ABBA night - BBC4 - 27/12/13 2100 onwards

Comments

• Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop videos pre-date MTV by quite some time.

Are we gonna get bogged down in a time honoured Doghouse debate as to what constitutes a Pop Promo/Video ?

The Beatles made films of them miming along to their latest platter to show on TV shows rather than have the lazy buggers appear in person, that's a Pop Promo/Video.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop videos pre-date MTV by quite some time.

Are we gonna get bogged down in a time honoured Doghouse debate as to what constitutes a Pop Promo/Video ?

The Beatles made films of them miming along to their latest platter to show on TV shows rather than have the lazy buggers appear in person, that's a Pop Promo/Video.

Did you miss my "by some?"

But debate away, if it's important to you, but "include me out."
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB

This may be true.

A bit if trivia.
    But the first "pop video" was reputedly, Robert Palmer's "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley."
    According to the music industry Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is acknowledged as being the first official pop video.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two glasses of wine and I love a bit of ABBA. I was having a sing along last night(yes two glasses of wine):blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    According to the music industry Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is acknowledged as being the first official pop video.

I'm not looking to "lock horns" over musical trivia, but my information comes from Palmer's own commentary on his "Video Addictions" VHS, which I bought in 1992.
    He says he didn't know why they made the video for "Sally" at the time (1974), as there was no demand for them.

But Island Records went on to make one for all his subsequent releases.

"Sally" of course, pre-dates Bohemian Rhapsody by a year.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    "She didn't try to be sexy, she just was."

As she said to Noel, I'm not just a sexy bum.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    They had ABBA night on Ch5 a couple of weeks back. Is it some kind of anniversary?
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It must be difficult to find anything new to say about Abba after the umpteen documentaries that have already been made about them.
    However, this one did come up with some amusing stuff about the hostile reception they got from the more "right-on" elements of the music scene in their native Sweden.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    They had ABBA night on Ch5 a couple of weeks back. Is it some kind of anniversary?

Not really, just a crap TV channel bereft of original ideas.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they have Pete Waterman on such shows - when he is responsible for so many crimes against music that he should be locked up forever?
    Because Pete Waterman is passionate and knows what he's talking about, not like that prat who said that Joy Division, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith were all more important than Abba. Yeah, right. And Pete has been partly responsible for some of the greatest pop music of all time.
    Waterman and ABBA share a common factor.....an ability to consistently turn out hit records. And love 'em or loathe 'em nobody can deny the incredible success of ABBA. Yes they had all been in bands before but even when ABBA formed, outside of Sweden they were still relatively unknown......until Waterloo.

Ironically Eurovision spells the end for most singers and bands but ABBA just went stratospheric after "Waterloo". I was surprised to find they had failed to reach the Eurovision finals with "Ring Ring" the previous year, a classic Euro style tune imo.

"Winner Takes it All" came out just after i'd gone through my first (and difficult) divorce and the lyrics and tune still cuts me up some. How all four of them managed to perform that together.....i honestly don't know.

I like a lot of ABBA songs but oddly enough my most favourite is "Arrival" which has no lyrics! Also heard it played by a Scottish Pipe band which sounds incredibly powerful. I don't know why but that tune just 'does' something for me.

ABBA came about at a time when I was into the likes of Clapton, Page and Gilmour etc and to admit you liked ABBA was simply taboo! But they never went away, kept on turning out the hits, and eventually I bought an ABBA cd boxed set! :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, just a crap TV channel bereft of original ideas.
    I used to think the same about Ch5, and it was when it first aired. Haven't thought that for some time now though. Every now and then they throw in a cracking documentary which of course you miss if you don't keep an eye on their schedule.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Waterman and ABBA share a common factor.....an ability to consistently turn out hit records. And love 'em or loathe 'em nobody can deny the incredible success of ABBA. Yes they had all been in bands before but even when ABBA formed, outside of Sweden they were still relatively unknown......until Waterloo.

Ironically Eurovision spells the end for most singers and bands but ABBA just went stratospheric after "Waterloo". I was surprised to find they had failed to reach the Eurovision finals with "Ring Ring" the previous year, a classic Euro style tune imo.

"Winner Takes it All" came out just after i'd gone through my first (and difficult) divorce and the lyrics and tune still cuts me up some. How all four of them managed to perform that together.....i honestly don't know.

I like a lot of ABBA songs but oddly enough my most favourite is "Arrival" which has no lyrics! Also heard it played by a Scottish Pipe band which sounds incredibly powerful. I don't know why but that tune just 'does' something for me.

ABBA came about at a time when I was into the likes of Clapton, Page and Gilmour etc and to admit you liked ABBA was simply taboo! But they never went away, kept on turning out the hits, and eventually I bought an ABBA cd boxed set! :D
    BIB Actually ABBA felt they couldn't get arrested after Eurovision
    with Ring Ring I DO I Do I Do and their version of Honey Honey all flopping in the UK charts.. the writing seemed to be on the wall when even a cover of Honey honey got to number 10 with Sweet Dreams.. but of course in late 1975 (nearly 18 months after Eurovision) we got SOS
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Agnetha was perfection. She was the star of ABBA;-)

At least, until Frida got her confidence up. Look at videos such as Knowing Me Knowing You or Voulez Vous, and its Frida who is much more attractive and charismatic...IMHO.

Agnetha, I have mixed feelings about, these days. After years of waffle about how she didn't like being a pop star, world famous, etc. Just doesn't wash after spending so much of her earlier life trying to be exactly that.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »

It's the 40th anniversary of that historic performance of Waterloo at the Eurovision next year. So may that's the reason why they're doing Abba nights on several channels at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the 40th anniversary of that historic performance of Waterloo at the Eurovision next year. So may that's the reason why they're doing Abba nights on several channels at the moment.

As opposed to the "39th Anniversary" when the BBC showed them all earlier in the year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was the usual annual "will they reform" kerfuffle earlier this year when Benny [ or Bjorn ? ] made some positive noises about a one-off, one song appearance to mark the 40th Anniversary of the Eurovision win.
    I'd love to see it happen,
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was the usual annual "will they reform" kerfuffle earlier this year when Benny [ or Bjorn ? ] made some positive noises about a one-off, one song appearance to mark the 40th Anniversary of the Eurovision win.
    I'd love to see it happen,

I was under the impression that the speculation had been driven by Agnetha emerging from living the life of a recluse more than anything else.

Given that the group have been offered millions to reform and turned that down, I'm not sure how appealing standing on a stage in Denmark will actually be ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As opposed to the "39th Anniversary" when the BBC showed them all earlier in the year?

Really? How odd. It was the 6th April 1974.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least one trailer for one of the recent spate of ABBA documentaries referred to the 40th anniversary of ABBA.
    That would be correct as they first performed as ABBA in 1973 - with their failed attempt to enter Eurovision for Sweden with "Ring Ring".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? How odd. It was the 6th April 1974.

Why odd?

First shown 11th June this year, so a couple of months after the "39th anniversary."

It was just a bit of a joke.
    Did it really need a smiley?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why odd?

First shown 11th June this year, so a couple of months after the "39th anniversary."

It was just a bit of a joke.
    Did it really need a smiley?

I would have laughed then. :D I thought they would have shown it for the 40th anniversary. That's why I thought it a bit odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have laughed then. :D I thought they would have shown it for the 40th anniversary. That's why I thought it a bit odd.

Possibly, but as has been said on different threads, networks will show "anything" over Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    i remember a show on bbc2 i think called 'Made in Sweden' where Abba sang a few of their early hits.
    Remember them on Mike Yarwood show as well in 78.
    Ring Ring was the first song by them i heard. I liked it at the time.

Yes - you're thinking of "Made in Sweden for Export", which was a Swedish entry for the Golden Rose of Montreux in 1976.
    If you're interested there seem to be several copies of this on YouTube, such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fva4EpwuYns
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that they were on Tommy Cooper's Show performing Ring, Ring in 1975. 'So Long' - one of my own favourites - also bombed in the 74-75 gap.

I was amused by the Swedes all calling them AB-BA. I also still don't understand the fuss over the SOS video. I suppose Agnetha was pregnant for the second time, but that outfit made her look quite hefty from the waist down.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who can't get enough......Sky Arts are doing a programme or 2 on them in the coming days.