DVD recorder image issues with Freeview box

ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is really annoying me as it keeps happening then it goes only to come back again

I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a freeview box connected to my Phillips TV via scart, there are co-ax connections too. I do have a digital aerial and picture qulaity is fine when just viewing fromt the freeview box

Problem is when recording from Freeview box the picture quality is all over - hard to explain but a bit like a colour negative and streaky if that makes any sense. If I record from another source then picture quality is fine.

Any help appreciated as its driving me nuts and I cant record anything other thatn terrestial at moment

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1/ No such thing as a "digital aerial" :)
    2/ How is all this connected up?

Is there any direct connection from Freeview box to DVD recorder? Or are you going via the TV? From what you have described it sounds very much like there is an issue with how the video signals get from Freeview box to DVD recorder. Which is either down to how they are connected or the cables used to connect them.

To be honest your best option would be to forget your current set up and either swap the Freeview box for a Freeview PVR and use that to record. Or swap the DVD recorder for a Freeview version. Would ave a shed load of pain in the process.
  • ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Yeah I know but you know what I mean

2 - I'll have to check - last time it happened I re-did all the connections but I'm certain the Freeview is connected direct to the DVD via scart (to the decoder socket on DVD) - though both will work with the other off if youget my drift - DVD direct via scart to TV ext 1 (has to be 1 for tv to utilise dolby settings)
    TV signal via aerial cable from wall socket to Freeview then linked through DVD (I think) to TV

I love my Pioneer though and I know my set up works most of the time but this intermittant issue is so annoying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you using something like this?

Freeview "TV" SCART --> DVD "Decoder" SCART
    DVD "TV" SCART --> TV "E1" SCART

And presumably you have everything set to RGB for the best video quality?

First step is to double check all the connections. SCART plugs are notorious for falling out with no provocation at all. Then check the cables are up to the job. Ideally you should be using individually screened cables. This is where each video and audio connection has it's own screen which reduces interference between the wires. Cheap cables have just an over all screen round all the wires. Can lead to all kinds of nasty effects.

And finally double check all the settings. Especially what video modes each bit of kit in the chain is using. If the Freeview box is outputting RGB make sure the recorder can input RGB on the Decoder SCART. And if so that it is set to RGB. Often the simple things like this are the cause of a lot of problems and worth getting the obvious out of the way first. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those connections sound right - all settings are RGB - I'll check the scarts tonight

Could the co-ax looping through the DVD, Freeview and TV be an issue my understanding being that this is needed for each to work independantly of the others.

THinking back the last time I had the problem it may have been after the Freeview box had updated and I had to re-install all channels not sure if there could be a link there or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RF is needed for the tuners in the various bits of kit to work properly. I would not use it to record from. That is if your freeview box has a modulator in it (not so common these days it appears).

If the box update triggered a "factory" reset then it may well have affected the settings. Well worth a double check in that case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe thats it - I'll check that out too

cheers

does it make any difference as to where the RF feeds to first think I've got mine to the Freeview first then to DVD then onto TV
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reefman wrote: »
    does it make any difference as to where the RF feeds to first think I've got mine to the Freeview first then to DVD then onto TV

That would make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reefman wrote: »
    It shouldn't really. However having the Freeview box first does mean it gets the cleanest signal.

Which can be important if you live in a poor signal area. Plus there is less chance of any modulator in the DVD recorder producing interference to any of the digital UHF channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorted now thanks everyone for help and comments

I did a freeview box reset as new installation and no interference - not that I understand why this should happen