Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    Her self-saucing pudding welded Paul's mouth shut - would seem strange to award her Star Baker.
    Richard deserved it - my money is on him to win.

Richard didn't deserve it as much as Martha.

Signature challenge. Richard got equal praise along with Diana and Kate. I agree it was better than Martha's.

Martha won the technical challenge, Richard came a distant 5th.

Baked Alaska challenge. Richards looked leaking mess, but tasted okay. Martha's looked great and tasted great.

Martha was robbed. >:(
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I hope the fact that the celebs are scrambling around finding excuses and justifications for Diana's selfish and thoughtless behaviour doesn't mean that she has actually won the series and they are trying to rescue something from the wreckage of what will be seen as a most unpopular winner?

I didn't like the shoulder-shrug she gave when she realised she had runied Iain's chances in the competition, or her grinning like a self-satisfied Cheshire cat as he left. She clearly didn't care too hoots - as long as SHE was okay.

Horrible woman.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I hope the fact that the celebs are scrambling around finding excuses and justifications for Diana's selfish and thoughtless behaviour doesn't mean that she has actually won the series and they are trying to rescue something from the wreckage of what will be seen as a most unpopular winner?

I didn't like the shoulder-shrug she gave when she realised she had runied Iain's chances in the competition, or her grinning like a self-satisfied Cheshire cat as he left. She clearly didn't care too hoots - as long as SHE was okay.

Horrible woman.

oh god that's a thought :o
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Apparently what happened was that Diana went to her allocated freezer space and found someone else's ice cream in there. She said whose is this? and Ian came and took it away, hence it was only out of the freezer for 40 seconds. Those who were actually there support this story and it seems pretty obvious to me that it was edited to create a story, regardless of the effect on an elderly woman and her reputation.

But of course, everyone loves a conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »

Signature challenge. Richard got equal praise along with Diana and Kate. I agree it was better than Martha's.

Martha won the technical challenge, Richard came a distant 5th.

Baked Alaska challenge. Richards looked leaking mess, but tasted okay. Martha's looked great and tasted great.

Maybe Martha goes deep into the competition and they don't want it to become the Martha show?

However Martha's signature cakes were a swing and a miss, looked all over the place and so much peanut butter was obviously an acquired taste. I think star baker can't afford any slip ups even if their other bakes are really good
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that Sue Perkins said the show is about cakes, baking etc, but forgets to mention that the show is also about the personalities of the contestants.

However, the bakers are not judged on their personalities (except by some viewers, and perhaps unfairly). They are judged by what they produce. Whatever conclusions the viewers come to, however the contestants are supposedly portrayed, has no bearing upon the result

On a personal level, I watch for the enjoyment, I watch for the bakes (both good & bad). I don't get involved in this tribalism, and I don't have "hate figures".
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't understand is if they all have their own allocated freezer space, why Iain didn't just use his own? Something just seems off & Diana's reactions were less than friendly.

She didn't come across well during the incident
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    8.10 million viewers last night. Looks like all the Bingate controversy worked.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently what happened was that Diana went to her allocated freezer space and found someone else's ice cream in there. She said whose is this? and Ian came and took it away, hence it was only out of the freezer for 40 seconds. Those who were actually there support this story and it seems pretty obvious to me that it was edited to create a story, regardless of the effect on an elderly woman and her reputation.

But of course, everyone loves a conspiracy theory.

That however does not make much sense unless the BBC really have deliberately edited it to make it look like a spiteful contestant and then they would have some serious questions to answer . He looked for his ice cream and Diana said "Oh it's here , sorry Ian we (didn't finish sentence ) ... then said well you have your own freezer" . Why did they not tell him no when he clearly said "can I put this in the freezer" when Richard was also at the freezer.

It was definitely out for more than 40 seconds. And if you thought someone should put their ice cream in another freezer you turn to them as they are at the next table and tell them to move it you don't take it out and out put it on a surface when you know it will melt .

I am not saying the lady did it deliberately but she was wrong to do it at all.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I don't understand is if they all have their own allocated freezer space, why Iain didn't just use his own? Something just seems off & Diana's reactions were less than friendly.

She didn't come across well during the incident

Someone explained earlier in the thread that they don't actually have allocated space. What happened was whatever fridge they were near the first episode was sort of thought of as 'their' fridge by some contestants. But they then get swapped about on different benches so those who are moved then see the fridge near them as the one they use rather than the one they originally had. It seems like Iain used the fridge near his bench (as I would have probably done) as opposed to the one across the room he had in the first week.

How many people share a fridge?

It looked to me as if Iain and Diana were near the fridge in question but Nancy was also putting her ice cream in there. Surely 3 people don't share one small freezer?
  • Options
    Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    She didn't. She said she took it out, and Iain took it away.

Honestly, that interview sounded like a very poor attempt at damage control. I don't hear anything in that interview that contradicts what we saw in the show, I just hear an attempt to trivialise the sequence of events and justify her actions in taking his ice-cream out without dealing with the fact that she clearly didn't alert him to what she was doing.

If she could just show even a small amount of contrition for buggering up a fellow contestant's effort it would be nice. She did manage a brief "sorry", but it was a "sorry, but it's your own fault" not-pology.

Now, it does sound like Iain's choice of freezer was screwed up, but why he used the freezer he did has been glossed over and may have made some kind of sense (e.g. perhaps there was a merry-go-round of people using the wrong ones) so it would be interesting to see why that happened.

Anyway, by letting his frustration totally override his judgement he did screw himself over and give them reasonable justification for eliminating him. However, either it was edited completely unsympathetically or several people have come out of the incident looking really rather unpleasant.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »

Horrible woman.

Oh god how predictable. No wonder she is getting torrents of abuse on social media from the unhinged brigade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I notice some loser has been fiddling with the GBBO Wikipedia page too

*** Wiki have amended it now.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously they would have chosen to watch prior to being aware of the 'controversy' :confused:

I really can't see what the fuss is about, he was quite lucky to make it this far, his ice cream hadn't set, couldn't be bothered to present anything, you could have opened a nature reserve in his beard......... was he deliberately trying to get knocked out :-)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Just to be a little pedantic . Editors do not make that kind of call
    Producers tell the editors what to cut and how the show is to go . The editors will do all the cutting and snipping eyc but the tone of the show will be a produders call

To be a little pedantic, producers don't tell the editors what to cut. This responsibility belongs to no one but editors themselves. They edit in accordance with a revised shooting script*, and they do have some editorial control over editing, especially if they've worked on the programme for years.

A shooting script revolves around the structure of a planned event or in this case, a competition, for each day of filming.

The shooting script usually consists a rough layout of expected scenes - e.g. a montage of candidates during each challenge, cutaway shots of outside (a field, a squirrel or whatever), specific shots of presenters and/or judges - and the dialogue (for presenters and narrator if any). Also a historical-food segment and the post-challenge interviews with candidates.

That script becomes the basis of all filming. A blueprint for the camera/production crew, basically. When the script calls for a scene of Mel chatting with a candidate, they tell Mel to talk to a certain candidate, then they film her chatting with one.

When they see something developing, they film it. Throughout the filming, interesting unscripted incidents are added to the script, turning it into a revised shooting script.

After the filming ends, the director may revise the script by giving each segment/challenge a narrative, to give the entire script a better and stronger structure. Directors don't always do this job, though, as it's sometimes left to an editor to do the job. Especially if the editor's worked on the programme for years.

The revised script is then sent to the editing suite where the magic will happen. It's the editor's job to bring it all together - selecting best shots, interesting shots etc - to make each narrative work. There are actually three types of editing, but I won't go into this as this post is already so long-winded.

The editor may spot something the director missed, and edit it in. When the director - with or without the producer around - sees a rough cut, s/he will decide to keep or reject the editor's input.

Very often, the director isn't around at all. As far as some directors are concerned, their jobs end the moment they send revised scripts to editors. Why not as most editors are experienced, anyway.

Especially when you've edited the same programme for years. You don't need anyone telling you what to do as you'd be familiar with the expectations enough to edit the latest episode blind-folded. :D

All that said, I agree with you that it's producers who get to decide and control the overall tone of the programme.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I think it was a bit of creative editing which has backfired big time!

As it was such a hot day, and everyone was clearly struggling to get the ice cream to set, it was a tempation for the crew when Diana took Ian's cake out of the freezer and set it on her workbench over her oven which was blasting away cooking her chuffing swan.

If she had to touch Ian's cake at all, she should have told him as she removed it that it was out of the freezer - and if she didn't - the other contestants/ presenters/ crew should have let him know. I don't believe the 40 seconds nonsense - the ice cream was too melted and soft to have been out for such a short time.

I think they saw the potential for another custard gate like last year - but just didn't expect Iain's OTT reaction. I think as has been suggested, they should have given him a bye and eliminated two next week, and warned all the contestants not to touch anyone else's bakes.

I think Diana was stupid - but not vindictive, and she doesn't deserve the vilification she has endured because of it. That said - she did cause another contestant to have a meltdown because of her actions, and as a direct result of her meddling he went home. The editing of her reaction to the incident has been unfair too, I'm sure she was as upset as Iain was at the outcome.

I think the BBC should offer Iain a place in next year's competition as an apology.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think she was robbed of anything. Her peanut butter thing was leaking all over the place, tasted too potent, and as Paul said, nearly glued his teeth together.

I felt that Kate was overlooked this week and she performed more consistently over the three challenges though she had a blip in the technical.
    Looked fine to me though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously they would have chosen to watch prior to being aware of the 'controversy' :confused:

I really can't see what the fuss is about, he was quite lucky to make it this far, his ice cream hadn't set, couldn't be bothered to present anything, you could have opened a nature reserve in his beard......... was he deliberately trying to get knocked out :-)

Not necessarily. The incident was all over the media and in the trailer beforehand so more viewers obviously tuned in last night to see what all the controversy was about.
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one has legs does it not. What trivia I see before me.

If they were allocated freezers and Iain trespassed then he hasn't got the legs of a melting chocolate soldier to stand on.

We're spoilt for choice when labelling this momentous event. You have -

Alaskagate
    Bingate
    Freezergate
    Beardgate
    Meltdowngate

I like Freezergate myself, after all that is where the devilish deed was done.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't think she was robbed of anything. Her peanut butter thing was leaking all over the place, tasted too potent, and as Paul said, nearly glued his teeth together.

I felt that Kate was overlooked this week and she performed more consistently over the three challenges though she had a blip in the technical.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Kate but I'm not sure if it's because of her baking or because I have a bit of a girl crush on her :blush: I did spend quite alot of time yesterday thinking how pretty she looks.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Welsh-lad wrote: »

Noticed the self serving quote edit. :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't realise there were so many psychics out there. :p
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

must be honest that whole Bingate really took me by surprise BBC will be loving all this the ratings will go up even higher for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

You didn't need to be a psychic as it was hinted in the trailer and leaked all over the media beforehand. :p
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't anyone else think Iain's marching out of the tent and marching back again and presenting the bin as somewhat stage managed?