Options

Be honest - how good is your diet

OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that I should be eating a lot more healthily and should not smoke or drink. but I do ad I bloody enjoy it.

Comments

• Options
    bunny93bunny93 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I dont smoke and rarely ever drink, but i do eat quite a bit of junk
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    A mix of awful and brilliant.

My actual favourite foods are salad and sushi, and I really like seafood in general, so I have that whenever I can, but I also drink too much and often can't be arsed, so resort to Chinese and mac d's :p I try to eat fruit, but I can't usually eat too much because I find it too sweet.

I can rustle up a decent stir-fry, but making my own sushi is beyond me, so I usually settle for something less than great. If only I were a millionaire, I'd be far healthier.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as good as it should or could be :D that's why I have a multivitamin & mineral tablet a day and drink loads of water. I take garlic capsules, oil of oregano capsules, turmeric capsules and saw palmetto tablets. One half of me is a health freak, the other, erm not so. I don't over induldge on typical things, I love pasta n sauce (packet stuff) and Asda tuna or chicken and bacon pasta salads. Whenever I go shopping, I buy loads of stuff like that, oh and jaffa cakes :o I love veg, and some fruit is ok. I don't mind things but I shop and don't select the best I should. Plus I can't be bothered eating during the work day, I eat a bit before work and take my vitamins, then one meal a day. Weekends, I drink and eat too much. I have good skin, never ill and good hair, so those tablets make up for it.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really poor.Like a death wish.The only thing that'll change me is winning a lot of money on the lottery.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Far too much late night snacking!!
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porridge and fruit for breakfast, salad for dinner and vegetables with rice or chicken for tea. Pretty good i'd say.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty good I think. I only drink once or twice a month, I eat fruit and veg every day, drink 3 to 4 pints of water a day, have cut out sugary extras for the past 5 weeks, don't drink soda or juice or cordial, one or two cups of tea a day with a little milk. I love pasta and rice, those are my only vices right now, so I'm doing okay. I don't smoke and I walk 3 to 5 km most days, not at a fast pace but I'll get there one day.
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Very good compared to the past, Lost 2 stone in weight too since Christmas,

Reason for the change? Seeing my Dad have a major stroke robbing him of his speech, swallowing, mobility and independence and sadly dying younger than he should.

Too much drinking, smoking and poor diet was the cause of his stroke. Bless him he used to say having a drink and a smoke was "his only pleasure" He wasn't overweight either which proves you don't have to be fat to have a fatal stroke or heart attack, He was slightly underweight but obviously his arteries were clogged with cholesterol.

If that experience isn't an incentive to look after myself and don't know what is! I rarely drink alcohol and have never smoked, My diet was the only thing that was really unhealthy. I feel alot better for losing the weight. :)
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If I ate in the evening like I did in the day, I would be built like a Greek God. Unfortunately when I am at home I tend to snack on crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say after just eating 3 jammy dodgers for breakfast and knowing we will be having kfc for tea that my diet is awful!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad for the last 6 months am a few pounds from my ideal weight, I was a few stone.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I range between having an awful diet and eating pretty healthily.

Currently I am in a healthy phase (after a few months of being in a "crappy" phase) so I am having 3 meals a day, plus healthy snacks but am sticking within aprox 1400 calories.

I am eating lots of fresh stuff and limiting carbs.. not cutting them out completely though! I am not eating any rubbish so no take aways / junk / booze.

I don't smoke, walk about an hour a day, BP is fine but I am good stone overweight!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do eat less junk than I used to but am still falling short on the fruit and veg front. I don't drink and I've cut the cigs down from twenty a day to about five or six. I turned forty last year and realised I just can't get away with my completely unhealthy lifestyle anymore so I have been making an effort like swapping fizzy juice for water and staying away from the sweets. My biggest problem is my mum who is always trying to force feed me when I'm at her house. Most of our conversation seems to be her going through the contents of her cupboards and me saying "no".
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty healthy. I absolutely love fruit, veg and salad, I don't eat meat and I have very limited sweet stuff. Crisps are my downfall though! I've never smoked and it's not often that I drink.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a mixture. I always cook from scratch so I know exactly what goes in all my meals. I just make whatever I fancy though and never consider fat content or anything like that.

I never eat ready meals and only occasionally have takeaway (Indian or Dominoes if I do).

I do snack quite a lot though, I've always got chocolate biscuits on my desk at work and I always have dessert after dinner.

I'm not one for eating raw fruit either, I'll always choose a bar of chocolate over an apple.

I'm naturally very skinny though, I'm 33 and weigh the same as I did when I was 18. I'm naturally fairly fit too, I don't do any regular exercise and never train yet a year ago I got up and ran 5 miles in 40 mins (which isn't bad considering I did no training or anything), I now play football once a week.

I don't smoke but I love beer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I barely drink, I never eat things like pizza, kebabs etc, but then again I hate veg too. I love pasta and chicken and fruit. I'm partial to savoury snacks too though ha.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't smoke but I drink and eat crap. For some reason though the taste of meat is making me feel sick these days so I'm having less of that.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good generally. I eat a hell of a lot of fish, lean meat, veg etc. I don't deprive myself of the odd treat though. Last night I had large cod, scampi, 4 bits of fried chicken and chips and cheese. I never bother with fizzy pop and things like cakes or choc bars.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been making a big effort this year to improve my diet. I've stopped eating almost all takeaways and processed food, I've reduced alcohol by about 50% (but could cut more) and I've never smoked. By doing this I have lost almost 2 stone since New Year. All of that is without doing any exercise at all.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely eat junk, I drink occasionally, never smoked. I'm pretty sure I get all my essential nutrients, and my portions are relatively small. I think I'm doing alright, except for maybe all the caffeine, but everyone needs at least one vice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody awful.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I don't drink too much these days, only when I go out, which is not often, maybe once avery 2 months. I packed in smoking 2 years ago, best thing I ever did, now just to sort out my diet which is abysmal. I like chocolate, crisps and bacon sarnies far too much and I am a snacker, my meals are not too bad, but could be a lot lot better. Need to kick my arse.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very raw subject for me at the moment.

I knew I was unhealthy. Do little exercise other than walking (though owing to a big back op a few years back I am very limited as to what I can do). Ate plenty of fruit/veg but as an accompaniment to lots of bad stuff (way too many curries!). Smoked both ciggies and dope. Drank about 65-70 units a week.

A month ago I took myself for a cholesterol test which was shocking. Saw my GP who sent me for a blood test which was even more shocking. He said "big lifestyle change, or stroke within a year is your choice".

Liver function severely impaired, high cholesterol and diabetes type 2.

All types of smoking cut out immediately. Alcohol intake down to 21 units a week. Big change in diet. I've been eating 800-1200 calories a day for 4 weeks now, and haven't lost an ounce - which is down to the smoking cessation I think.

It's easy to carry on with a very bad lifestyle in the belief that it will end in a bang, and that's all there is to it. That's what I thought. A stroke, however, is a terrible outcome - and it terrifies me. To cheer myself up, I spend 60 grand on a new car - which has given me terrible backache! I wish I'd bought a one-way ticket to Switzerland instead :D
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week it's been terrible, but usually it's pretty good. I cook meals from scratch, use lots of veggies to bulk out meals and I'm not a huge fan of sweet stuff on a regular basis.

My biggest vice is alcohol, but even then it's usually a once-a-week pub visit with friends, rather than 2 glasses of wine every night.

I also exercise daily, yoga or running, which allows me to really indulge on the occasion that I go out for a meal.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do eat less junk than I used to but am still falling short on the fruit and veg front. I don't drink and I've cut the cigs down from twenty a day to about five or six. I turned forty last year and realised I just can't get away with my completely unhealthy lifestyle anymore so I have been making an effort like swapping fizzy juice for water and staying away from the sweets. My biggest problem is my mum who is always trying to force feed me when I'm at her house. Most of our conversation seems to be her going through the contents of her cupboards and me saying "no".

My mom, although she doesn't live near me, is also what I would call an enabler. She's got a sweet tooth and always has candies in drawers around the house. She and her husband went to Hawaii recently (they go every year) and she always sends a box of sweets and souvenirs to us. This year it was full of jelly beans, Starburst, gummy sweets, and chewy sweets. I'm not sure why she thinks the kids need so much junk, we just had Easter, but I've put it away and just give them a little bit each day. I know if I left the big bags of jelly beans and gummies out they'd be devoured in a day or two. I've only recently cut out the sweets but I would say both myself and my daughter have 'inherited' her penchant for sugary things. I think next year I will just tell her not to send the junk. Souvenirs are okay and always appreciated, but I'd like to help my daughter to NOT become the junkies that both me and my mom were/are. My mom was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and she takes medication for high blood pressure, so I'm not sure what else it would take to get her to stop. :( Addiction is the best word I can think of to describe it. I'm in the process of kicking the habit (and it's been a challenge, I'm still not there yet) and I suspect my mom may try to sabotage my efforts in some way.