All 5 Garth Brooks concerts cancelled

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/garth-brooks-all-five-concerts-at-croke-park-cancelled-aiken-promotions-confirm-30415549.html

Pathetic.

Ireland has not come across well in the farce of how this was organised and how the dispute has been handled.

I feel sorry for people who bought tickets or had tickets bought for them as a gift.

Comments

• Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good. Who the heck does Garth Brooks think he is delivering ultimatums to a democratically elected City Council on what they grant planning permission for? I'm glad he wasn't caved in to, and its Garth Brooks who doesn't come out of this well, and Garth Brooks who is to blame for the disappointment caused to all the people who bought tickets for the three concerts which were allowed.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ireland diidnt cause the fiasco . The tickets should not have been sold by the promoter until the licence was checked an cleared to go ahead
    And Garth Brooks could easily have still dond three . He was willing to do three before the extra nights were added in
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Touring doesn't make much money for peformers; in fact, most tours run at a loss and the money used to be made form parallel album sales.

The five Garth Brooks' gigs needed to take place to cover all costs and turn a profit - three didn't do it. In business terms he was going to be out of pocket if he'd played just three dates.

What there IS going to be is ....hell to pay in the immediate area of Croke Park. A lot of the locals' kids depend on working at gigs and matches there for their income - and now a small minority has cocked up their big summer earner. Apparently there's a local anti-protest group has been formed with over 500 local residents in it who were campaigning for all five gigs to go ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were only three concerts scheduled to begin with, the other two dates were only added after the first three sold out. So if it was never worth his while to do only three, why did he originally only agree to do three?

Anyway, there's a legally binding agreement between the GAA, Dublin City Council and the local residents to limit concerts in Croke Park to three per year. So I don't see how locals are going to be out of pocket by the agreement being stuck to this year, when its already been honoured every other year.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/garth-brooks-all-five-concerts-at-croke-park-cancelled-aiken-promotions-confirm-30415549.html

Pathetic.

Ireland has not come across well in the farce of how this was organised and how the dispute has been handled.

I feel sorry for people who bought tickets or had tickets bought for them as a gift.

This has nothing to do with Ireland. The tickets promoter sold 5 dates without a venue licence for all 5. The council only allow 3 gigs a year in croke park and were willing to break that rule for garth for 3 nights. He threw a strop when he didn't get his own way. Greedy little plonker. It's not Ireland coming across badly at all.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I just can't believe he sold out five nights in the first place. He's dreadful, like a comedy pastiche of a country singer.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Good. Who the heck does Garth Brooks think he is delivering ultimatums to a democratically elected City Council on what they grant planning permission for? I'm glad he wasn't caved in to, and its Garth Brooks who doesn't come out of this well, and Garth Brooks who is to blame for the disappointment caused to all the people who bought tickets for the three concerts which were allowed.

he has turned into a right arse over the years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    he has turned into a right arse over the years

He always seemed like an arse to me. He can **** off now and buy some other country's planning laws.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    He has a huge following in Ireland, they absolutely love him over there. They seem to love all country music.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pathetic.

The claims of how awful Ireland will look from this mess are really making me laugh. Yes its a mess and its a damn big fiasco that could've been avoided, but surely we're going to come away looking better as a country who put the people's rights before money, rather than a country whose legislation doesn't mean a thing when there's a bit of cash to be earned. Yes were desperate but in terms of global reputation, I'm glad were not that desperate.

I'm not far from Croke Park and I know more people who wanted all 5 to go ahead than anything else. But i also know the lack of respect the GAA has had for the residents over the years, i know the amount of elderly tenants in the area, and I know the amount of disruption it causes them every time there is a concert. It was greedy and disrespectful for them to put 5 dates up and I feel terrible for the people who lost out but nearly everyone was happy with 3 except Garth himself. They should not have pushed it to 5 in the first place. Really just none of this should have happened in the first place.

Maybe it wasnt commercially viable to do 3 but Garth made himself look a prat with the little ultimatum. The GAA and Aiken Promotions are to blame here. And its just so petulant to blame the residents for wanting the GAA to stick to an agreement that they themselves proposed, of 3 concerts a year. Shouldn't have got greedy..
    Forum Member
    This has nothing to do with Ireland. The tickets promoter sold 5 dates without a venue licence for all 5. The council only allow 3 gigs a year in croke park and were willing to break that rule for garth for 3 nights. He threw a strop when he didn't get his own way. Greedy little plonker. It's not Ireland coming across badly at all.

The news guy on Radio 2 the other day said that only 3 gigs were allowed at Croke Park PER YEAR and those 3, plus a few more, have already happened. When they announced that there were going to be 5 nights for Garth, some of the locals decided that the Corporation/Council where pushing their luck so they objected and the Corporation decided to cancel 2 of the nights to appease the locals. Garth then decided to object against that (for the sake of his fans of course) so he gave the ultimatum that it was 5 nights or nothing.

It all seems to have backfired on everyone now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    The news guy on Radio 2 the other day said that only 3 gigs were allowed at Croke Park PER YEAR and those 3, plus a few more, have already happened. When they announced that there were going to be 5 nights for Garth, some of the locals decided that the Corporation/Council where pushing their luck so they objected and the Corporation decided to cancel 2 of the nights to appease the locals. Garth then decided to object against that (for the sake of his fans of course) so he gave the ultimatum that it was 5 nights or nothing.

It all seems to have backfired on everyone now though.

The news guy on radio 2 got it wrong then. The "corporation" - by which I assume you mean Dublin City Council - didn't cancel anything. They never gave permission for the extra two gigs in the first place, but the promoter went ahead and sold tickets without permission and then Garth Brooks spat his dummy and insisted on the extra two gigs or nothing.

The City Council is in the right here and the greedy promoter and spoilt arse Brooks are in the wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    The news guy on radio 2 got it wrong then. The "corporation" - by which I assume you mean Dublin City Council - didn't cancel anything. They never gave permission for the extra two gigs in the first place, but the promoter went ahead and sold tickets without permission and then Garth Brooks spat his dummy and insisted on the extra two gigs or nothing.

The City Council is in the right here and the greedy promoter and spoilt arse Brooks are in the wrong.

Exactly this. The promoter aiken is completely to blame for selling without a venue licence anyway. He was so arrogant to assume they'd get it. Also garth brooks trying to manipulate things was ridiculous. Greedy sod
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has a huge following in Ireland, they absolutely love him over there. They seem to love all country music.

They ? I dont .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Wow generalise much.
    Forum Member
    Wow generalise much.

Apologies for much generalising. It's obviously only my family that love him over there, they must have been the ones who bought all the tickets then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies for much generalising. It's obviously only my family that love him over there, they must have been the ones who bought all the tickets then.

He's got a large following over here, much to my bewilderment. Can you understand that having a large following in Ireland doesn't mean all of us are fans?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A huge amount of tickets were bought outside of Ireland . Which is a major loss for all those who booked flights.

You do know the populationof Ireland is close to 5 million ?
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister was going to it whom isn't a fan, i didn't understand the whole hysteria of it.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes with people aged 40 and over
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister was going to it whom isn't a fan, i didn't understand the whole hysteria of it.

And I dont understand the One Direction hysteria but there you go , people differ and I never begrudge people having a good night out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Touring doesn't make much money for peformers; in fact, most tours run at a loss and the money used to be made form parallel album sales.

First time I have ever heard that. Everyone always says the opposite...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes with people aged 40 and over

I am over 40 and cant stand him .
  • exploexplo Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a wake up call for promoters. Most outdoor concerts tend to be advertised as "subject to licence" with the tickets already on sale.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I have ever heard that. Everyone always says the opposite...

It can just about be done with a long series of individual dates if they're located close enough together to save on shipping/transport costs, or if the tour is long enough to negotiate better hire rates for haulage...or if a band is prepared to spend SO long on the road that the tour breaks even through sheer bums-on-seats, like some of those up to 2-year long tours of the U.S. in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Brooks' gigs were going to cost SO much on freight terms across the Irish Sea, accomodation etc. that it was going to be particularly hard to approach break-even without the 4th and 5th date :(