exception rather than a rule !!
    Maybe someone has lost their way from the Heart thread 🙀😁
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even bother to listen to normal broadcast radio these days.

I've just upgraded my Internet from a cap of 10GB per month to unlimited, so the next step is to get a Wi-Fi radio. I don't know anything about Wi-Fi radios, so any quick suggestions (without taking the thread too far off topic) as to the best one to get would be appreciated.

I have a Pure Evoke Flow that is three years old now and has an excellent tone. Very occasionally it refuses to power off for some reason. When that happens I just disconnect from the mains, take the battery out for a second and problem solved. You can manually add station using the Pure website. There is also a handy feature that allows you to identify a song if you don't know what it is.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah Grrrrreat, your listening to Solid Goooooolllllld GEMMMMMMMM, yeah grrrrrreat, we've got Phil Collins coming up, but first here's Soo-soo-sudio from Phil Collins, you're listening to the grrrrrrrreat sound of Solid Gooooooold GEMMMMMMMMM. Ggggggggrrrrrreeeeaaaatttttt!