Options

Dyspraxia in workplace issue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
Forum Member
Hi

I underwent a machinery test at my place of work very recently. The independent (to my employer) examiner was very impatient and rude to me. I watched & listened to him thoroughly but for the forthcoming reason I couldn't grasp the concept of said exam.

He then threatened to not pass me having only ever failed one person before apparently) then of course my bottle went and just started breaking down as discretely as possible. He then twigged I had dyspraxia, I admitted it. He asked why I hadn't mentioned it to nobody, so I said because I'd most likely never progress at my workplace if I had. I've not even told my long term girlfriend I have this coordination issue.

Then he more or less took it easy on me in the theory test and passed me.

I almost wished he didn't because now I've got to plod along and struggle. Im assuming he passed me purely so it didn't look bad that he made me cry as such in front of my mate.

So what do I do??

For my self-esteem, job I need to have the pass certificate but on the other hand I don't want to be struggling.

The minute work find out what happened or I tell them I'm going to get the sympathy card and then never receive the same respect or responsibilities as before.

Feel really depressed now.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Comments

• Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    You poor thing. That sounds awful.

I can sympathise to a certain extent as I have dyslexia and am a teacher.

All through my school life it wasn't recognised. I was just 'lazy and stupid'. But I struggled on and got to uni. I was lucky I was at a great uni who recognised my difficulties straight away and helped me no end. Although they did advise me never to tell employers about it.

20 years on (😱!) everyone I work with knows about it. I had built it up as a big thing until one day a rather ignorant woman (thankfully not a member of teaching staff) said, "what was the point of teaching children with special needs anything, as they are all thick and wouldn't amount to anything." As you can imagine, I went ever so slightly mad, in the process outing myself!!!

It was the best thing that could've happened as, rather than being rediculed, people admired me for achieving all that I have.

Along the way I may occasionally have to ask for an extra day or two to check through my reports, mark exams etc, but I get the job done and bloody well too!

People finding out helped more than I could've imagined. I've been scrutinised more by some who are sure I'm going to fail, but I've also been supported by most, who recognise I can do the job just as well, if not better than many.

I now work with special needs children everyday. Who is best placed to understand their struggles? A past straight A* student or someone who had the same struggles?

If I were you I'd be honest and upfront. Unless you work for a backward thinking company, I am sure you'll be met with respect and support. I certainly was.

Good luck x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    With all due respect, should you be working with machinery? You could be a danger to yourself and your workmates. As an employer I would be seriously annoyed that you kept your condition a secret, if I then found out I would consider it to be gross-misconduct.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    With all due respect, should you be working with machinery? You could be a danger to yourself and your workmates. As an employer I would be seriously annoyed that you kept your condition a secret, if I then found out I would consider it to be gross-misconduct.
    That was my concern too.

If there was an accident, caused by something you, the OP, did, or didn't do, as a result of your dyspraxia - who would be liable?
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    That was my concern too.

If there was an accident, caused by something you, the OP, did, or didn't do, as a result of your dyspraxia - who would be liable?

Exactly, don't put your pride in front of your health. Either voice your concerns and ask for more support or leave it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be happy working with machines with my hands. They are all over the place. They slip about, they don't grip very well.

I would be thinking about doing something I could do well and put my efforts into doing that.