Shipwrecked is Back!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I agree with Tristan's comments against Karl not getting involved in any of the preparation but I don't see why participating in or viewing the killing itself would be necessary. Anna's comments, comparing it to how you have to go through childbirth if you want to be able to have a child were ludicrous. She pretty much ended up contradicting herself. Anybody can make ridiculous comparisons that are in no way relevant.

I like Tristan. I find it refreshing when someone is willing to play the game. This whole hills vs slums makes it quite entertaining. Personally, one of the reasons I watch reality TV in the 1st place is for the conflict. I can't think of anything worse than watching one where everybody gets along. However the problem with this series of shipwrecked is the lack of likeable people on the show. As I mentioned Tristan is entertaining, although hardly an endearing character. Aside from him, the hills lot are the kind of people you need on reality TV, those that people love to hate. Bear has his moments and amuses me but is dragged down by Anna. But the issue is that the slums people aren't at all likeable either. I think that they are all a bunch wet blankets, walking around whinging about this and that. Hopefully they will just man up and make a proper stand against the hills over the last few weeks. That would be more entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    And I would also be interested in j-la's question about interaction with the crew Tristan? A friend of mine spoke to a 2008 contestant, who they knew from school, and she mentioned that she actually had an ongoing relationship during her time on the island with one of the cast members. Obviously I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate but if it is, I would find it surprising that they allow this level of interaction.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also keep in mind that I am a professional fighter who trains at one of the UKs top gyms. Alot of people in my game watch the show simply because I am on it, and dressing up as a woman and pretending to be a 'Showgirl' wouldn't have done much for my reputation/earning ability in the sport

So if I wore a boyfriends or male friends' jacket, hoodie, t-shirt or anything that would make me butch? No, it wouldn't and that's why I can't stand that why I don't like that point of view.

And isn't it considered as 'banter' with the lads and just having a laugh?

I have no issue with killing a pig for meat, I just couldn't kill it or watch it being killed. And your fellow chums 'the hills' weren't a bunch of theiving idiots, maybe they'd have been plenty of rations! Why they think They're above everyone else, I don't know!

Tristan, I've quite enjoyed watching you, your game playing and you staying on the fence, but you do seem to have sided with 'the hills' and it makes you look like you think you're above everyone else like the rest of them think. I would've preferred it if you kept your on the fence position or 'slummed' it more with the 'slums'. Yours and Kate's game playing is the only thing that's kept me mildly amused and kept me watching. I just hope you don't ruin it for yourself by siding with the hills group.
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i was a big tristan fan but hes assosication with the hills clan has made me want carl to win in it

the hills gang and just so dumb,it makes me cringe

"if you wanna eat something you should be able to kill it" WHAT?????????

noone stands up to them its so annoying,if only joe had stayed strong,this rigged voting could be stopped

i hope channel 4 cheat and allow one of the slums to win lol,i really dislike the hills! especially anna

I'm Team Slums too! :D

Joe was strong, he just couldn't be bothered with island politics and having to obey and follow princess Anna. I think ultimately he showed he was the bigger and better person by just walking away from. I would've liked him to have stayed though.

Team Slums to win!
    fenki123 wrote: »
    And I would also be interested in j-la's question about interaction with the crew Tristan? A friend of mine spoke to a 2008 contestant, who they knew from school, and she mentioned that she actually had an ongoing relationship during her time on the island with one of the cast members. Obviously I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate but if it is, I would find it surprising that they allow this level of interaction.

I actually think behind the scenes would probably be more interesting than what they are showing now :D They must have quite a fun time with the crew and some of the locals.
  • sharronwillowsharronwillow Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, judging by what I've read on Twitter it's going to kick off in next week's episode yayyyy ... gotta love the conflict :) (Note that conflict does not equate bullying though!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Understandable. The reason so many of us WANTED to do it was because unlike you we don't have the chance to go to a farm and kill animals as you have done.

For us Shipwrecked was our first and probably our last chance to slaughter an animal we were going to eat, hence why we wanted to be as involved as possible.

OK Tristan I could see your point until then - I find it very odd to "want" to have the chance to slaughter an animal - you said previously that it had to die - I get that but this post makes you seem odd (in a criminal minds profile serial killer way :D - that's obviously said tongue in cheek btw!) but I do find it odd that anyone would want to slaughter an animal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Pouxin - Most of your points are valid, hence why I said I wasn't going to comment on what Bear and Brimes said. I'm curious as to whether or not you think I am homophobic though for telling kitting he needs to understand that not all the islanders want to hear about his sexual encounters.

Just realised I never responded to this. No, I didn't think you came across as homophobic in the same way as Bear and Brimes.

It was clear that everyone seemed to have issues with homosexuality (except Joe and Kitten) in a way that would probably concern me if they were my friends, but it was only the atttitudes of Bear and Brimes I thought were offensive. I do think people can be a little over-sensitive about these things - to say 'I don't like X' - whatever it is you don't like: men, women, white people, black people, homosexual people - isn't an overt act of rac/sexism or homophobia, it's your OPINION (although a lot of people would find it pretty contraversial and would argue that it is ignorant!), and we are all entitled to have (and voice) an opinion, in my opinion (ha). What Bear and Brimes said went beyond merely stating their opnions and in to saying things which were actively offensive and unacceptable.

All a bit old hat now, except that for me it sums up the nasty, insidious air on the island. As many have pointed out, the problem here is the joy a lot of people, particularly Anna, seem to take in being nasty. She has such glee on her face every time she hurts or upsets someone. It was the same with the pig. I've killed animals before too (also grew up on a farm) but a) I never particualrly enjoyed it (although I can see as a new experience it might be exciting for some) and b) not pets! (which the pigs had become for some). But Anna went totally overboard with her enthusiasm for the task, which, coupled with the malicious delight she seems to take from hurting others, her total lack of emotional response when people say things to her that other people would find upsetting (e.g. when Kitten called her on her s*it, which everyone else seemed to find a tiny bit unsettling excpet her) and her unrelenting narcissism, makes her look borderline sociopathic. There is only so much bad editing can be blamed for this.

With the bullying and the pig killing it's all getting too Lord of the Flies for words. I think Ralph, sorry, Joe, was lucky to get off the island while he still could. A STICK SHARPENED AT BOTH ENDS! Nevertheless, I still find it pretty compelling viewing, even if I miss the heady days of Stevie, Will, Lianne et al. when everyone was NICE(ish) to each other and it was brilliant TV.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Best thing about Bear is that he is a pillock but doesn't pretend to be anything else unlike Tristan Tate who is an even bigger pillock but claims to be some kind of ace competitor.. Watching a grown man in a desperate search for validation and reassurance is amusing for a few weeks but wears a bit thin over the course of a series.

Judging from this series they should have renamed it "Pubertywrecked". Incidentally, I wonder if there is a Chemist on the island since there seems to be a healthy supply of false eye lashes and make up available for the Prom Queen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just watched latest episode and IMO, Anna class 1 biatch, Tristan well he does protest too much about anything Gay and he is so far up his own ar$e you could miss him, professional fighter or knob?, Killing a pig is nothing to be proud of, get over yourself
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    Best thing about Bear is that he is a pillock but doesn't pretend to be anything else unlike Tristan Tate who is an even bigger pillock but claims to be some kind of ace competitor.. Watching a grown man in a desperate search for validation and reassurance is amusing for a few weeks but wears a bit thin over the course of a series.

Judging from this series they should have renamed it "Pubertywrecked". Incidentally, I wonder if there is a Chemist on the island since there seems to be a healthy supply of false eye lashes and make up available for the Prom Queen.

Not to mention the amount of condoms they have to distribute from the coupling going on....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Okay a few questions to address here.

First off the personal comments and views on my character I'll dismiss without retaliation. I knew when agreeing to do this show there would be some people who like me and a lot that would hate me. As long as I make the show more interesting to watch I am happy either way.

To answer J-la's first question. In short no. I never found it difficult being ruthless at all. Keep in mind that 30,000 people apply for this show, so if they are going to pick an egotistical prick who is ONLY after his own interests (winning) they are going to pick the most ruthless one. That is my guess anyway, but I was cast specifically because I wasn't going to feel remorse and start hugging everybody.

WHY did I side with the hills? ... A questions that seems to be cropping up a lot. The answer is simple, because I was only out for myself. Siding with the hills gave me the majority I needed to keep getting votes into that group so we could share all the red beads between us. My thinking was... When it comes down to the crunch in a tie scenario... Anna and bear back eachother. Dom and Brimes back eachother. Salema would back me... and nobody in the slums would be in contention because all the beads would be with us. I did get along VERY well with Carl and Ash, Kate as well to be fair. So my thinking and siding with the hills was purely for selfish reasons in the aim to win the game. As well as this (despite your opinions on the hills gang) I did get along with everybody in the group. I also got along with everybody in the Slums bar Kitten (left) Joe (left) and Danni who annoyed the hell out of me.

My 'Romance' with Salema ill quickly say that when she first arrived on the island I found it very refreshing to have somebody with a brain to speak to. I know a few of you assume I'm thick but I was always a straight A* student so Salema offered fresh conversation that was about something other than Celeb gossip and what foods people miss from home. I took a liking to her immediately. However I was on the island to chase red beads, not women. Me and her did have a friendship and still do, but I did use the fact that we were close to influence her vote week after week. Ruthless as always.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask. Thats why I post here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I find your honest opinions refreshing tristain thanks!
  • stuey43stuey43 Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Lilkt wrote: »
    I find your honest opinions refreshing tristain thanks!

i am very happy that you feel that he is being honest and open, but thankfully, the guy is nothing but a coward,
    would do anything to get on in life, never mind being on an isolated island for months,, tristan has took the easy way out, went with the pack,i was in the army, done my time, and stuck up for the underdog always, as tristan said its about me, yeah been on a tv programme. yeah you can be selfish and nobody else matters, but truthfully m8, your attitude stinks, life is about being there for peeps, and i know we cant get on with everyone, but a little repect cost nothing m8, ive been to lockerbie in the army, and seen several other unpleasant things, but i have always kept my dignity, no matter how popular or unpopular i have been., as long as you stick to your own principles in life, you will get buy, but your pathetic excuse to kid on you like someone even though you dont, just to get bye, anna, bear, brimes, etc, nah m8, it just dosent stick with me, reality show or not, your true self should always come through. it usually brings you dividends in the end, good luck take care., im sure we will see you on tv soon.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Tristan went with the pack at all - the pack went with him. Indeed Tristan when you first built your hut on the beach front were you happy that others followed?

Also how much freedom was there for you on the island - could you pretty much explore it as you wished or were you restricted to certain areas. How big roughly was it too - and how for were "The Hills" from "The Slums".
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I don't think Tristan went with the pack at all - the pack went with him. Indeed Tristan when you first built your hut on the beach front were you happy that others followed?

Also how much freedom was there for you on the island - could you pretty much explore it as you wished or were you restricted to certain areas. How big roughly was it too - and how for were "The Hills" from "The Slums".

We could roam freely as long as we didn't disappear for too long without taking a camera guy with us (incase something interesting happened). It was a 2 minute walk from one side of the island to the other. The island is called Moturakau and its in the Aitutaki Lagoon. Feel free to look it up for more information.

stuey43: All I can say is your comment about "Anything to get on in life" is wrong. Since the show I have tried to keep my life the same as it was before (as much as possible anyway). I make a good living running my company, watch episode 1 for reference and all of this has come to me solely because of my attitude and respect for hard work which is why I dismiss any comments which say I 'Need' a change in attitude. I wouldn't change it for the world. You won't be seeing me on TV again.

As for 'Sticking up' to the hills I sided with the hills for voting power. As seen in the second to last episode shown I stabbed Bear and Dom in the back in the hope it would save my bead, so I really wasn't on anybodies side. I was on 'Team Tristan' Joe sympathisers will happily paint me as a villain though.

The truth of the matter in it all was that Joe is a nob. You don't know him. I do. I lived with him for months. Bear is painted as chauvinistic? He has nothing on Joe. Joe thinks it would be a great idea to HANG Blair/Thatcher/Most of our previous PMs and burn down the house of commons (his words).

The man is a moron. I understand that NONE of you will see that, simply because you CAN'T see it. His part in the show was constructed around him being Annas victim (despite the fact that he wasn't) and only SMALL elements of the man I met and lived with were shown in episode 1 and 2 only.

But you weren't there. Make up your own minds.

Tristan
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tristan,

Have you spoken to Anna since the show? Is she regretting going on, given she's now utterly despised on Twitter (and the biggest "villain" that Shipwreck's produced, regardless if that's fair or not through editing).

She's seems the sort of personality (from what we've seen) that would take that sort of public reaction very, very badly.
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Tristan,

Have you spoken to Anna since the show? Is she regretting going on, given she's now utterly despised on Twitter (and the biggest "villain" that Shipwreck's produced, regardless if that's fair or not through editing).

She's seems the sort of personality (from what we've seen) that would take that sort of public reaction very, very badly.

Thats a question for Anna not me. I've spoken to her a bit, and from getting to know her I know she is very thick skinned. She wouldn't care at all what people have to say about her on twitter, forums or otherwise.

I get a fair amount of hate myself, I really enjoy reading it believe it or not. Because when it boils down to it none of the people who comment on us know us in the slightest. You see a heavily edited show. That coupled with the fact that in the real world we act very differently (me especially).

I don't think the negative comments get to any of us. Not the ones I speak to anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's a difference between "thick skinned" and being able to resist "massive barrage of hate".

I'm not sure even the thickest skinned could be unfazed by that.
    Forum Member
    I dis-agree. Although I have a 50/50 split now of fans/haters. After episode 1 before people saw much of me it was 95% hate. I was more hated than Anna.

Not only was I unfazed, but I genuinely ENJOYED reading the massive paragraphs people would send to me about my attitude. As if I needed their advice when my life is going just fine.

Loved it. Unsure about Anna... However it wouldnt surprise me if her outlook was the same as mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be real Tristan, as much as you say you were in with the "Hills" crew for the power it gave you, it's no coincidence that you always took their side on any debate both to their faces and to the camera crew, and noticeably on here too. Your personality fits in with their far more than it fits in with everybody else's on the island. You can say it was "all about the game" but at the end of the day, you are one of them, you are more similar to them than any others. What's funny is the irony behind your bravado. Everything about the way you are is conformist and to please others, in order to please yourself. So much about how you value yourself and others is based on irrelevant and superficial factors. I hate people who consider themselves to be above others, when in reality they are the lowest and least likeable people. That applies to Anna mostly, what a cow. I really hope you do not win, although I have a feeling that you will simply because the hills will default to you. Also, I'm pretty sure you just gave a twist away about how the winner will be decided.

This is honestly the worst Shipwrecked so far, I'm really disappointed and mostly worried that it will get cancelled again. There are very few likeable characters, it's not enjoyable or comfortable watching the antagonists of any show being so clearly dominant of the protagonists. The divide is obvious, the people who have morals and standards, and then the people that don't. It is infuriating to know that the Hills have basically monopolised the elections and more annoying to see that the other guys seem to have just resigned to the fact the Hills will win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be real Tristan, as much as you say you were in with the "Hills" crew for the power it gave you, it's no coincidence that you always took their side on any debate both to their faces and to the camera crew, and noticeably on here too. Your personality fits in with their far more than it fits in with everybody else's on the island. You can say it was "all about the game" but at the end of the day, you are one of them, you are more similar to them than any others. What's funny is the irony behind your bravado. Everything about the way you are is conformist and to please others, in order to please yourself. So much about how you value yourself and others is based on irrelevant and superficial factors. I hate people who consider themselves to be above others, when in reality they are the lowest and least likeable people. That applies to Anna mostly, what a cow. I really hope you do not win, although I have a feeling that you will simply because the hills will default to you. Also, I'm pretty sure you just gave a twist away about how the winner will be decided.

This is honestly the worst Shipwrecked so far, I'm really disappointed and mostly worried that it will get cancelled again. There are very few likeable characters, it's not enjoyable or comfortable watching the antagonists of any show being so clearly dominant of the protagonists. The divide is obvious, the people who have morals and standards, and then the people that don't. It is infuriating to know that the Hills have basically monopolised the elections and more annoying to see that the other guys seem to have just resigned to the fact the Hills will win.

The whole "stick 'em all together!" only works with a continual injection of people.

One of the main reasons the recent multi-island format works is because it builds a sense of camaraderie (a common enemy in the other island). That reaches through the screen, and was a joy to watch. When everyone's on the same island, that same mechanic results in outcasts for every else to bond against, and results in horrible uncomfortable viewing which comes across as bullying.

It doesn't help they cast 90% vacuous Club 18-30 idiots.
    Forum Member
    Hello LynxSoldier.

The reason I stand by my position that it was for selfish reasons is because IF it had been beneficial to side with the slums I would have. No questions asked. And at any stage in the game I would have stabbed anybody in 'The hills' in the back for a leg up in the competition.

Perhaps from watching the few hours of footage you have made the assumption that I am more like the people in the hills, and you are entitled to your opinion. But do keep in mind that you do not know me, or them, or the people you like in the slums.

I have already addressed that your personal opinions and disliking of me is irrelevant, if my life wasn't going the way I wanted it to perhaps I would consult advice on my outlook/attitude. However it is that exact attitude that has helped me every step of the way throughout my 23 years.

I won't apologise for the fact you're not enjoying the series, as this is hardly my fault, I was merely thrown onto the island. Rather than watch something you don't enjoy I would suggest changing the channel or picking up a book.

Pootmatoot - I have to agree with most of what you said. IF you liked shipwrecked for the camaraderie aspect in previous series it is completely understandable why you do not like this one. Its a fair point, but personally IF I did watch reality TV I would prefer it if they didn't all get along and love eachother, I think conflict makes things more interesting.

Take care, any other questions feel free to ask.
    Forum Member
    Did you get much survival training before going to the island? Like hut building or firemaking? And how much support did you get whilst on the island?
    Thanks!
    Forum Member
    Lilkt wrote: »
    Did you get much survival training before going to the island? Like hut building or firemaking? And how much support did you get whilst on the island?
    Thanks!

None and none. I had to work everything out from scratch and show everybody. (Blowing my own trumpet but that was the case)

We were shown basic machette safety... Dont cut towards your leg etc etc. Basic shit. The only help we got was in the last episode the pig was 'Stunned' by an islander before I stabbed it.

By stunned I mean hit very hard between the eyes with a hammer by a gigantic strong man.

Besides that, no help. Practicality and competence is all I had.
    Forum Member
    Cool, thanks for your answer. Fair play to ya, did think you were a little bit of a tool in the first couple of episodes but i've changed my mind and i like that you're so open and straightforward about being a gameplayer yet (so far), you've not been mean or cruel like some of the other's have been. You wanna win, you're not ashamed to hide it yet. Plus you've got involved from the word go not sat around on your arse moaning. Kudos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j-la wrote: »
    - Where did the crew stay and did they have luxury accommodation? Did they ever intervene and did you have any interaction with them?

This. From certain parts on the island, you can see another small one, not so far away. I'm guessing that's where Anna, Joe and Brimes went. Did the crew stay there? Or another part of the island? And how would they know what would go on at night, like when you and Bear poured water over the camp fire, did you inform the crew?

I understand if you can't answer this yet but please do, even if you only can when the show has ended.