Options

Daily Mail - most condescending roll of toilet paper

KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This I find amusing;

Daily Mail is quick to report on the "criminal" activities of Russell Brand, Jonathan Ross, Carol Thatcher - the parents of the children who starred in a Channel 4 series...

Yet they gave away a free DVD this Saturday of The Dam Busters. This is a movie in which someone's pet dog, who happens to be black - is named "N****r". It has been dubbed as "trigger" in newer versions, but the Mail still gave away the uncut edition with the ethnic slur. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgePEO7GUtE

Dam Busters is down 7% in popularity this week. Wonder why? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046889/

I couldn't care less about whether Ross, Brand or Thatcher get taken off TV because I personally can't stand either of them - but I found the outright hypocrisy from the Mail something you just couldn't make up.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it an ethnic slur at the time? Was his dog called that irl?
    Your reaction is just as kneejerk as the DM!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the DM yesterday. The paper the Tv mag and the DVD were all very good.

And all for 80p.

Janet St Porter was talking about the dangers of social networking sites like Facebook.

I can't understand the animosity on here towards this paper.

I would think the DVD would boost this Saturdays's sales, it's a great movie.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't judge things in the past with the eyes of today's sensibilities.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    ... Dam Busters is down 7% in popularity this week. Wonder why?

Possibly because it is being given away with a newspaper rather than people having to buy it?

I bought the DVD and would be offended if it had been the edited version.

We all know what the dog was called in the 1955 film.

The name also became the call-sign for a successful breach of the dam.

And if anyone were to dare berate me for watching the un-edited version I would call him a Damn Bustered.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »

Yes, it was just more socially acceptable to be rude to non whites at the time though. Anyway I think this subject has been done to death. :)
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I bought the DVD and would be offended if it had been the edited version.
    Oh for heaven's sake! Offended? I might be a little disappointed that it wasn't the version I was expecting. I might be a bit upset that someone had decided to edit something I didn't think needed editing. But offended? Is there anything that people wont complain about causing them 'offence'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Oh for heaven's sake! Offended? I might be a little disappointed that it wasn't the version I was expecting. I might be a bit upset that someone had decided to edit something I didn't think needed editing. But offended? Is there anything that people wont complain about causing them 'offence'?

Any editing of a work of art is a crime against humanity and an insult to the creators of the piece. It's the same with editing out people smoking.

Even the brutal editing to Beverly Hilsl Cop to allow it to be shown in the afternoon recently on ITV was awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But offended? Is there anything that people wont complain about causing them 'offence'?

Yes, because it would have be censored. People are chosing what I am able to hear or see.

I'm over 18 and I will chose what I hear and see for myself.

Isn't there a saying that goes something like

"History is re-written by the victors"

Well the self appointed censors haven't won yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree leave movies as they were originally intended to be shown.

Watch The Dambusters if you can it's a good film.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about 'Gone With The Wind' which is freely available - surely it has loads of un-PC stuff in it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    Any editing of a work of art is a crime against humanity
    No, rounding up people in a field and shooting them is a crime against humanity. Bowdlerising a film is a little lower down the scale.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was the person not actually saying the opposite of what you suggest they said?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, because it would have be censored.
    I'd reply, but I fear I might offend you...
    People are chosing what I am able to hear or see.
    I thought the point of the thread was that it wasn't edited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Was the person not actually saying the opposite of what you suggest they said?:confused:
    I'm almost certain they said they were offended, and they seemed to confirm that in their later post.
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    What about 'Gone With The Wind' which is freely available - surely it has loads of un-PC stuff in it?

The difference (albeit I agree with you) is that Gone with the Wind is based on a fictional novel.

The Dambusters film, was based on real-life.

53 crew members lost their life on that one raid............yet we have folks complaining about a dog's name.

No wonder Jesus Wept!

Binnman
  • Options
    SofaSlobSofaSlob Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's the content of the film that has wound up the OP so much as the timing of when they had given it away. And I can understand that as it's not like it is an anniversary even a minor one to do with the events depicted.

All in all just another case of The Daily Mail leading their more sheep like readers down the garden path again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd reply, but I fear I might offend you...

I thought the point of the thread was that it wasn't edited.

The OP pointed out the hypocrisy of the paper for giving away the un-edited version, which may offend some people, whilst being quick to condemn others who offend.

Then you chose to take me to task because I don't like people deciding what I can and cannot see in a DVD that I go and buy. Beyond normal censorship that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, rounding up people in a field and shooting them is a crime against humanity. Bowdlerising a film is a little lower down the scale.

Ok maybe a little over the top. But i still think it's vital that people do not mess with others creations in any way.

It's the thin end of the wedge, leading to burning books.
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SofaSlob wrote: »
    I don't think it's the content of the film that has wound up the OP so much as the timing of when they had given it away. And I can understand that as it's not like it is an anniversary even a minor one to do with the events depicted.

All in all just another case of The Daily Mail leading their more sheep like readers down the garden path again.

Perhaps we should be asking the OP why he was purchasing such a "condescending roll of toilet paper" in the first place.

After all, how else did he know that the DVD was the unedited version.

Or is he perhaps a bandwagon jumping sheep, just like the readers of the Mail are so often labeled?

btw: The DVD is part of a series of classic movies being offered by the Mail, not just a one off.

Binnman
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »

At the time, no. I see no reason why the original should be dubbed out. It shows people what lousy attitudes they had about racial issues back then.
  • Options
    Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    It's not as if he named the dog for the purpose of a racial slur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then you chose to take me to task because I don't like people deciding what I can and cannot see in a DVD that I go and buy. Beyond normal censorship that is.
    Well, I really took you to task over your faux-offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

I believe that faux-offence is what some people seem to show on behalf of others.

e.g "How dare they call him a G...g"

Offence is something that affects you personally.

e.g "You are a G..g"