Will Muslims ever become Atheist?

CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
Forum Member
While Christianity in the UK is becoming heavily effected by Atheism and Agnosticism, Islam still seems to retain a large following.

It seems to me that even the most intelligent and free thinking Muslims still hold onto their faith and won't hear any talk that contradicts it being the truth.

Do you think Atheism will ever become common in Muslim communities, or is it so culturally ingrained in Arab and South Asian identities that it would be extremely difficult for them to ever fully abandon Islam?

Comments

• ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I know several Turks, Albanians and Turkish Cypriots who are Muslim by name and nothing else. They are as Muslim as most Brits who put C of E on their religious status when it comes to filling out forms.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Atheism and agnosticism isn't exclusively linked to Christanity; it applies to all religions, therefore it hasn't 'effected' (do you mean infected?) it. I know many people raised in Muslim (and Hindu) families who have basically rejected 'their' faiths. I see no reason why atheism shouldn't be on a par within pre-dominantly Muslim countries, however how would we ever know?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two hot button topics for the price of one are always good value.

I'm an atheist and hope that the Islamic world is headed for an age of enlightenment where people are freer to make up their own minds about religion rather than being drafted into it at an early age.

I think Christianity was culturally ingrained into British society at the turn of the last century so there's always hope for change.

In the meantime I hope Muslims and non-Muslims can live side by side peacefully.
  • CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I know several Turks, Albanians and Turkish Cypriots who are Muslim by name and nothing else. They are as Muslim as most Brits who put C of E on their religious status when it comes to filling out forms.

Yes, but many Brits are now actually abandoning even nominally referring to themselves as C of E and now call themselves either Atheist or Agnostic.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Yes, but many Brits are now actually abandoning even nominally referring to themselves as C of E and now call themselves either Atheist or Agnostic.

I think our culture has had the luxury for some time now of being given the time to even think about things like this. For people from other cultures, other things are more important. Theological debate comes way down the list of priorities.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Christianity in the UK is becoming heavily effected by Atheism and Agnosticism, Islam still seems to retain a large following.

It seems to me that even the most intelligent and free thinking Muslims still hold onto their faith and won't hear any talk that contradicts it being the truth.

Do you think Atheism will ever become common in Muslim communities, or is it so culturally ingrained in Arab and South Asian identities that it would be extremely difficult for them to ever fully abandon Islam?

Yes, there are ex-muslim atheists. They tend to have a lot more to put up with from the muslim culture, which makes it more of a deal for them to come out. They are more likely to be found in western countries, where the ideas that challenge their faith are more openly discusses, but they certainly exist.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yes, there are ex-muslim atheists. They tend to have a lot more to put up with from the muslim culture, which makes it more of a deal for them to come out. They are more likely to be found in western countries, where the ideas that challenge their faith are more openly discusses, but they certainly exist.

Usually death, in some Muslim countries.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the 9/11 and 7/7 bombings Islam has been on the up and up with tens of thousands coverting to Islam.

Also many have become more devout: praying more than ever, studying the Koran more, shunning the western lifestyle, wearing the veil, men growing bushy beards and wearing the Arab gear and watching Arab TV. Etc.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, for many muslims their religion is partly an ethnic badge. Deny your religion, deny your community.
    However there are plenty of young muslims whose attitude to drink, sex etc is a far cry from the demands of their religion. Maybe they are ethnic muslims and not religious ones.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

It's already happening.

There was a World Service documentary about it the other week, explaining how some young British muslims cope.

edit: here - http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/heartsoul/heartsoul_20140111-0332a.mp3
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB: You know, you keep making these claims in posts but you aren't providing any evidence to back them up.

But to answer your question, yes, religious people can become agnostics or atheists. But so can atheists and agnostics become religious.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Trouble is, for many muslims their religion is partly an ethnic badge. Deny your religion, deny your community.
    However there are plenty of young muslims whose attitude to drink, sex etc is a far cry from the demands of their religion. Maybe they are ethnic muslims and not religious ones.
    It's all bloody confusing. Sounds like what an earlier poster said about Catholicism and Polishness in a recent religion thread.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the spanner in the works is, that many more have converted to other religions on that list instead of becoming atheist or agnostic. ;)
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

Yes, I agree. I know many muslims male and female who eat a bacon roll with me drink wine with me etc. But they put on a different version of themselves when they visit their parents. It's their perogative I don't judge them. I'm an atheist they don't judge me.
  • moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting question OP. I always think most muslims are really intelligent, which to me equates to realising belief in a God is a bit silly these days, if you read about evolution etc.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect a lot of them are just into Islam for the image and the lifestyle.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most prominent posters on the religion vs atheism threads on this site used to be a Muslim before becoming atheist. It's not like it doesn't happen. Not sure that she posts any more though.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No.
    Islam rules by fear.
    It is a Fascist political and religious system.
    They do kill people who leave it.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    But the spanner in the works is, that many more have converted to other religions on that list instead of becoming atheist or agnostic. ;)

Religion is about culture as much as faith, maybe even more than faith.

My brother is baptised, even though my dad has always been an Atheist and my mum has always been agnostic, it was just the 'done thing' in the 1970's and I wasn't baptised at all. I bet there are more 'secret' Atheists amongst religious communities than records let on

The fact that a nun can become pregnant shows that few people believe in their religion 100%, human nature and free will are very powerful and the threat of death and being abandoned by the family worry those Atheists / Agnostics who aren't open.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Islam is the only religion in the world in which people want to cut your head off if you leave.

It contrasts greatly with the vicar popping round to see if you're ok because he hasn't seen you at Sunday service.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    I believe Islam is the only religion in the world in which people want to cut your head off if you leave.

It contrasts greatly with the vicar popping round to see if you're ok because he hasn't seen you at Sunday service.

Erm, Queen Mary burned a few people alive for following the wrong version of Christianity and some of the troubles in Ireland have been religion based - including news footage of Irish school children ( crying ) caught in the middle of their numpty waring parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I know a coupla people who are Muslim, and whilst they pray/follow the rules, they don't wear the religious dress or enforce it on others, there's different types of Muslims, just like there's different Jews/Christianity. Some just follow the set rules and pray where as others are stricter believing.

Though, if they didn't believe, they'd be atheists instead of Muslims wouldn't they?
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Erm, Queen Mary burned a few people alive for following the wrong version of Christianity and some of the troubles in Ireland have been religion based - including news footage of Irish school children ( crying ) caught in the middle of their numpty waring parents.

What? Queen Mary? I take it you mean Queen Mary I who died in 1558? :confused:

As for Ireland. It is/was political all the way. The religion is/was just an aside. It's about politics.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it seems from the western european experience of christianity that once people are in a possition of informed truly personal choice that most 'believers' become religious in name only or stop believing altogether

the same will eventually happen to islam in the west if ,and its a big if, believers feel they free to choose for themselves

Unfortunately a constant input of the more retarded version of the belief, along with the stupidity that is liberal multiculturalism, will delay the inevitable.