Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesisace wrote: »
    See I have trouble here. I'm straight but except for Liam I wouldn't class any of them as being all that good-looking

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personally, I wouldn't say no to any of them..;).
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I have no idea if they wrote a word or note on it but, to be honest, I think they turned out an above par first album. A few times I have been out and about, heard some tune and thought "hey, that's quite catchy", shazamed it and... lo and behold... it's been One Direction. At least they're not singing boring ballads and covers all the time which is a boy band formula that puts me to sleep in about two seconds flat.

I don't hate them - and man, have I hated some boy band garbage in my time - I don't love them, either. I just happen to think they're a bit better than your average boy band. I suppose the question, for me is, why such a HUGE amount of love for them? Their success in America bemuses me. Why them? Why now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    They just look too too happy lol
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    snowiris wrote: »
    They just look too too happy lol

What's wrong with that? :D
    Forum Member
    The fandom however is nowhere near as bad as that of Justin Bieber's but is quite severe at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I don't necessarily love them but I do love that people get so wound up about them and launch into massive essays about how crap they are.

Imagine hating something that has that little effect on your life that you'll take ten minutes out of your day to write about how much you loath it. Hilarious.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no long essay then.

1D simply represent all that is wrong with pop music at the moment. They are just wannabes with very little talent.

Time might change that......
  • LibbyScottLibbyScott Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have the answer and I don't hate them but I imagine the hatred is like a drop in the ocean for them.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Gee, that sounds like Katy Perry.

Katy Perry's not all that bad! Her second album is a lot different in terms of music style than her debut, but if you listen to some of the songs on her album(s) they're actually rather personal. I like her :D

As for 1D, what I hate most about them is that they're everywhere and that you can't escape them. They're on the TV, the radio, the internet and in magazines. It can be annoying for a non-fan. I also hate the way some people seem to think they're the second coming of music when they're just another boyband and not even a good one. They're really just a cash cow for Simon Cowell and once the kids and teens grow out of them they'll probably be quickly forgotten about. Their music isn't great either. All the songs of theirs I've heard sound the same.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't 'hate' One Direction because they're just a bunch of lads who a now well-known machine is permitting to have some success - and good luck to them for that, they're making the most of an opportunity that's there for them.

As to the 'music', I know exactly what it's going to sound like without actually needing to hear it, and know it will be generic push-button shit, and anyone who wants to challenge that is either being disingenuous or else really isn't that very clued up in general terms.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I don't see what people have against them.

Personally, I have very little against them.. Zayn seems like an arrogant arse but the other four seem nice enough people.. What I have against them is down to their music which I can't stand.. Yes they are a boyband, and their style of music reflects that, but its formulaic crap at the very best.. Between two albums, they have shown zero progression in sound or lyrics..

Also the fact they took two pretty classic tracks, put them together, and completely stamped all over them to ruin both at the same time
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think people hate them.Think people are annoyed by the anti-critical reaction they generally get from the mainstream media."Oh! we mustn't upset those 'tweenies' must we - we'll only get accused of bullying".Should only be on CBBC TV for a start.BBC radio 1 is not part of their demographic really even (1D are mostly aimed at the just under 15 market - radio 1 supposed to cater for the 15 - 29 demograhic).Don't tune into Radio 1 (or other stations of a similar demograhic) therefore, doesn't really bother me - can see how they would get on people nerves who do though.Get to much coverage on TV channels that are 'supposed' cater for 'generally' older audiences.Aren't there supposed to be less tweenies (11 - 15 ?) about these days.Shouldn't they be in bed by 8-30 pm to get plenty of rest for school the next day anyway :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Ah the default answer, must be jealously lol. Ridiculous.

It could be that none of them have any real talent (heck couldn't even make it through to X factor on their own.)

I could be wrong, but originally didn't one of them cry like a little girl when he got told no, but then producers thought "Hang on a minute, a boy who hasn't grown a pair yet, cannot sing for love of money, but shows his sensitive side. *Ting ting ££££££££££*, let's stick the idiot with a few other idiots who cannot sing, but look good & we'll make a packet out of gullible teenage girls.

I swear that during some of there performances, they were flatter than Keira Knightley, without equipment to dramatically improve vocals. But because they looked the part, they got a record deal.
    Forum Member
    Their harmonies are reflected in performances such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIawNM0LuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgRNOBIRhw

And if you listen to an edited version of their first single (with the music removed almost completely): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hCgSmajqU - it's evident there.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their harmonies are reflected in performances such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIawNM0LuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgRNOBIRhw

And if you listen to an edited version of their first single (with the music removed almost completely): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hCgSmajqU - it's evident there.

thx for revisiting those lovely performances. especially LT on CIN 2012-- all the memories...:D:p:cool:
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    I don't like their attitudes. They seem very arrogant and it's gone to their heads. Of course, they've had a massive rise to fame but even so, some of the worlds biggest popstars are still grounded, likeable alongside their talent. Not all of the boys though - Niall and Liam seem down to earth. Louis however... he seems a complete arse, cocky tool and full of his own self importance and worth. I don't like that.

They seem? How do you know this? I agree many stars who have had a metoric rise to fame while very young often go off the rails but as it stands these boys from where I am sitting still seem very grounded and grateful for the opportunity they have been given. Which, lets face it not one of us on this thread would turn down in favour of finishing schooland probably ending up on the dole!

As for no talent well that is really subjective and there are plenty of you tube performances on line that prove they can sing and have all grown in performance skills and stage craft since X Factor days.

I saw TT, McFly and Boyzone in their early days and they were all pretty rubbish and have grown in to the acts they are today just as these boys are.

I hate this British trait of hating success for anyone yes even TOWIE and BB (neither of the latter is my cup of tea but if they can make money and keep off the dole then fine by me!). I wish we were all like the Americans who celebrate success no matter if it is to their taste or not.

Boy bands may not be your cup of tea but surely if our daughters (and sons judging by their gigs) like them then what harm is it doing. Kids grow up soon enough and find their own musical identity and shouldn't have their parents telling them what they SHOULD like! My parents thought the beatles were disgusting yobs when they first came out and when I obsessed over them they thought they were the root of all evil! Ha see how things don't really change!

Sorry for the long post which was not intentional but I do find it laughable so many posts and so much hate on 5 harmless lads making music and having the time of their lives while making pots and pots of money!! :D:D
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not really bothered that people don't like 1D and their music, or don't think that they sing that well. I think that way about many other artists tbh...

What I dislike is the way some people get out of their way to be hateful and insulting towards them and their fans...
    But what can we really do about that? Maybe they need to release their daily frustration... I think that they could go look at things they like instead, but to each their own.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Personally, I have very little against them.. Zayn seems like an arrogant arse but the other four seem nice enough people.. What I have against them is down to their music which I can't stand.. Yes they are a boyband, and their style of music reflects that, but its formulaic crap at the very best.. Between two albums, they have shown zero progression in sound or lyrics..

Also the fact they took two pretty classic tracks, put them together, and completely stamped all over them to ruin both at the same time

Every one of their songs sounds the same and there's nothing interesting or unique about them. You'd think they'd try to change their sound at least once in a while. The Comic Relief song is dreadful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    newplanet wrote: »
    I have no idea if they wrote a word or note on it but, to be honest, I think they turned out an above par first album. A few times I have been out and about, heard some tune and thought "hey, that's quite catchy", shazamed it and... lo and behold... it's been One Direction. At least they're not singing boring ballads and covers all the time which is a boy band formula that puts me to sleep in about two seconds flat.

I don't hate them - and man, have I hated some boy band garbage in my time - I don't love them, either. I just happen to think they're a bit better than your average boy band. I suppose the question, for me is, why such a HUGE amount of love for them? Their success in America bemuses me. Why them? Why now?

Mega hype initiated by Simon Cowell and his gang. Musical wise they are probably the least talented (boy) band ever, they can't write, they can't sing, they can't play instruments, they can't dance. They just look pretty and lack all talents necessary to be a musician. It's just shocking that these guys can be succesful in the music business. It would be ok if they were succesful actors,but hey, music?????
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    I am not really bothered that people don't like 1D and their music, or don't think that they sing that well. I think that way about many other artists tbh...

What I dislike is the way some people get out of their way to be hateful and insulting towards them and their fans...
    But what can we really do about that? Maybe they need to release their daily frustration... I think that they could go look at things they like instead, but to each their own.

One Direction is completely talent free, 0 % talent, 50 % looks, 50 % hype. That has nothing to do with music.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Detest them, their music, their management and their fans.
    This :p
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate them I just thnk they are irrelevant
    Forum Member
    One Direction is completely talent free, 0 % talent, 50 % looks, 50 % hype. That has nothing to do with music.

Have you actually listened to a performance by them thoroughly (taking their vocal ability into context)?
    Forum Member
    Have you actually listened to a performance by them thoroughly (taking their vocal ability into context)?

Ability? Vocal ability? They were to weak to be solo singers on Xfactor! Oh dear! Nobody has an interest in One Direction because of their music, but only because of their looks. They were by far the most embarrassing"stars" singing at the Olympic Closing ceremony.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hate them just don't care about them! lol They are cute for little girls though. :)