The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Has Prof Brian Cox ever been on?
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I don't think she did too bad a job of reading the autocue.
    I think the main problem is that she was out of her depth with the topics.
    It did make a nice change not to have the presenter interrupting everyone all the time though.

She's more suited to shallow topics of discussion.......................................but as TWS has changed so much lately, maybe she was the right choice after all.
    :D;)

She certainly didn't stumble over her words as much as Kevin O'Sullivan.

He gets worse every week.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she did too bad a job of reading the autocue.
    I think the main problem is that she was out of her depth with the topics.
    It did make a nice change not to have the presenter interrupting everyone all the time though.

She's more suited to shallow topics of discussion.......................................but as TWS has changed so much lately, maybe she was the right choice after all.
    :D;)

She certainly didn't stumble over her words as much as Kevin O'Sullivan.

He gets worse every week.

The trouble is, having seen her on Loose Women numerous times, she often had the attitude of "I'm not bothered" when the panel were discussing serious topics. Because of this attitude I formed the impression that she's probably the type who sits at home all day in her dressing gown watching Jeremy Kyle and chain smoking/cake eating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke, the main guest got my goat, the bloke hawking his new book on office polotics saying that most managers are physcos ... Mat wouldnt of let him go off on a rant about how labour didnt spend us in to a mess and the banking mess was all the tories fault even thou they had been in power long enough to sort the issues if they hadnt of been to busy telling us every week before the crash that they had banned boom and bust .... All the Nolan could do was make a weak quip and move on, what hapend to balance..

But then im no fan of the other two bods on the panel this week. Oh and bring back Eric .
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke, the main guest got my goat, the bloke hawking his new book on office polotics saying that most managers are physcos ...

He didn’t say “most”. IIRC he said 1 in 100 in the general pop. were and that 4 out of 100 in management were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    He didn’t say “most”. IIRC he said 1 in 100 in the general pop. were and that 4 out of 100 in management were.

I stand corrected... :D

but can we still bring back Eric ?
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke, the main guest got my goat, the bloke hawking his new book on office polotics saying that most managers are physcos ... Mat wouldnt of let him go off on a rant about how labour didnt spend us in to a mess and the banking mess was all the tories fault even thou they had been in power long enough to sort the issues if they hadnt of been to busy telling us every week before the crash that they had banned boom and bust .... All the Nolan could do was make a weak quip and move on, what hapend to balance..

But then im no fan of the other two bods on the panel this week. Oh and bring back Eric .

Stole my thunder. This was a perfect example of someone sticking to what they apparently are knowledgeable in and not going off on dire tripe rants talking a load of ill conceived crap Clearly he knows what is expected when invited onto the show, from a political viewpoint.
  • whirlingthunderwhirlingthunder Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    c0bo wrote: »
    From the top my head Anne Diamond, Kaye Adams, Donal MacIntyre, Hardeep Singh Kohli, Andrew Castle, Richard Madely, Richard Bacon and Fiona Phillips have guest presented.

I remember Lowri being a good stand in too. I know she's a bit marmite on this forum but I like the feisty Welsh triplet :p. I also really enjoyed it when Richard Bacon and Andrew Castle stood in as well. The downside was that it made me realise how much Matthew was starting to p*ss me off. I haven't seen show for 2 weeks cos of a new job + by the sound of it things haven't improved :yawn:. I've said it before, and it does sadden me, but the TWS's days are surely numbered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you mad, he only does exotic locations where he can talk about Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing things, like the stars you know are really bright.
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    The trouble is, having seen her on Loose Women numerous times, she often had the attitude of "I'm not bothered" when the panel were discussing serious topics. Because of this attitude I formed the impression that she's probably the type who sits at home all day in her dressing gown watching Jeremy Kyle and chain smoking/cake eating.

I get that impression, too.

:o
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    She has presented Quizmania which use to be on ITV.
    Hey thanks for that! Mmmmmm yummmmmmy!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Lowri being a good stand in too. I know she's a bit marmite on this forum but I like the feisty Welsh triplet :p. I also really enjoyed it when Richard Bacon and Andrew Castle stood in as well. The downside was that it made me realise how much Matthew was starting to p*ss me off. I haven't seen show for 2 weeks cos of a new job + by the sound of it things haven't improved :yawn:. I've said it before, and it does sadden me, but the TWS's days are surely numbered.

Are they? What are the ratings?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think so but would definitely prove an interesting guest. Only problem he tends to 'lose' most folk within a few minutes! First time I saw him I thought...."a Professor?? :eek: he looks more like a 'boy band' member!" I never realised until I Googled he actually had once been!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    anielled wrote: »
    Are you mad, he only does exotic locations where he can talk about Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing things, like the stars you know are really bright.

I do find him amazing... and he has got my daughter so interested in science. I think hed be an amazing guest anywhere
  • whirlingthunderwhirlingthunder Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »

Dunno. It's the blatant cost cutting, the naff guests, the repetitive on-rotation panel members convincing me that all is not well. Matthew doesn't seem to love it as much either, he's far too easily irritated and rude these days. Not a happy bunny. It seems that the show has been losing its credibility amongst prospective guests and loyal viewers, and is now too dumbed down for original fans but not ghastly enough for the Kyle types.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Hovering around 300k last time I checked. Peppa Pig is getting over double that :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hovering around 300k last time I checked. Peppa Pig is getting over double that :p

Really? PMSL! :D

Well, if Matthew's cataract operation isn't a success and he needs someone to stand in again, on Monday, we know who it'll be ;)
    Forum Member
    If they had more interesting guests on and stopped Matthew interrupting all the time, it might get better viewing figures.

But I think it is slowly losing regular viewers because the standards have slipped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they had more interesting guests on and stopped Matthew interrupting all the time, it might get better viewing figures.

But I think it is slowly losing regular viewers because the standards have slipped.
    I used to watch from the opening but now avoid the guest slot as 1) most are either boring or people i've never heard of, and 2) far too much time is given to 'the guest' in self- promotion with MW fawning over them and the other two panelists asking scripted 'questions' with a pretence of interest.

It needs freshening up with a short snappy intro of the guest (5 mins max) then moving straight into the first topic of the day which should be serious and indepth, ending the show on a light article.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I used to watch from the opening but now avoid the guest slot as 1) most are either boring or people i've never heard of, and 2) far too much time is given to 'the guest' in self- promotion with MW fawning over them and the other two panelists asking scripted 'questions' with a pretence of interest.

And given the decrease in quality, you often get:

Panellist to guest: "So, I hear that* you have...." etc.
    (*A researcher has told me to ask)

Guest: "Er.. no."

Clever(!)
    It needs freshening up with a short snappy intro of the guest (5 mins max) then moving straight into the first topic of the day which should be serious and indepth, ending the show on a light article.

They used to start off with the paper review, which is where it should be.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show has been ruined by Channel 5 management, It was fine as a current events program not to promote what ever reality TV rubbish on Channel 5 and the tacky types from CBB :(
  • shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Colleen's Friday Autocue reading was very amusing. She kept stumbling over what she was reading. MW was reading the same things near blind! and a huge autocue text :D

I remember Lowri being really good as a stand in too! she was a guest for the week and MW was very ill with a stomach bug and had gone home already. She took over and was replaced with another guest. She is well trained as a presenter and I think less annoying running the show than saying some of her more crazy views ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colleen's Friday Autocue reading was very amusing. She kept stumbling over what she was reading. MW was reading the same things near blind! and a huge autocue text :D

I remember Lowri being really good as a stand in too! she was a guest for the week and MW was very ill with a stomach bug and had gone home already. She took over and was replaced with another guest. She is well trained as a presenter and I think less annoying running the show than saying some of her more crazy views ;)

Whoops, read that as TOOL Nearly agreed with you.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show has been ruined by Channel 5 management, It was fine as a current events program not to promote what ever reality TV rubbish on Channel 5 and the tacky types from CBB :(

It's not just in the guests where the problem lies, but in not bothering to have many (or any) decent TPs. This has been a problem for around 3 years.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for that! Mmmmmm yummmmmmy!! :D:D:D:D:D
    Blimey O'Reilly, our Kirst isn't hard on the eye, is she?:)
This discussion has been closed.