Apple iphone 3gs new screen

phonefaxphonefax Posts: 474
Forum Member
Would some kind helpful person be able to offer any help in fixing my daughters iphone.
She has had it since June 2010 and has today dropped it.
The screen is damaged but the phone appears to be working ok.
First question any idea how much a new screen would be and somewhere safe to buy one from.
Second question is would it be a simple job to fit it.
I am not a complete idiot and have fitted a new ribbon cable to an older mobile before.
Third question do I need to buy any special tools.
Fourth question how much to have it fitted professionally.
She had this bought for her 18th birthday and is really upset about what has happened.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ebay is the best place.

If its just the glass its a very cheap kit needed.
    youtube will have plenty of instructions.
  • phonefaxphonefax Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the guidance,,it looks fairly easy although at 66 years of age my fingers are not so nimble.
    I am just a little confused as to which pack I need. One pack includes digitizer and screen which need quite a bit of fiddling, but I wondered if it is possible to buy and replace just the glass front, the led screen is working fine and so are all of the other features.
    I looked on Facebook btu not quite sure which I need to order.
    regards
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she had the phone new in June 2010, that's less than a year. If you have an Apple store nearby, take the phone in and ask if they can help. You might get a nice salesperson who is willing to get it fixed, or even swap it. It's definitely worth a try, especially as they're likely to be retiring the 3GS this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above take it to apple, quite often they will swap out damaged handsets and even out of warranty it's something like £99 for a replacement so not to bad a price all considered
  • phonefaxphonefax Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I agree £99 to swap out is not bad but to a student its a lot of money,, I have in fact contacted the Apple repair store in Leicester not too far away. You have to make an appointment, they quoted anything up to £110.
    If it was a case of just popping in to chat up the assistant it would be worth a try.
    Thanks anyway
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its about £7.50 max for the glass and kit from ebay.

If you watched the video that's all there is too it.