Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 22)

Comments

• Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems he has called it quits before a scheduled meeting with Peter Lawwell.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Seems he has called it quits before a scheduled meeting with Peter Lawwell.

Not getting the funds he wanted for the summer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like Celtic to give Moyes a chance to rebuild his reputation but get the feeling new man will be cheap.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hands off Paul Hartley :D
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would like Celtic to give Moyes a chance to rebuild his reputation but get the feeling new man will be cheap.

I don't think that would work. If he fails, he's a numpty, if he succeeds, "it's only Celtic".
    Unless he got us to the quarters of the CL, he wouldn't do his reputation any good.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprises Lennon left. The board know they don't need to give him any money as the league is over before it starts. He'll end up at West Brom or Norwich. Can't see Moyes taking a big step down. Maybe Henrik Larsson or Owen Coyle I think.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    No surprises Lennon left. The board know they don't need to give him any money as the league is over before it starts. He'll end up at West Brom or Norwich. Can't see Moyes taking a big step down. Maybe Henrik Larsson or Owen Coyle I think.

The problem is that the celtic board are happy just to get 6 champions league games.

They don't seem to want to progress on from this. It takes money and they dont want to spend any.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hands off Ian Murray :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    I don't think that would work. If he fails, he's a numpty, if he succeeds, "it's only Celtic".
    Unless he got us to the quarters of the CL, he wouldn't do his reputation any good.

He won't get a better chance to be in the champions league.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    The problem is that the celtic board are happy just to get 6 champions league games.

They don't seem to want to progress on from this. It takes money and they dont want to spend any.

The trouble is is that such a board attitude is very understandable. Why would you go out on a limb for just the possibility of more Champions League progress, when you are winning the league by miles and should be doing better in cups anyway.

What would help is more domestic competition, and that almost certainly means from a revitalised Rangers.

As much as it is irksome the scattergun vindictive plague on all your houses from some Rangers fans ( when the fault all lies within Rangers and their different incarnations ), Scottish football would be the better for a competitive Rangers back in the Premiership ( and whatever some Celtic fans like to pretend, I've personally never thought otherwise ).

Apologies for this balanced point of view from a non Old Firm fan :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the quotes from Henrik - he's certainly not ruling himself out.

Larsson, Lubo and TEG dream team?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He won't get a better chance to be in the champions league.

Hmm, if that was his only motivation. Otherwise, I agree that unless he did something exceptional in Europe, it's pretty much a no win position for Moyes.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A more serious one, hands off Jackie Mac :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than Moyes I don't think there are any Scottish managers good enough for Celtic atm.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than Moyes I don't think there are any Scottish managers good enough for Celtic atm.

Have you been drinking?!!

Your choices are a loyal ex-player, someone looking to repair their reputation or a young up and coming manager.

The old firm ego knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any Scottish manager could win that league with that squad and that seems to be the main aim. Qualifying for Europe seems pretty straightforward too and due to the lack of investment there seems to be no desire to progress on that front. I can't see Moyes taking it, from the hardest job in the UK to the easiest seems a major comedown.

Larsson or Coyle whoever works out cheapest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote: »

Your choices are a loyal ex-player, someone looking to repair their reputation or a young up and coming manager.

It can be entertaining. Though it is often quite difficult with Old Firm fans to tell if they are on the wind up or delusional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dermot Desmond informed days ago about Lennon leaving according to Alex O'Henley.

Makes you wonder where the Sun got the Lennon wants Craig Gordon story from?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fear celtic will come looking for jackie McNamara rather than david Moyes

Especially with the finding of young scottish something celtic need to improve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Lennon to assist the board to appoint his successor.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Lennon to assist the board to appoint his successor.

That went well when let Sir Alex have a hand in picking his successor!

Let's hope that Celtic and Lennon do a better job then we did!
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems very strange that all non old firm fans on this forum seem obsessed with the old firm ...

McNamara has done absolutely nothing at United thus far to further his career - Blackpool is quite possibly his level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't appoint Larsson if I was on the board, when it goes right the fans will back him and when it goes bad the ire will be directed at the board for not funding his ambitions. Getting in an Owen Coyle type seems the right thing to do. A yes man with no cult following that will just get on with the easy job of winning the league this season and maybe scraping 3rd in a CL group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »

Yet no guarantee they'll get those 6 games if the best players are constantly sold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I shall withdraw that comment - I forgot about Steve Clarke.