Herbs or spices you could live 'without'...

Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
Forum Member
...for me it has to be Bay leaves - I pride myself on herbs/ spices but I've tried ( grown even) Bay leaves and wouldn't miss them in a dish.

As a flavour, I could also do without parsley - I only use it for decorative purposes, dried.

I'm sure I'll recall more...:blush:

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use parsley a lot, and would certainly miss it - love parsley sauce with fish, especially cod roe. Flat leaved parsley I use instead of coriander, so I could easily do without coriander leaf, but do use the seeds a lot.
    I think though I might nominate mint as I've got several varieties in the garden, but almost never use it.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I use parsley a lot, and would certainly miss it - love parsley sauce with fish, especially cod roe.
    I think I might nominate mint as I've got several varieties in the garden, but almost never use it.

Like you - I do use parsley for decorative purposes - I grow various mints but I find I only use 'dried'.:confused: I use I mostly in yoghurt dips/sauces. But I could forgo the parsley.
    Now, I adore coriander!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I'm not mad on cloves. Always remind me of the dentist. Fenugreek is another one i have but I don't think I've ever used. I suppose I must have done or else I wouldn't have purchased some but goodness knows when.

Personally I love parsley but only use it occasionally as Mrs. Bleads is not a fan. Rosemary has it's place but I find it very strong and use sparingly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Parsley and dill, I could happily live without both of them.
    Forum Member
    I'm not mad on cloves. Always remind me of the dentist. Fenugreek is another one i have but I don't think I've ever used. I suppose I must have done or else I wouldn't have purchased some but goodness knows when.

Personally I love parsley but only use it occasionally as Mrs. Bleads is not a fan. Rosemary has it's place but I find it very strong and use sparingly.

I agree on the cloves Teddy - I bought a catering bag a while back as they were cheap - why? I really do wonder my motive at the time!:confused: the same as you mention ' feneuugreek

Dill - I don't mind but has it's limited place imo.
    I grow vast amounts if Rosemary but find it really has to be used under toasted veg: meat etc not as an edible herb in big doses but very sparingly.

Fenugreek - well, I'm with you on this - have lots if sachets but wonder - why?:confused:
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use thyme or sage very often. I use basil sparingly because I find it tends to over power but I do like it. I do like parsley and coriander and use those a lot, and oregano when I can get it (I know I should grow it!). Dill and tarragon have their place, too, and I use them sometimes.
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    I don't use thyme or sage very often. I use basil sparingly because I find it tends to over power but I do like it. I do like parsley and coriander and use those a lot, and oregano when I can get it (I know I should grow it!). Dill and tarragon have their place, too, and I use them sometimes.

Like you I use Dill & Tarragon in their place - I grow, successfully various sages. My ghost chilli is growing weird btw?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saffron

I just don't get the fuss over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like you I use Dill & Tarragon in their place - I grow, successfully various sages. My ghost chilli is growing weird btw?
    I didn't know what one was but I've looked it up and it says it's the world's 3rd hottest chilli! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia

What will you use it for? What's happening to yours?
    Forum Member
    Saffron

Even as a herb/spice lover it's up there with Bayleaves for me.:confused: I just don't get them.

Anyone tasted 'truffles'? I'd love to but don't know if they're far fetched.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saffron

Me neither...

I could go without dill too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a herb/spice lover it's up there with Bayleaves for me.:confused: I just don't get them.

Anyone tasted 'truffles'? I'd love to but don't know if they're far fetched.:confused:
    Only truffle oil and I had pasta in a truffle sauce in Italy once (wasn't that expensive so it may have just been oil in it again). I've yet to acquire the taste for it, if that's representative of the taste!

I do like saffron, though, in rice dishes and tagines.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

I love truffle but I wouldn't bother with the ones you can buy in the supermarket here. There's a fantastic Swiss soft cheese (I forget the name) with a layer of black truffle running though it that is really something. I buy a whole wheel when I go home. I'd love you to try it but I doubt it's Veggie-friendly.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I agree with a few of you about saffron. I don't really like it and never use it. I'm not mad about cloves either, but they are a must on the Christmas ham. I never use them for anything else though. I'm not all that keen on parsley, but I do use it occasionally. The only herbs I really hate are chives. Can't stand that raw onion flavour.

I do like most other herbs and spices though. I have lots of spices in the cupboard and we grow bay, sage, rosemary, a couple of varieties of thyme and mint in the garden, as well as chillies and basil in the summer.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never bought saffron or truffles or parsley so no doubt I certainly can live without them.
    I only use cloves in hot whiskeys, which I make at Christmas when my Dad visits, he likes them in his hot toddies.

Couldn't imagine cooking without bay leaves or coriander. I use lots of both of those.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    All of them.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coriander - ugh
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like bay leaf. It's never the centrepiece of a dish, but it's very versatile and adds another dimension.

Black cardamom - Unlike green cardamom, not very nice.
    Szechuan pepper - Bought some and barely ever used it, mostly because I don't know how, besides 5 spice. Has a weird acid/chemical/burning flavour. Last time I checked, some of it had gone mouldy.
    Lovage - Having never tasted it, I've managed fine so far. :p
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

Yes. Had a ludicrously expensive risotto with shaved truffles in. Very nice, but they are extremely expensive.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a herb/spice lover it's (saffron) up there with Bayleaves for me.:confused: I just don't get them.
    I could have written that.
    My thoughts exactly - and I have very a wide range of herbs and spices in my cupboard.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Coriander
    I am not a fan - as it tastes soapy to me
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parsley and coriander.... kill them with fire.
    Forum Member
    I didn't know what one was but I've looked it up and it says it's the world's 3rd hottest chilli! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia

What will you use it for? What's happening to yours?

Hi Kimi - I don't know what I'd use it for - some veggie curry or stew - having said that it's producing flowers and buds but no chilies?:confused:
    I bought a bunch ( more like a bouquet that I would have walked down the aisle with) of bird's eye chillies in our market in Turkey - 30p!:o you're supposed to take them home & dry them but hubby took the chillies off the bunch as we had my daughters wedding present to bring home & besides I should be on ' nothing to declare'.:blush:
    30p for a kilo of beef tomatoes or red pointed peppers, cucumbers, delicious green beans etc! I love the markets and as we're not in a touristic area we get local prices - my heart aches to leave stuff behind.:(

They tend to use only parsley & dill out there and quite often purple basil - the small Greek style basil ( as we call it) they use for deterring flies etc!:o they're horrified when I wash it & put it in pasta!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Kimi - I don't know what I'd use it for - some veggie curry or stew - having said that it's producing flowers and buds but no chilies?:confused:
    I bought a bunch ( more like a bouquet that I would have walked down the aisle with) of bird's eye chillies in our market in Turkey - 30p!:o you're supposed to take them home & dry them but hubby took the chillies off the bunch as we had my daughters wedding present to bring home & besides I should be on ' nothing to declare'.:blush:
    30p for a kilo of beef tomatoes or red pointed peppers, cucumbers, delicious green beans etc! I love the markets and as we're not in a touristic area we get local prices - my heart aches to leave stuff behind.:(

They tend to use only parsley & dill out there and quite often purple basil - the small Greek style basil ( as we call it) they use for deterring flies etc!:o they're horrified when I wash it & put it in pasta!:D
    I saw an Ottolenghi programme which featured a market in Istanbul and that looked glorious! I can be a bit wary of markets abroad, in case of caged animals or birds etc, but that looked fine, the part he was in, anyway.

There are no proper markets here so I envy you the Turkish one! I used to love them (and I worked on Portobello Road and Greenwich market for a short time a long time ago - not selling fruit and veg, though!). I even miss the Cypriot shop in Crystal Palace (but Cornwall has a lot going for it, too, of course!).
    Forum Member
    I saw an Ottolenghi programme which featured a market in Istanbul and that looked glorious! I can be a bit wary of markets abroad, in case of caged animals or birds etc, but that looked fine, the part he was in, anyway.

There are no proper markets here so I envy you the Turkish one! I used to love them (and I worked on Portobello Road and Greenwich market for a short time a long time ago - not selling fruit and veg, though!). I even miss the Cypriot shop in Crystal Palace (but Cornwall has a lot going for it, too, of course!).

Hi Kimi - I know where you're coming from - mushrooms aren't too popular in Samsun ( our part of Turkey) they have button ones but the Oyster ones haven't been around this time.:(

I used to have a friend from Greenwich yrs ago and was amazed that you could buy coriander with roots etc - my dream is to go to Borough Market - I worked for British Rail many years ago & regret just clothes shopping! Anyhow, we should be off to Edmonton (?) this weekend as we want to visit Istikbal a Turkish furniture shop to buy some stuff.

Going back to Markets - Swansea has a lovely, cheery one and I love Laverbread from there - but I don't do fish, butter lamb etc so I guess I don't get the best put of the market.

With regards to live animals - I did spot - locally, some pheasants, chickens etch for sake and was horrified!:o the stalls are rare tho'.
    Hubby did buy a Sheep's' head a year or so ago and I nearly died! He was absconded to the outside, the had to shower etc!

Any tips for Markets near Edmonton ? Or what I could buy in London as Swansea is limited to one good but only Asian supermarket.

Btw, I'm not taken in by the spices in Istanbul etc - I'd rather buy from an authentic store at home.