Comments

• vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2233 wrote: »
    it's like the sheep that bought to Joe's single

vs

the sheep that bought RATM

It's a joke really, i would have been very happy if a single had beaten xfactor fair and square because it was a great song but not because of a facebook campaign.

It's just worrying how many people can not think for themselves these days .

The X Factor song was beaten fair and square, more people downloaded KITN than buy 'The Climb'. Nothing unfair about it.

Now lets look at it, when was the number 1 spot in the UK chart relevant? Most bands/artists do not care for the position anymore, they make more money on tours and really to be a great successful band/artist you need to go out on tour. the number 1 spot has been a joke for years and does not represent anything.

As mentioned ina previous post, there seems to be a fixation on the number 1 like it means something... when it doesn't, any Joe (pun intended) can have a top 5 hit... can they go out and sell on tour? That's the main question and true test.

Coming back to this argument however, without this internet campaign X-Factor would be number 1. Really the internet just did exactly what Simon Cowell has been doing for years, exploiting the charts. The protest is more of telling Simon Cowell, that he isn't special or unique. Given its day he isn't all that powerful. People can take back the charts and decide what they want for number 1.

Also if this was about music (which the number 1 spot hardily represents anyways) neither RATM or X-Factor would be in the top 40.

Just a question though, when was the last time a rock band got to number 1 in this country?... as far as I remember its been full of rubbish plus Kings of Leon for the past 4 years.
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

how about buying a single you like rather that buying something someone has told you to. I find the whole think funny and ironic :)

That whole "think" is funny when you consider you just made up the OP buying the single. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a joke really, i would have been very happy if a single had beaten xfactor fair and square because it was a great song but not because of a facebook campaign.

Elaborate please.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

vs

Very true - and they can't write music either by the look of it. Why use an old band that hasn't been recording since 2000 when there are loads of talented writer/musicians out there (allegedly) who could come up with a new Christmas song. If bloomin' Slade/WizardThe Pretenders/The Pogues/John lennon/ could do it why can't the new ones?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    That whole "think" is funny when you consider you just made up the OP buying the single. :p

Where did i say the OP bought the single, i was refering to the people that did.

And did i spell a word wrong ?, shall i go through all your posts and point out your mistakes :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    The X Factor song was beaten fair and square, more people downloaded KITN than buy 'The Climb'. Nothing unfair about it.

Now lets look at it, when was the number 1 spot in the UK chart relevant? Most bands/artists do not care for the position anymore, they make more money on tours and really to be a great successful band/artist you need to go out on tour. the number 1 spot has been a joke for years and does not represent anything.

As mentioned ina previous post, there seems to be a fixation on the number 1 like it means something... when it doesn't, any Joe (pun intended) can have a top 5 hit... can they go out and sell on tour? That's the main question and true test.

Coming back to this argument however, without this internet campaign X-Factor would be number 1. Really the internet just did exactly what Simon Cowell has been doing for years, exploiting the charts. The protest is more of telling Simon Cowell, that he isn't special or unique. Given its day he isn't all that powerful. People can take back the charts and decide what they want for number 1.

Also if this was about music (which the number 1 spot hardily represents anyways) neither RATM or X-Factor would be in the top 40.

Just a question though, when was the last time a rock band got to number 1 in this country?... as far as I remember its been full of rubbish plus Kings of Leon for the past 4 years.

Yep your agreeing with me that is what i said in a earlier post, it's no different, People should buy singles that they like not what Cowell or a Facebook group want them to.

When i said fair and square i meant being no.1 without a silly internet campaign, but as it is they are both as bad as each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elaborate please.

RATM were no.1 because of a facebook group not because of the music which is no different than if Joe was no.1.

Tv campaign vs Internet campaign

Music had very little to do with it.

People should have there own minds and not get brainwashed
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

vs

^ This
  • Mr ReyMr Rey Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This incident has proved that the chart-obsessed public really don't have the first idea of what the RATM campaign was about.

It was clearly a stand against the monopolist cookie-cutter manufacturing agents like Cowell. Joe didn't even write his own song, for gods sake. He even covered a song that was made this year. That's not music, have the inspiration to write songs about what YOU want, don't get some idiot to write them for you. X-factor is ENTERTAINMENT, not music.

RATM are NOT a new band and have been around for 18 years, since the birth of Joe. They got popular for their music, they were not manufactured in competitions like X-Factor.

If you're a good "artist" you can get popular on your own without the help of fat-cats like Simon Cowell. Many bands/singers have done it.

So it didn't matter if the no.1 song was RATM, Michael Jackson, even GARY GLITTER. Music should be about music and that's what the campaign represented.

Hang on why are you mentioning Jackson if you don't like manufactured acts who don't write their own music?

Michael Jacko's earlier career was WORSE than xfactor, he and his brothers were trawled around each and every talent show going at the time in a bid to make them famous. If Xfactor had exsisted in the 60s then the Jackson Five would have entered it for sure!

Furthermore Jackson did not "write" any of his songs, not in the sense that RATM did. Sure he may be credited for writing some of the lyrics but the song, melody, beat etc (the things you actually like/remember from his songs) were composed by writers.

When people say they don't like "manufactured acts" what they really mean is they don't like NEW pop acts essentially.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Nobody will remember who RATM again in a few months time.

The same might apply for Joe, however, but only time will tell. Alexandra and JLS are still in the charts, a year after their series of the X Factor ended, and have both had 2 number ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

The same might apply for Joe, however, but only time will tell. Alexandra and JLS are still in the charts, a year after their series of the X Factor ended, and have both had 2 number ones.

People have been listening to RATM for almost 20 years, I think it's fair to say the huge numbers of people who were listening to them before this campaign started aren't going to forget who they are in the next few months.

One of the oddest things in this whole "battle" is the constant implication that RATM are some small time band that have been propelled to stardom by an internet campaign. Make no mistake about it, RATM have achieved far more in their time than any of the X-Factor winners have or likely ever will. Is Joe McElderry really going to have two number one albums in the U.S.? Is he going to release multiple platinum selling records in the U.S., Australia and Canada? Will he be touring the world playing to tens of thousands of people at every gig? He'll be lucky if he achieves a fraction of that in his career.
  • Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may have been posted elsewhere, but this is a handy link to post in response to anyone who doesn't understand the ideals behind the RATM campaign.

http://saveourmusicindustry.com/
  • Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RATM were no.1 because of a facebook group not because of the music which is no different than if Joe was no.1.

Tv campaign vs Internet campaign

Music had very little to do with it.

People should have there own minds and not get brainwashed

..You're really missing the point here ''Dave'' so let me break it down for you.

It was irrelevant what song or indeed what band was chosen to disrupt the ''guaranteed'' No.1 Xmas spot for an X-Factor contestant.

It was just a campaign designed to upset the motion of manufactured drone-like pop acts that have been force fed to the British public over the past decade on a massive scale not seen before.

It was a social statement to choose that song in particular more for it's lyrical content than anything else.
  • Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

RATM have been major players in the hard rock scene since the early 90s, the song ''killing in the name'' was actually released in 1992 and was a massive hit considering radio stations would not play it, if they did then of course they would have sold much much more copies of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    People have been listening to RATM for almost 20 years, I think it's fair to say the huge numbers of people who were listening to them before this campaign started aren't going to forget who they are in the next few months.

One of the oddest things in this whole "battle" is the constant implication that RATM are some small time band that have been propelled to stardom by an internet campaign. Make no mistake about it, RATM have achieved far more in their time than any of the X-Factor winners have or likely ever will. Is Joe McElderry really going to have two number one albums in the U.S.? Is he going to release multiple platinum selling records in the U.S., Australia and Canada? Will he be touring the world playing to tens of thousands of people at every gig? He'll be lucky if he achieves a fraction of that in his career.

Totally agree.

Not sure why people think Rage are a nobody band they are massive
    Apart from the album successes you mentioned they have won 2 grammys. Their self titled debut album was #368 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. They have headlined Cochella, Reading, Lollapalooza among others..had their music used films and games like the Matrix.

Lets match that with Joes achievements..

Won X Factor
    Got a #2 singing a Miley Cyrus song

I just cannot work out whos bigger...maybe Louis Walsh can help me :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »
    Hang on why are you mentioning Jackson if you don't like manufactured acts who don't write their own music?

Michael Jacko's earlier career was WORSE than xfactor, he and his brothers were trawled around each and every talent show going at the time in a bid to make them famous. If Xfactor had exsisted in the 60s then the Jackson Five would have entered it for sure!

Furthermore Jackson did not "write" any of his songs, not in the sense that RATM did. Sure he may be credited for writing some of the lyrics but the song, melody, beat etc (the things you actually like/remember from his songs) were composed by writers.

When people say they don't like "manufactured acts" what they really mean is they don't like NEW pop acts essentially.

The X-Factor was running in the seventies?

And you missed the point, it doesn't matter who the act was, as long as it wasn't X-Factor. If you're comparing Michael Jackson to these manufactured dummies on a TV program watched by 20m people each week then you have issues.