What shall I do in Reading?

Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got to go to Reading for work - but will have a free evening and some free time during the day.

Would be great to have some ideas of what to do - I've already checked out the Reading visitor information site, but there's nothing like info from people who know a place. To give you an idea of my interests

I like - interesting walks (am particularly interested in going along the Kennet and Avon Canal if the weather is good - which direction is it best to set off in? And is there anywhere walkable I can aim for/have tea/walk back etc?

Museums - have seen there's the museum of rural life and then a general Reading Museum

Interesting pubs and cafes - I always like to try out non-chain places when I'm travelling, so any suggestions re pubs and cafes most welcome.

thank you!

Comments

• ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only places I remember from my visit there was the oracle shopping centre, mainly all the food places at the back along the canal/river?

One place to consider is Tampopo. It is a chain, but they only have 5 locations, so fairly small. It is an Asian restaurant similar in style to wagmama.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the train into London.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Take the train into London.

Or the cultural city of dreaming spires....20 min train ride
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Or the cultural city of dreaming spires....20 min train ride

That too. What is good about Reading is that it is one of the best place in the country for jobs and it is well connected for London, Oxford and some nice countryside nearby. What is bad about Reading is the town itself.
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I visit London loads, so would rather not go there - and I know Oxford reasonably well too.

If there are any other nice towns/villages not too far away and reachable by train, I'd be up for hearing about them.

Is Reading really that bad?
  • AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    If you like museums, the visit the Bayeux Tapestry at Reading Museum. It is a replica, but a lot fewer visitors than the original, so much easier to view it all.

http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/

As well as the canal, you can walk along the Thames path towards Sonning.
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Caversham to Henley is quite a nice walk. Or just a walk along the river.
    As for food, the Oracle has loads of chain restaurants but just outside the Oracle are 2 amazing resturants, Sweeny Todd for pies or sushi mania.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    Is Reading really that bad?

No, not really. People may have a go at Reading but there are many worse places to spend a few days. It's just that it's a little lacking in distinctive character and is too like many other provincial towns. Be grateful that you are going to Reading rather than Slough or Bracknell.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you fancy a cup of tea and a piece of cake, I can recommend 'Picnic'. It was recommended to us by a lady working in a museum and we weren't disappointed.

We were disappointed by the pies in Sweeny Todd's though, soggy pastry and very watery and tasteless gravy!
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The canal is nice, some decent pubs along it too if you have the time.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    If you fancy a cup of tea and a piece of cake, I can recommend 'Picnic'. It was recommended to us by a lady working in a museum and we weren't disappointed.

We were disappointed by the pies in Sweeny Todd's though, soggy pastry and very watery and tasteless gravy!

I would agree with this assessment of Sweeny Todds, that place is terrible, I have no idea why it has so many fans, other than the fact that it's cheap. I have been there once, I took the lid off my pie and found a ladybird floating inside!>:( My OH had a game pie (a brave choice I admit) and spent the next 24 hours throwing up:(. Really rude waitress as well. Don't go near the place is my advice.

Myalacarte in Caversham is great for dinner, really good locally sourced food done well. Kyrenia in Caversham does great Greek food and is worth a look.

Pau Brasil over near the hospital is definitely worth seeking out for lunch if you are on the right side of town.

Some good Indians, on the Wokingham Road (Garden of Gulab) and Oxford Road (Bhoj)

Thinking about it though, the best places in Reading tend not to be in the town centre which is overflowing with a wide variety of franchises and chains, fine if that's what you are after, but the real gems tend to be a bit further out.
  • MSHMSH Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I like - interesting walks (am particularly interested in going along the Kennet and Avon Canal if the weather is good - which direction is it best to set off in? And is there anywhere walkable I can aim for/have tea/walk back etc?

You could head from town centre east along the Thames (past Tescos then Microsoft campus etc) and on to Sonning / Wargrave / Henley.. at all you can find a good pub for food then stagger back..

Or if you follow the kenet from it's mouth (Tesco again) its an interesting walk, weaves its way through to the oracle shopping centre, then heads south towards the football stadium before turning west across the A33 and heads off past green pastures towards Burghfield, stop here at the cunning man for a quick one, then head on further towards Theale - pubs here for a drink or meal too.. you could head further west, but Theale does have handy trainline straight back into Reading..
    Museums - have seen there's the museum of rural life and then a general Reading Museum

The town centre museum is OK, worth visiting if you are trying to kill time but not interesting enough to warrant a visit intentionally.. not been to the rural life one (which is part of the university, next to royal berks hospital)
    Interesting pubs and cafes - I always like to try out non-chain places when I'm travelling, so any suggestions re pubs and cafes most welcome.

thank you!
    I like sweeny todds! - always had good food there..
    check out this blog for suggestions: http://ediblereading.com/
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I've got to go to Reading for work - but will have a free evening and some free time during the day.

Where in Reading will you be working? Reading is quite diverse with offices ranging from out of town to in town.

The most noted office building in Reading is "The Blade" which allegedly refers to the knife culture in the town...
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windsor is a shortish train trip away.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading really isn't a touristy place - there's plenty to do in the Oracle shopping centre in terms of shopping (obviously), eating and the large cinema but I wouldn't worry too much about museums or local places of interest. If you have time then there is a nice walk along the Thames from Reading Bridge to Caversham, but I would make sure you have the daylight to get there and back. And it's really no different to walking along a nice river in any other town.

I personally like Sweeney Todds but it's nothing special. Reading town centre is a bit lacking in non-chain pubs/restaurants with character in my opinion - if you like real ale you can walk up to the nags head on Russel street, but if you're from the north I wouldn't bother as our ale is awful compared to yours.

You can always check if there's anything of interest on at the local theatre (the Hexagon). It's most likely going to be a tribute band or juke box musical but it's a fun place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re location - I'll be at the University, so pretty central

Thanks everyone for their input - v useful!
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Pop up to Henley. Have a drink at The Angel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have checked out Henley and it looks v promising!

Windsor sounds good too, but I've been before and is good to try out new places, I think?
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have checked out Henley and it looks v promising!

Windsor sounds good too, but I've been before and is good to try out new places, I think?

Just keep an eye on train/bus times if you're reliant on public transport - some of them don't run very often. I wouldn't fancy walking up to the university after dark. If you're driving then be aware that the traffic around Reading is pretty bad and it could easily take you over an hour to get to somewhere like Henley.
  • VastGirthVastGirth Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I haven't been for a while, but when we go out in reading we normally go to the Oakham Social Club near the station. It's is a nice and interesting pub. Real ale, decent food and often with live music too.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading it quite a nice place. The oracle centre and high street have a lot of shops certainly enough to keep you busy for a while. Also at night the oracle centre has a lot of bars and even a cinema if you want to catch a film. It also has a number of other decent pubs and places to get food around the town. due to the university you tend to find quite a few people out in the evening.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    There's a nice pub on the river either at Shiplake or Wargrave.
    Can't quite remember, as I last went there in the late 1980s, but I do recall it was very pleasant, sitting outside overlooking the river.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one of the few towns in the country where you can watch premiership rugby and premiership football (well, you could last season).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    How about the uk wolf conservation trust? My favorite place in the reading area!

Henley is good for food, newburys not a bad little town either.