Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Mollie. I'm not looking forward to my weigh in on Wednesday, I don't think I've done very well this week.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all have off days/ weeks don't worry just try to do better next week. Although you may still surprise yourself on wednesday !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Lost 4 pounds in 3 days! :) Given ive not been very very well so have hardly eaten anything but the fact ive been ill has really put me off food even now that im feeling okay so if i cna keep the weight off ill be happy! Its certainly kickstarted my diet again anyway. congrats to molliepops xx
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Lost 4 pounds in 3 days! :) Given ive not been very very well so have hardly eaten anything but the fact ive been ill has really put me off food even now that im feeling okay so if i cna keep the weight off ill be happy! Its certainly kickstarted my diet again anyway. congrats to molliepops xx

Erm, I'm not sure what to do here. The loss of weight is a plus, but being ill is perhaps in itself something that should prompt sympathy. Can I instead wish you good luck for both good health and good weightloss in the coming weeks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Erm, I'm not sure what to do here. The loss of weight is a plus, but being ill is perhaps in itself something that should prompt sympathy. Can I instead wish you good luck for both good health and good weightloss in the coming weeks?

Yes thankyou :)
    Forum Member
    Surprise. I had only eaten 787 kcal, so cooked a full pasta meal and assumed that I could catch up on my full calorie ration afterwards. This has worked reliably for a while. I just calculated, and there were 906 kcal in my portion of pasta! And I had cooked the vegetables in some water instead of in olive oil as I would have done previously! So probably my pre-diet pasta would have been over 1000 kcal a portion! I'm only within my calorie allowance because I hadn't eaten that much earlier in the day.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using myfitnesspal for a while but I'm getting fed up of constantly thinking of meals. It's a little soul destroying :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using myfitnesspal for a while but I'm getting fed up of constantly thinking of meals. It's a little soul destroying :(

Why is that a problem ? When I was eating normally I planned meals so doing it this way is no harder I find.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Why is that a problem ? When I was eating normally I planned meals so doing it this way is no harder I find.

I have never bothered planning meals before, I just made whatever was in the house. Now I feel like I'm constantly trying to think of things to make, and then I end up getting fed up doing the shopping and buying something I don't have to think about. I'm too unorganised to stick to a weekly meal plan. All in all pretty useless :eek:

Well done on this week's loss by the way, just seen it. 3lbs is great :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shop two weekly with a sort of rough meal plan in mind, then in house I have everything I need fort the fortnight. May be worth doing something similar ? Key I find is don't buy what you know you don't want to eat on your diet - so no chocolate or sugar in my case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I've waited a bit to give kyresa a chance to post again and clarify his/her meaning.

In the meantime, I did a bit of research. It seems that some people are a bit confused about different sources of calories and dieting.

It seems that there are two basic situations.

In the first a person is eating exactly the right number of calories to balance their energy in/energy out ratio, or they have a calorie deficit, in which case they will be losing weight (unless there is water retention/muscle development etc.). In this case it appears that there is no significant difference concerning whether or not the calories come from fat, carbs, or protein. (Though an excessively unbalanced diet may lead to other problems such as deficiencies).

In the second situation, someone is eating more calories than they expend. In this case, the excess calories may be converted into fat storage. The body is more efficient at storing fat as fat than it is at storing carbs or protein as fat. Hence if you're actually gaining weight, fat calories may make you gain more than carb or protein calories. But this is only for people actually gaining weight, not those on calorie restricted diets who are losing weight. (I.e. us). I have looked, but I haven't found a reliable reference for this. Only blogs, newspaper articles, and Wikipedia.

I eat 6 healthy meals meals a day which means I am on the 2nd one you listed and yet I am loosing a lot of fat. Protein as fat that's very unlikely because of the thermic effect of protein is a lot higher compared to carbs and fats. Most of the excess protein is excreted through your urine and used to repair muscle tissue and tone your skin and repair any other issues like for me with my hair loss problems, dark circles, improved eye sights etc etc.I've cut out all processed foods and refined sugar and I am loosing weight (I have lost 19 kgs already)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done progrezz ! It just shows different things work for different people IMO we just have to find what works for us personally.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a ~30yr old male, I started putting on LOADS of weight towards the end of Uni to the point that I weighed 30st!

I could sort of get away with 'carrying' it as im 6'4, though about 20 months ago I realised that this was unacceptable and decided to do something about it. Im now down to 18st and still going downwards.

Id like to give my POV on the whole diet 'thing'. Maybe someone will find it helpful:

Temporary Diets dont work, you need to correct your eating habits permanently, dont go on 'diet' change your lifestyle.

Stop eating crap 24/7, I know it tastes good and your probably lazy like me and its quick and easy, but you need to decided whether you want to cram donuts in your mouth or have a healthy and active body you cant do both, you need to choose.

Dont be afraid to have a cheat meal once in a while, it's okay, your not in prison you can enjoy stuff occasionally, just make sure it's occasionally and doesnt become every day, like once a week and dont binge either - eat sensibly when you cheat.

In order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in, it's realy that simple. Friends have said to me oh I only eat 800 calories I cant loose weight like you. I ask a little further and find out they dont excercise at all and drink 10 coffees a day (which when black have no real calories) with full fat milk and sugar.....sigh.

I used to struggle exercising - after work I was tired, busy or would make up some other excuse to do it, if you want to lose weight you need to be proactive and not think or wish about doing it - if you cant, dont bother trying to struggle yo-yo deiting, realise you are making excuses up and thats half the battle. You can ALWAYS find a way if you WANT TOO, if someone put a gun to your head and said you need to spend 30 minutes a day doing charity work or they will come and shoot you in your sleep, you will find a way to accomplish that - this is called "motivation", laziness's arch nemesis.

Find your way to exercise 30 intense minutes a day and you will be in route to weighing less and feeling healthier. I found my way by waking up EARLY and exercising before getting ready for work. This might not be for everyone, but I call anyone out who cant get up earlier and do some exercise. In the end it worked for me, because I was getting up an hour earlier and doing a preplanned series of exercises and weights in a concise time frame. A benefit of this is that exercising releases endorphin's which kick in and make the day go by faster and gave me a good mood for the rest of the day and work. Also it kick starts your metabolism so helps with your calorie intake for the day!

If you are big/heavy like I was, DONT run for cardio, use a bike, go swimming (unlikely since you will be self conscious) or use a rowing machine as you will damage your joints and tendons needlessly by putting them under serious stress, so do low joint impact cardio work until your lighter then do all that other stuff, worse thing that can happen is get injured and fall back into sitting on your bum and feeling sorry for yourself - it's happened to me!

DONT use scales to measure your weight, BMI is also a load of rubbish - it works in principle but there will be a point where you are doing the routines and not loosing any weight, because your flab is being replaced by heavier muscle and you will dispair. Instead use clothing as goals - I have goal shirts that are much smaller than I can wear, and I try these on to see progress, there is no better a feeling than buttoning up a shirt that wouldn't even close beforehand.

Thats a few pointers that helped me lose 12 stone so far, I hope it's of help to someone, it might not be to everyone's taste.

Well done for your huge weight loss - thats impressive!!

I also agree with a fair bit of what you say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Well done progrezz ! It just shows different things work for different people IMO we just have to find what works for us personally.

Thanks and well I think people sometimes starve themselves too much which is the not the right way to go because you end up feeling more depressed and tired and fatigued which means you can be on a vicious cycle. Weight doesn't really equate to how healthy you are. My twin brother has lost 23 kgs as well by doing this. The program I am on has been a very successful program for me and for a thousand other people and its not a fad diet hardly any of the people out there know about the program i am on.

Here's an article on overfeeding and the results you get from eating more protein you do gain weight but that's purely muscle and weight training.
    www.metabolicprecision.com/articles-1/cutting-edge-protein-body-comp-overfeeding
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you female ? Sorry not sure !

if you are could be like many of us and retain water at certain times, I lose next to nothing week before my period and then it falls off the week after. It's just retained water.
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Hi All!!

I've jumped on the weight loss bandwagon now - put on far too much weight over the last couple of years and decided it was time for a change! So far I'm on the Celebrity Slim meal replacement programme - can honestly say the shakes have been lush and the allowable snacks are enjoyable too although I do miss chocolate! Hope it all goes well...did some research and this seemed to be the best one so fingers crossed!

Looking to lose 3-4 stone so hopefully this thread keeps me motivated!
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever found their weight has remained the same for some time and then lost a couple of pounds at once?

Please say this can be so...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All!!

I've jumped on the weight loss bandwagon now - put on far too much weight over the last couple of years and decided it was time for a change! So far I'm on the Celebrity Slim meal replacement programme - can honestly say the shakes have been lush and the allowable snacks are enjoyable too although I do miss chocolate! Hope it all goes well...did some research and this seemed to be the best one so fingers crossed!

Looking to lose 3-4 stone so hopefully this thread keeps me motivated!

Good luck GoodLuckCharm :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    Has anyone ever found their weight has remained the same for some time and then lost a couple of pounds at once?

Please say this can be so...

You have what is called plateaued - you need to kick start your metabolism by either eating a little more for a few days or less depending who you believe. I have tried both on occasions and the eating less worked for me but others will tell you eat more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have what is called plateaued - you need to kick start your metabolism by either eating a little more for a few days or less depending who you believe. I have tried both on occasions and the eating less worked for me but others will tell you eat more.

It can't be normal to be exactly the same weight for days and days...I would expect there to be a fluctuation either up or down.

Argh! Tried eating less, now I'm eating a bit more - still nothing happening.

Said I wouldn't weigh myself for a couple of weeks but broke pretty much straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite normal when you have been dieting a while.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed the same this week which was better than I expected as I ate far too much for 3 days on the trot. Got to get my head back together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 6lb
    Today:14st 4lb. Another 2lb dropped. :D

Todays weigh in:

Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 4lb
    Today: 14st 2lb Another 2lb dropped although the Wii reports I've lost 3lb somehow.

Anyway, that's the first stone out of the way. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done !
    Forum Member
    Well done Ginger Nut and everyone else who has lost weight. Good luck to everyone.

But, I'm not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow. I've kept to my calories, but as I had a few body pains, I haven't been to the gym this week. I feel less painful now and plan to have a short visit, maybe even tonight. But I'm not expecting any loss tomorrow.

I'll see. If I'm at the same weight, or worse, I may have to adjust my calorie intake down. At least until I can be going to the gym regularly again.