Atlantic FM sold to Global

1161718192022»

Comments

• Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really think Global will bother to change anything regarding this? I doubt it..the only thing I expect this may hasten the move to a networked double headed Drivetime show.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A networked drive show might increase speech levels, but won't help with the "amount of Cornwall-specific material" and "locally-focused speech content". Maybe a local breakfast show and extended 2-7pm drivetime show like Heart Cymru could be the way forward.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A networked drive show might increase speech levels, but won't help with the "amount of Cornwall-specific material" and "locally-focused speech content". Maybe a local breakfast show and extended 2-7pm drivetime show like Heart Cymru could be the way forward.

or make Cornwall the second network hub for Heart and the Ex-Real Radio stations?
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats probably the best way of doing it, Local breakfast or split links to help with the Cornish content and a extra hour of drive to push up the speech %. They could also do a networked double act on drive like London to help push up the speech but would require split links to help with cornish content. Add in a couple of extra split links from Toby and Nick for cornish content and jobs a gooden.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I've just tuned around and hit 96.3 the former Coast 96.3 North Wales Coast station to find the welsh language music show Cwl Cymru that I'd forgotten about it, who can possibly be benefitting from it at this time, it must be purely on to satisfy licence obligations, but it's hardly in the spirit of serving the local culture,k it needs to be on at a decent time. Global arrogance has presumably led them to treat Cornwall in a similar way so I'm glad to see them getting the rap for it, but they need to put something on that actually does deliver what it's supposed to be delivering, and that probably can be nothing less than another local show, they could even have a local phone-in to satisfy the format requirement, why not it works for Vine on Radio 2 mixed in with big pop hits, so perhaps it could work on Heart Cornwall in the afternoon.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just tuned around and hit 96.3 the former Coast 96.3 North Wales Coast station to find the welsh language music show Cwl Cymru that I'd forgotten about it, who can possibly be benefitting from it at this time, it must be purely on to satisfy licence obligations, but it's hardly in the spirit of serving the local culture,k it needs to be on at a decent time. Global arrogance has presumably led them to treat Cornwall in a similar way so I'm glad to see them getting the rap for it, but they need to put something on that actually does deliver what it's supposed to be delivering, and that probably can be nothing less than another local show, they could even have a local phone-in to satisfy the format requirement, why not it works for Vine on Radio 2 mixed in with big pop hits, so perhaps it could work on Heart Cornwall in the afternoon.

I don't think they are going to hire another presenter. Extending the drive time so that it's similar to Heart Gwynedd (2-7pm) would probably satisfy the conditions, as callers and chat would increase the speech quota between 10-4. I think Ofcom will allow them Toby Anstis and a More Music Lunch. They seem to be happy with the breakfast show.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there could be a few things they could potentially do within the daytime networking which would up the speech percentage (slightly) which I don't think would take too much away from the music-led proposition – for example a hour of requests at lunchtime with plenty of callers, more callers on the Time Tunnel, School Run mentions after 3, a hourly travel bulletin attached to a break (Gold do this I think) and of course competitions – I would expect “Who’s on Heart” adds an extra % each day at the moment.

(Although I could understand why they wouldn't do that)
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    I don't think they are going to hire another presenter. Extending the drive time so that it's similar to Heart Gwynedd (2-7pm) would probably satisfy the conditions, as callers and chat would increase the speech quota between 10-4. I think Ofcom will allow them Toby Anstis and a More Music Lunch. They seem to be happy with the breakfast show.

Agreed, Get drive to have more cornish content, add in a couple of split links that have cornish content from Nick and Toby and job is done.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    This is really sloppy from Global, they must have known that they would be under the spotlight on this one.

It was one of the conditions that Heart comply with the enhanced speech requirement to provide a better local service in Cornwall and to distinguish it from rival Pirate FM. I guess they were trying it on and now they've been caught out.

Ofcom have effectively said that they'll now be monitoring the situation and further regulatory action may be taken if there's continued non-compliance. Personally, I think Global would be pretty stupid to try to take on Ofcom over this issue and, as South City suggested above, a locally-produced afternoon show might be a solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was one of the conditions that Heart comply with the enhanced speech requirement to provide a better local service in Cornwall and to distinguish it from rival Pirate FM. I guess they were trying it on and now they've been caught out.

Ofcom have effectively said that they'll now be monitoring the situation and further regulatory action may be taken if there's continued non-compliance. Personally, I think Global would be pretty stupid to try to take on Ofcom over this issue and, as South City suggested above, a locally-produced afternoon show might be a solution.

They might move James Bassam to cornwall for a local show?
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Global shouldn't have been surprised about Ofcom's decision. A quasi national network providing pseudo local stations is always going to attract the attention of the regulator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might move James Bassam to cornwall for a local show?

Why would they do that? They already have a presenter in place for that show.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,402
    Forum Member
    Global shouldn't have been surprised about Ofcom's decision. A quasi national network providing pseudo local stations is always going to attract the attention of the regulator.

They probably weren't suprised at all but may have been suprised how long it took to be rumbled. I suspect a rival complained.

I once worked for a station that had been in breech ofit's licence for years. It was only when a new pd took over and bothered to read the licence that things
    changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Why would they do that? They already have a presenter in place for that show.

A local weekend show? Remember that Cymu opts for 8 hours of localness on Saturday and I think Sunday too to fill the welsh requirements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A local weekend show? Remember that Cymu opts for 8 hours of localness on Saturday and I think Sunday too to fill the welsh requirements.

Why James Bassam though? Seems rather random suggestion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Why James Bassam though? Seems rather random suggestion.

Because he's probably the next one to go to Heart?