Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad TOTP but it would have been much better if they'd left in the edited tracks.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cliff may be a joke but this tune is one exception.:)

I think if you really think about it you'll agree there is far more than just one exception.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a vintage one, I'm afraid, Johnny Mathis was dire, his attempts to go disco were too late, and also a bit of a swan song from Boney M. Still, The Stranglers were good and Gary Numan was on top form again.
    Actually in 1979 Cliff, for all none of his songs do much for me, was becoming very slightly fashionable and hits like Carrie and We Don't Talk must have filtered down to a younger market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Cliff track is Miss You Nights, it's really moving and atmospheric. Bloody Westlife shafted it a few years ago. Bloody Westlife. Aye, Bloody Westlife. Bah.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Very musically diverse show tonight, something for most tastes one way or another.

By the look of it no show next week 'cos of the Proms . :(

Ain't it gonna be a few weeks now, because they are running out of shows that are not Yew Treeed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Not a vintage one, I'm afraid, Johnny Mathis was dire, his attempts to go disco were too late, and also a bit of a swan song from Boney M. Still, The Stranglers were good and Gary Numan was on top form again.
    Actually in 1979 Cliff, for all none of his songs do much for me, was becoming very slightly fashionable and hits like Carrie and We Don't Talk must have filtered down to a younger market.

IMO Johnny Mathis was ALWAYS dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO Johnny Mathis was ALWAYS dire.

Aw, I have a soft spot for "When A Child is Born"
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Classic Boney M to finish.

I agree! :). Trust Boney M to wait until the end of their career to bring out their best hit!!
  • Options
    Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Very musically diverse show tonight, something for most tastes one way or another.

By the look of it no show next week 'cos of the Proms . :(

I haven't tracked down the original source yet but a poster on Roobards reporting that another forum says no shows until late September
  • Options
    nerak gnerak g Posts: 2,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I secretly like a few of Cliffy's songs - Ocean Deep, Miss You Nights and Suddenly with Olivia Neutron Bomb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Diana Ross didn't exactly set the charts alive during the main disco era like could have been anticipated. In this weeks TOTP her record called The Boss is falling out the charts having scraped a peak week at just a lowly No40.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    The video to Wired For Sound is quite possibly the (unintentionally) funniest music video I've ever seen. :D

Hope it's not on a Yewtreed episode!

Actually, I quite enjoyed seeing We don't Talk Anymore again - decent chorus! Plus I'm glad Cliff made the effort with his jazzy jacket for No 1! :)
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spdub2 wrote: »
    I haven't tracked down the original source yet but a poster on Roobards reporting that another forum says no shows until late September

:o:o:( Not good news if true.
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Diana Ross didn't exactly set the charts alive during the main disco era like could have been anticipated. In this weeks TOTP her record called The Boss is falling out the charts having scraped a peak week at just a lowly No40.

Shocked at that poor peak chart position. But, not overly surprised as didn't know the song at all until hearing it on a Ross 'Greatest Hits' compilation a couple of years back. I'm generally not a fan of disco music, but thought that was a great song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snR3zv1uHMs
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Not a bad TOTP but it would have been much better if they'd left in the edited tracks.

Just watch/record the late night edition.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Boss is a fine tune.

Still, at least Chic's Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were all set to work their magic on Diana in 1980, big time!:cool:
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode! Highlights for me were Nick Lowe, Legs and Co in a rather sultry dance to Lost in Music :o, Gary Numan (a true classic record!), The Stranglers in their first non-punk single, and Cliff Richard. Not a massive fan of Cliff as a person tbh, but there's no denying he released some great records from here through to the early 80s. My favourites are Carrie, Wired For Sound and a few decent album tracks including Broken Doll.

Gonna miss TOTP when it's not on next week. Does anyone know for how long TOTP will be off air?
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Think i liked just about every song in the charts back then. Bellamy Brothers were dire mind, only the title got them in the charts !
    Superb variety of music. Johnny Mathis track was really good imo. Cliff..classic number one. Loved most his 70s/80s stuff. Devil woman, Miss you nights, Carrie,Never say die, Dreamin',
  • Options
    Forum Member

Gonna miss TOTP when it's not on next week. Does anyone know for how long TOTP will be off air?

Someone said until September! :(
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Someone said until September! :(

Reminds me of that classic Carole King single, "It Might As Well Rain Until September"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of that classic Carole King single, "It Might As Well Rain Until September"!
    :o

I was scrolling down slowly and as I read Ursula's comment about TOTP possibly being off until September, that Carole King song came immediately to mind and I was going to do exactly what you did above!

If it is off until then, as Cliff sang on one of his other No1's in 1963......"We're all going on a Summer Holiday, no more WRITING for a week or two". :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boss is a fine tune.

Still, at least Chic's Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were all set to work their magic on Diana in 1980, big time!:cool:

Written by another "solid" songwriting duo too, Ashford & Simpson.

Although not a big commercial hit single, The Boss by Diana Ross was actually No1 for a couple of weeks at the time of this weeks TOTP on the American Dance Chart, so going down a storm in the clubs, like Studio 54 I guess.

Out of interest, are you going to see Kate Bush soon Hound Of Love? Can you imagine her going disco in '79! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another opening dud. Sound quality is poor on this.

I cannot believe how many people on this thread do not know Time for Action by Secret Affair. A great single (which was a hit).
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Every time I tune in to TOTP, it seems to be the same tunes, lost track of how many times Gary Numan has been on!

Does anyone think they should somehow be sped up a bit, maybe put two or three edited episodes together, instead of showing every single full-length show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I tune in to TOTP, it seems to be the same tunes, lost track of how many times Gary Numan has been on!

Does anyone think they should somehow be sped up a bit, maybe put two or three edited episodes together, instead of showing every single full-length show?

NO! >:(

First Gary Numan appearance with Cars by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amusing to see just how uncomfortable the other singer at the start of The Commodores performance looks at having Lionel Ritchie's arm around him!
This discussion has been closed.