British Gas, Could I be affected?

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
Just looking for some advice, we all know that prices are going up for Gas and Electric with British Gas but could I be affected as well even though I have both for pre-payment meter.

If I am then I am very annoyed, why are British Gas doing this when we are in hard times :(

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice, we all know that prices are going up for Gas and Electric with British Gas but could I be affected as well even though I have both for pre-payment meter.

If I am then I am very annoyed, why are British Gas doing this when we are in hard times :(

As far as I know prices are going up for all customers - regardless of whether you're pre-pay or billed.

British Gas are doing this because they say they aren't making enough money. God knows why anybody thought privatisation of the national energy industries would accomplish anything other than this.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only recently joined BG actually so I'm obviously narked about their price rises because I wasn't told during the sign up process. Trying to get through on the phone is a bit of a nightmare though ..
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »

I my received a letter from BG yesterday saying my prepayment prices were increasing.

Like prepayment customers dont pay a high enough rate anyway.

I never did get why paying in advance for your fuel is more expensive than credit.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only recently joined BG actually so I'm obviously narked about their price rises because I wasn't told during the sign up process. Trying to get through on the phone is a bit of a nightmare though ..

As long as night follows day prices will be going up so I'm not sure exactly what you expected, you could of course fix your rates until next year but the rate will be higher anyway than the current rates and when next years rise comes you will still be locked into this years fixed price unless you pay a penalty for getting out early this is why the Westminster scum are talking out of their backsides when it comes to switching providers.

What do you prefer the frying pan or the fire.:D
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I my received a letter from BG yesterday saying my prepayment prices were increasing.

I never did get why paying in advance for your fuel is more expensive than credit.
    Did they stop this practice a while back? Or at the least, talked about doing so I think.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    As long as night follows day prices will be going up so I'm not sure exactly what you expected, you could of course fix your rates until next year but the rate will be higher anyway than the current rates and when next years rise comes you will still be locked into this years fixed price unless you pay a penalty for getting out early this is why the Westminster scum are talking out of their backsides when it comes to switching providers.

What do you prefer the frying pan or the fire.:D

You're obviously completely right about the price rises, but this is the reason i switch providers fairly regularly. I'd done all my usual 'due dilligence' before switching to British Gas and was confident I'd got the cheapest deal that benefitted me the most.

The reason I'm narked about it is that they didn't tell me the prices were about to be put up not long after my switch was complete. It still might work though because if I've worked it out properly, even with the rise on the electric, I'll still be paying less than I was paying nPower.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Did they stop this practice a while back? Or at the least, talked about doing so I think.

I dont know I only know that everyone tells me I pay a lot more for the privilege of paying upfront.

Mine never seem that bad to what others say they pay. Some people seem to pay as much as I would think buck palace pays :confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Im a BG customer and since the announcement they emailed me to offer me a fixed price deal at the current rate until nov 2014.
    Also another deal that for a fixed increase a deal until Nov 2016.
    When i enquired about the 2016 deal they didnt have a clue if i would pay more or less than the other deal.
    Needless to say i went for the 1 year deal rather than take a chance on something i couldnt verify (or them!)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Im a BG customer and since the announcement they emailed me to offer me a fixed price deal at the current rate until nov 2014.
    When i enquired about the 2016 deal they didnt have a clue if i would pay more or less than the other deal.
    Needless to say i went for the 1 year deal rather than take a chance on something i couldnt verify (or them!)

Presumably they would have been able to give you details of unit prices and the standing charge - then you could have worked it out for yourself?
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the same thing, not sure they would offer anyone a deal that made them less money in the long run tbh.

I find it ironic that we are advised we can 'shop around' for the best deal when it is perfectly obvious it's a bit of a price fixing cartel and no one is even going to rock the boat by offering prices well below the rest of the gang. I did go on that switching site once and laboriously put in all my info and if I switched I would apparently save four fifths of beggar all, so have stayed with BG for dual fuel.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got that e-mail too and I'm not a 100% sure but I think when they fix the price to whatever date, it includes this years price rises so you won't escape them.
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Presumably they would have been able to give you details of unit prices and the standing charge - then you could have worked it out for yourself?

That was the problem because they said it would cost a fixed amount per month extra and even customer service couldnt work it out.
    Its because they were unable to answer a question (which they agreed was a good question) that i decided to settle for something that was clear and that i understood.
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I got that e-mail too and I'm not a 100% sure but I think when they fix the price to whatever date, it includes this years price rises so you won't escape them.

The one year deal does NOT include the november increase.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one year deal does NOT include the november increase.

My reading of the e-mail I got from BG is that is does:

Sign up to Fix & Fall November 2014, and fix your gas and electricity prices at our new Standard rates until 30th November 2014.

The inclusion of new to me means the increased rate. I know that it goes on to say It means your prices won’t go up but I read that to mean that prices won't go up after you have accepted the new rate.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The consumer magazine Which? had a very good idea. Why don't power companies show their prices in the same way as petrol companies do? You could then very easily see how the prices for each company compared.

The drawback is that you would want to change your supplier every quarter to go to the cheapest one.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched mine from npower to Sainsbury's energy using the Big Community Switch a few months ago.

£45 a month fixed rate. Paid by DD and after 12 months I will get £210 credited back to my account.

I think the Big Community Switch scheme is still open for new registrations for a couple more weeks.

Might be worth checking out and seeing which is the best winning deal for your area if its involved in the scheme.

No obligation to switch at all though.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's because when they're paid by direct debit, the money is in their account. Multiply this by several thousands and it's not hard to see why they push customers to pay via direct debit
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Paying on a prepayment meter is cheaper that paying a standard bill with a credit or debit card
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbv wrote: »
    Paying on a prepayment meter is cheaper that paying a standard bill with a credit or debit card

The pain I found with them is that older meters need to have their prices updated manually after price rises or falls, which can take months. which This means you could be left paying old rates and owing a lump sum, or if the prices ever go down then paying too much.

I got caught out when moving out of a house with pre-payment and got a final bill for it that I wasn't expecting
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had ours capped for the past five years. If the price goes up, you gain. But if it goes down you lose out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    It's because when they're paid by direct debit, the money is in their account. Multiply this by several thousands and it's not hard to see why they push customers to pay via direct debit

I pay them directly onto their website in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbv wrote: »

Never used to be as I was always being told we pay a premium for key meters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    The pain I found with them is that older meters need to have their prices updated manually after price rises or falls, which can take months. which This means you could be left paying old rates and owing a lump sum, or if the prices ever go down then paying too much.

I got caught out when moving out of a house with pre-payment and got a final bill for it that I wasn't expecting

Most people have new meters now. They were changing over the old ones a few years ago.