Drayton Manor Zoo

oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone been here recently? I'm thinking of going tomorrow and I'm wondering whether it's more a place for kids. Am not too fussed about the rides although I might have a go on a few, so I won't bother if the zoo is crap. It is only £10 tomorrow, and the kids are at school so I'm hoping it may not be busy.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a recent thread, don't know if it helps.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1675035&highlight=drayton
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The zoo is awful. A very dirty and depressing place.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really, maybe I'll go somewhere else!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you find out when the snakes are being fed it can be really fascinating, we went when they were being fed just by chance and it was enough to give my mom nightmares :p
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother. It's really called Drayton Manor Theme Park. It used to be Drayton Manor Zoo many years ago and there is not much of a zoo there at all now. The place is a bit of a dump and very expensive for what you get out of it.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really, maybe I'll go somewhere else!

Twycross zoo is much better and not far away. You're better off going there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks, sounds a bit rubbish! Looks like I'll find something else to do! Any ideas? :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twycross zoo is much better and not far away. You're better off going there.

I'd second that - it isn't far from us so we go at least twice a year.

Still don't really like some animals in captivity but the Snow Leopard enclosure is HUGE and they have worked with Monkey World to improve the Great Ape habitats. Their Elephant enclosure is pretty big for a Zoo.

Can't recall the cost - it has gone up a lot over the last couple of years - but IIRC, it was in the region of £28 for me and the boy last time - so not much more than your £10 but many more animals.

Dudley Zoo has apparently improved, but bombing it would have improved it.

West Midlands Safari Park is cool if you're going by car.

Butterfly park in Stratford? Not just butterflies there. They have moths too. (And fish, reptiles, humming birds, invertebrates, fish) there is also a Shire horse centre in Stratford.

Sealife in Birmingham? That a sort of watery Zoo?

Desford Parrot Park? Again, not a lot of variety compared to a proper zoological garden.....

I'm sure there are more animal places in the West Midlands - if you give us the area you are OK travelling to and the sort of animals you like I might think of some more.:)
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good, better than I expected. But I wouldn't go to Drayton Manor just for the zoo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all those options! I was looking for somewhere within about 90 minutes from Nottingham area, just for a cheap day out. Twycross is not far, I have been there quite recently though. I do like apes though :D
    I fancy the aquarium in Birmingham too but it's a bit expensive, you can get tickets online for £10 but only if you go in late in the afternoon!

I don't have any kids to take and I'm not sure my husband is particularly fussed about going anywhere which is why I wanted somewhere cheap!
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use your Tesco clubcard vouchers for Birmingham aquarium - it's free then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always forget about Tesco vouchers, not sure I ever have enough to do anything with anyway though!
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks, sounds a bit rubbish! Looks like I'll find something else to do! Any ideas? :D

West midlands safari Park is quite good.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As some others have said, the Sealife Centre in Birmingham is really good and there are often special offers there.

If it is not too far from you the Cotswolds Wildlife Park is good to visit, although you would need good weather for that. Woburn Safari Park is also a good place to go. So is Warwick Castle but of course that is not animals, but it is very interesting and in school holidays and at weekends there is usually a lot going on.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    West midlands safari Park is quite good.

I find the drive around the Safari part is enhanced if you play some African music in the background, seriously, it really is.

Safari!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like Monkeys there is (gulp) Monkey Forrest in Staffordshire.

Monkeys run free there. No - seriously they Run. Free.You walk amongst them *shudders at the memory*

I still have nightmares :(

But - its a cheap day out at £7.50 a ticket if a bit of a trek from Nottingham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite fancy that monkey forest actually, I take it you didn't enjoy youself there! :D

I may give that a go, and pick up some Staffordshire oatcakes while I'm there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite fancy that monkey forest actually, I take it you didn't enjoy youself there! :D

I may give that a go, and pick up some Staffordshire oatcakes while I'm there.

Nah, it was great really:D

Just somehow despite all the advertising saying the monkeys run free I thought there would be some kind of fence between me & the monkeys. I was a little shocked when there wasn't:o

Time it right & you'll see them getting fed - that was cool:D.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say the zoo at Drayton Manor is a dump ... odd?!! I would however, not bother to visit for a stand alone attraction.