Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    The Bake Off has been moved to the premier channel against weaker opposition. It'd be massively concerning if it hadn't increased year on year!

But how would they make a Christmas Special out of it? I guess they could have a Mel v Sue Special where they do the baking but it's not the kind of show that lends itself to one off programmes.

This is series 5 of Bake-Off. The obvious format for a Christmas special is a Champion Of Champions edition.

I expect the BBC are trying to work out how to expand the Bake-Off series beyond 10 episodes.:D
    No elimination in the first week could give it one extra programme, but it doesn't look as if they could increase the number of contestants without the programe becoming over-crowded. Unless they do what Strictly used to do and split the contestants into two halves and eliminate until the halves are small enough to join together as one.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Keep in mind this is the same thread that I'm sure at one point was suggesting a Christmas special of The Voice. I'm fairly sure people don't really think about the logistics of the format. Although actually I suppose a Bake Off special would be more easily done than The Voice (and make infinitely more sense). The more pressing question is what on earth would be special about it? They've already done a celebrity run. Bring back past winners maybe? Maybe the Mel & Sue thing you suggest. Although its not something they'd be able to replicate annually which seems to be the done thing these days.

They could do a celebrity Special based on Christmas bakes. It could be repeated annually with different celebrities but I'm pretty sure there's a limited number of Christmas Bakes which exist. Whether that matters is another thing all together.

But it's very Strictly-like in format. I don't think they could have both shows on the same day.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV thought DOI was invincible, but when the BBC introduced a well acted and likeable drama, people started to desert DOI and the show is now lurking in ITV's vaults. TXF could go the same way, it's still a big show, but should BBC One come up with a superior alternative, it could flatten it. Also bear in mind there is a very large anti audience of men, older viewers and better educated viewers who don't watch TXF.
    But since the BBC doesn't appear to have a well acted and likeable drama waiting in the wings this year The X Factor will presumably be fine for a couple more years. It did after all take Call the Midwife a couple of years to kill off Dancing on Ice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    This is series 5 of Bake-Off. The obvious format for a Christmas special is a Champion Of Champions edition.

I expect the BBC are trying to work out how to expand the Bake-Off series beyond 10 episodes.:D
    No elimination in the first week could give it one extra programme, but it doesn't look as if they could increase the number of contestants without the programe becoming over-crowded. Unless they do what Strictly used to do and split the contestants into two halves and eliminate until the halves are small enough to join together as one.

Please no. I still hate the Strictly split without Bake Off going the same way! :D:blush:
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    GBBO was always going to be up this year moving from BBC2 to BBC1. It is up about 35pct year on year. But that is in line with how shows moving to BBC One from BBC Two rise. We've seen time and time again when a show airs on BBC2, it rates well below how it would or has done on BBC1. For e.g. The One Show got 2.5m or so for an edition on BBC2 last year where as normally it would rate around 4m. And everytime a Wimbledon game is moved from bbc2 to bbc1, the ratings rise significantly. GBBO's rise this series is in line with what it should be doing. If last year's GBBO had aired on BBC1 instead of BBC2, it'd have rated about a couple million higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clearly they should just add an audition stage...

Or maybe up the number of contestants and have the opening weeks consist of 'team bakes' and eliminate people until your left with 10 or 12 contestants and everyone goes solo.

In truth the real question here is when do we get The Junior Great British Bake Off? In fact maybe that could be the Christmas special...
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I agree with those saying it's the right time to split EastEnders again, not just because it makes a better schedule, but they actually have strong storylines this year, so they could do a proper cliffhanger to draw a big number for the second episode.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Esio Trot is 90 minutes, I'm thinking NYD as well. The BBC also has Stan and Ollie which is the Laurel and Hardy biopic which will likely air at Christmas.

I think the other way round, Stan and Ollie on New Year's Day and Esio Trot over Christmas, probably Boxing Day.

Do we know what the stripped drama is this year? The only one that I can see fitting the bill is The Outcast (2x 90'), but it seems a bit on the bleak side (although they're doing And Then There Were None next year.)
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think last night is as good as it's going to get for Strictly and Factor on Saturday nights this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two sub-8m Strictlys and one or two sub-7m Factors.

What makes you think that? :)

I'd say both are capable of more. Strictly generally grows as the series progresses (last year show 1 got 9.2m and the live shows ended up settling around a million higher). Meanwhile bootcamp is generally the lowest phase of X Factor (7.8m last year with no SCD clash and generally 8.5m for live shows with no clash).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know what the stripped drama is this year? The only one that I can see fitting the bill is The Outcast (2x 90'), but it seems a bit on the bleak side (although they're doing And Then There Were None next year.)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? Although that may be too many episodes (its a 7 episode run isn't it?). The Casual Vacancy might be a better bet since its only 3 episodes I think. Although presumably both will air at some point over Christmas and New Year. Or at least start. Strange and Norrell maybe getting the Call the Midwife lead-in on Sunday in Q1?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But since the BBC doesn't appear to have a well acted and likeable drama waiting in the wings this year The X Factor will presumably be fine for a couple more years. It did after all take Call the Midwife a couple of years to kill off Dancing on Ice.
    I'll give TXF another two series. Cowell doesn't like failure and has threatened to kill the show if ratings fall. Yet ITV haven't really planned for what happens when it dies.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree with you on the special format, bringing back old contestants is definitely the way to go, with Christmas themed challenges.

I'm not sure BBC will try to extend it too much, I don't think they did with The Apprentice, but then Bake Off is a bigger hit.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give TXF another two series. Cowell doesn't like failure and has threatened to kill the show if ratings fall. Yet ITV haven't really planned for what happens when it dies.
    Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.... until ITV can replace it with something that rates as well, for as long during the year.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Norrel and Poldark both look niche to me. Hopefully neither of them nor The Musketeers is given a Sunday 9pm slot in Q1 next year.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly they should just add an audition stage...

Or maybe up the number of contestants and have the opening weeks consist of 'team bakes' and eliminate people until your left with 10 or 12 contestants and everyone goes solo.

In truth the real question here is when do we get The Junior Great British Bake Off? In fact maybe that could be the Christmas special...

Junior Bakeoff airs on CBBC and alternates with Junior Masterchef.

I think tinkering with the format would do more harm than good. The format hasnt taken off elsewhere apart from Ireland, Masterchef was altered to match the US and Australian format but was unpopular with viewers so they switched back to the old format
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cowell doesn't like failure? He seemed happy enough to keep plugging away on the US version of the show...
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those complaining about the Tess/Claudia presenting duo on Strictly (or at least the Tess side of that equation) my question would be who should the BBC have picked? They, and television in general, have a dearth of talent capable of anchoring these big Saturday night shows.
    I know Bruce was struggling with the autocue but he was still absolutely fine at the ad-libs and at talking to the dancers and the panel after each dance. I think he should have stayed and still done those parts of the show, with Tess introducing each dance from the Tess Pit.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,476
    Forum Member
    I'm not going to linger on SCD and XF because it's just toxic on here. If there's anything more irritating than Samuel goading everyone after a poor ITV performance, its everyone goading Samuel after a poor BBC one. Cut it out.

My biggest disappointment for the night was Doctor Who. I expected a boost for that airing after Strictly, but it didn't work out. That's a poorer overnight than Merlin used to get in the exact same slot - and the official might not outstrip Merlin S5 either.
    But how would they make a Christmas Special out of it? I guess they could have a Mel v Sue Special where they do the baking but it's not the kind of show that lends itself to one off programmes.

I was thinking they'd just do a Champion of Champions thing - but I actually like your idea better. Mel vs. Sue, each leading a team of past bakers ahead of a Christmas party of some description. The team that sells the most cakes for charity wins. Done! (Can I have a job in formats please? :p)

Bake Off is actually the sort of show that could accommodate a Christmas special with relative ease. It doesn't need to be competitive, just a bit of fun. Probably not for Christmas Day, but could really boost one of the surrounding days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Jonathan Norrel and Poldark both look niche to me. Hopefully neither of them nor The Musketeers is given a Sunday 9pm slot in Q1 next year.
    They're both based on pretty popular books...
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Junior Bakeoff airs on CBBC and alternates with Junior Masterchef.
    Did not know that (obviously).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? Although that may be too many episodes (its a 7 episode run isn't it?). The Casual Vacancy might be a better bet since its only 3 episodes I think.

Yes it's 7 episodes, I think that might start over Christmas somewhere, and continue into next year, but I can't see how they could strip it.

The Casual Vacancy is possible, but I think it would feel a bit out of place, especially since it would have to start on Boxing Day (or on the Saturday, which isn't ideal.)

I'm going with The Outcast, similar to Restless (2012), as in it's a period drama and two 90 minute episodes, airing on the Sunday and Monday after Christmas.
    They're both based on pretty popular books...

I'd actually agree with Samuel on Jonathan Strange, although I loved the book and a magical period drama is my idea of a perfect tv show, I really can't see it doing well at all. Poldark, however, should be exactly the sort of thing that would capture Call the Midwife's audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I was thinking they'd just do a Champion of Champions thing - but I actually like your idea better. Mel vs. Sue, each leading a team of past bakers ahead of a Christmas party of some description. The team that sells the most cakes for charity wins. Done! (Can I have a job in formats please? :p)

Bake Off is actually the sort of show that could accommodate a Christmas special with relative ease. It doesn't need to be competitive, just a bit of fun. Probably not for Christmas Day, but could really boost one of the surrounding days.

That actually sounds half decent and could be entertaining - but I would agree that it's not Christmas Day fare.

What dramas do ITV have lined up for Quarter One next year? Obviously Broadchurch and Mr. Selfridge but do they have anything else? DCI Banks will presumably return but will it air in Quarter 1 or Quarter 2?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    What makes you think that? :)

I'd say both are capable of more. Strictly generally grows as the series progresses (last year show 1 got 9.2m and the live shows ended up settling around a million higher). Meanwhile bootcamp is generally the lowest phase of X Factor (7.8m last year with no SCD clash and generally 8.5m for live shows with no clash).
    I'm just thinking Strictly will be on 8.0-9.0m for most of the series, maybe even dipping under 8m for one or two shows until the clocks go back, just because Bruce isn't there anymore.

And I think Factor will be 7.0-8.0m when the knockout shows take place, possibly nudging under 7m exc +1 when we have the usual Halloween/Bonfire/Xmas Party dips. I've only seen a couple of minutes of it this year, so I'm not judging on what I've seen. I'm looking at the ratings and thinking Simon and Cheryl's returns have recaptured any of the old ratings magic.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist. :D
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    Christmas Day should be free of the soaps for a day. I'm sure the soap fans would also love the change and anticipation for the next episode elsewhere in the schedules.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That actually sounds half decent and could be entertaining - but I would agree that it's not Christmas Day fare.

What dramas do ITV have lined up for Quarter One next year? Obviously Broadchurch and Mr. Selfridge but do they have anything else? DCI Banks will presumably return but will it air in Quarter 1 or Quarter 2?

ITV

Home Fires (6 parts)
    Foyle's War (3 parts)
    Code of a Killer (2 parts)
    Thunderbirds (26 parts)
    Authur & George (3 parts)
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to put myself out on a limb and say I don't think The X Factor will go sub 7m (inc. +1) again this year unless there's a full on clash with Strictly. I think the potential top 12 have potential to make for an interesting show and the panel looks stronger than last year, where the programme was really going through the motions.

I don't think Strictly will dip below 8m (unless there's a full on clash) even though it was close to that yesterday. It tends to grow as the series goes on and the darker nights next month will help it out.

Both shows are down but they're nowhere near out. And neither will have the opposition (other than each other) to really hurt them over the lives.

Disagree with that, looking at the kind of hype the series has got I think Strictly will be getting mid 8's next week and for the following few weeks, while low 8's for the rest of the series and maybe dropping to the high 7's for one or two show's.

I think X Factor will remain the 7's for the entire live show's, with some in the low 7's and some in the high 7's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITV

Home Fires (6 parts)
    Foyle's War (3 parts)
    Code of a Killer (2 parts)
    Thunderbirds (26 parts)
    Authur & George (3 parts)

Oh good, more two and three parters. Just what they need!

Thanks for this. :)
This discussion has been closed.