Big School series 2

Comments

• MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It made me chortle. I can see why some people aren't enjoying it, but it makes me laugh somehow - really good cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was a good episode..
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's enjoying it. My husband and two teenagers enjoy it too.

We are loving it in our house too !! :D
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I must have missed that memo. My childrens' schools have Headmasters. The one down the road has a Headmistress. The words are perfectly ok to use. Colleges have Principals.

Thank you for this!

I'm so tired of everything being Americanised. It started years ago with trick or treating. Secondary schools became high schools. Kids started having proms. Pregnant women now have baby showers. The different series of a programme became seasons. Now apparently the head teacher is called the principal. Have the different terms become semesters yet? It's only a matter of time.

Can we please stop blindly following the Americans in everything they do and keep our own traditions and vocabulary?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »

Theres a big difference between Grange Hill covering the issue of drug addiction compared to how drugs were featured in last nights episode.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    Thank you for this!

I'm so tired of everything being Americanised. It started years ago with trick or treating. Secondary schools became high schools. Kids started having proms. Pregnant women now have baby showers. The different series of a programme became seasons. Now apparently the head teacher is called the principal. Have the different terms become semesters yet? It's only a matter of time.

Can we please stop blindly following the Americans in everything they do and keep our own traditions and vocabulary?

American's speak English after all, they've taken far more from Britain in words they use and say than the people here picking up on some of their phrases.

People use English in different ways and are going to use words that we wouldn't use here because it's practiced all over the World and it would be unfair to tell them what to do, but so what - they're using English after all, which is a good thing.

In American TV right now there are loads of British actors and shows featuring British people using their accents and slang, they're taking from us too. It's not a case of big America influencing small Britain to speak like them. It's working both ways - they're speaking far more English than us using Americanized words.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite enjoying it, if only for Frances de la Tour's comic timing; "you must have been off your TITS" :D
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too am really enjoying this show.
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the people who don't like it and continuously slag it off, try writing an episode yourself.

Having said that you'd probably do one where everybody is just depressed.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the people who don't like it and continuously slag it off, try writing an episode yourself.

Having said that you'd probably do one where everybody is just depressed.

All we'd have to do is get the 'Big Book of Comedy Cliches' and copy from it.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I cannot believe it got a 2nd series.

This ^
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely got a lot better, love it know.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American's speak English after all, they've taken far more from Britain in words they use and say than the people here picking up on some of their phrases.

People use English in different ways and are going to use words that we wouldn't use here because it's practiced all over the World and it would be unfair to tell them what to do, but so what - they're using English after all, which is a good thing.

In American TV right now there are loads of British actors and shows featuring British people using their accents and slang, they're taking from us too. It's not a case of big America influencing small Britain to speak like them. It's working both ways - they're speaking far more English than us using Americanized words.

Which British actors are using accents and slang in the US? All the ones I can think of are either pretending to be American or playing baddies.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I thought this week's episode was the best so far - largely because it mostly revolved around Frances De La Tour who is terrific in everything she does!
  • tvhonourtvhonour Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really gotten into this series as much as the first (but that's down to me not paying too much attention when its on because of trying to work from home lol), but I loved Friday's episode. Frances de la Tour makes me laugh every time :-D Think I'll have to catch up on all series 2 episodes saved on my planner soon.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    I thought this week's episode was the best so far - largely because it mostly revolved around Frances De La Tour who is terrific in everything she does!

Agreed, delivered the best line I've heard in a comedy show for a long time last week.

When asked if she would be attending parents' evening she said 'I'd rather shit in my hands and then clap'

Brilliant :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Agreed, delivered the best line I've heard in a comedy show for a long time last week.

When asked if she would be attending parents' evening she said 'I'd rather shit in my hands and then clap'

Brilliant :D

And great she was in it so much more this week, she is brilliant, but with that line what would Miss Jones think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where has this series gone, tonight, or was it a short series! Guess it was not good enough to see off the x factor.
  • CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    So where has this series gone, tonight, or was it a short series! Guess it was not good enough to see off the x factor.

Back next Friday, it made way for SCD.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the OFSTED one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a bad episode, I just don't find Jack Caroll funny, same ol same ol.. And as for his acting, comic timing, sorry his has none.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    That was a bad episode, I just don't find Jack Caroll funny, same ol same ol.. And as for his acting, comic timing, sorry his has none.

Which one is he ?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Which one is he ?

He was the lad in the wheel chair, he was runner up in Britain's Got Talent.

Big School is as funny as a sledgehammer to the head.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was the lad in the wheel chair, he was runner up in Britain's Got Talent.

Big School is as funny as a sledgehammer to the head.

I quite liked him, I found him funny. Is Simon Cowell getting a cut of his earnings.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I quite liked him, I found him funny. Is Simon Cowell getting a cut of his earnings.?

I bet he is, so nudged Walliams to write him in, I hope he not in it next week.