Thinking of Applying for the London Marathon (2015)

lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,635
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

So, basically, I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a slob. Never really exercise, don't really have the best of diets. Not overly fat, but not exactly in shape. I've been meaning to try and sort myself out for ages now, but never seem to get around to it. However, a recent trip to London has given me a crazy idea: to train up and run the marathon.

Why, you may ask, would a guy like me want to do that? Simple; I genuinely think it would turn my lifestyle around. For me to go from being the way I am now to being fit enough to run 26 miles would not only be a remarkable achievement, but I feel it could help encourage others in my position to, basically, get up and get fit! Plus, I'm very big on charity, and the thought of being able to raise a bit of money for any kind of charity really appeals to me.

While still in a very early stage at the moment, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions.

First off... can it be done? Is it realistic to expect an unfit guy to get in shape within 12 months? How intense would training have to be, and would it be best if I enlisted a trainer of some sort? I understand obviously it would depend upon how dedicated I am also.

Second off... how do you actually sign up? I'm aware that you may need to do it through a charity.

I am serious about doing this, but I do understand it may sound a little far fetched. Any advice that you can give me would be much appreciated.

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 12 months is long enough to get in shape. I believe your best bet might to join a local running club. They get allocated entrance and they will help you train.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you can pledge a couple of thousand quid or so for a charity place then you'll have to take your chances in the (vastly oversubscribed) ballot for ordinary entrants. Enter if you like, but I would work up to it via shorter races, and consider marathons which are easier to enter.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    What's that you say? Lose a lot of weight by doing a bit more exercise? Like this bloke?

The Incredible Shrinking Gaz
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly OP, unless you can afford a couple of thousand pounds for a charity place (and can then guarantee a certain amount of sponsorship raised), you’re only bet will be the ballot. I’ve heard there are around 6 applicants to each ballot place, so it’s not likely you’ll get in.

Have you thought about running any one of the other marathons held in the UK? I know London is the biggest/most famous, but there are plenty of other marathon events you could enter (or shorter distances, which might be a good suggestion if you’ve not run long-distance before). Check out www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ for events that might suit you.

In terms of actually starting running – try the couch-to-5k plan from the NHS(http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx). It begins with running for short periods with walking in between, and builds you up to running for 30mins continuously. From there, you’ll be able to increase your distance up to the full marathon distance over the 12 months following a plan similar to this one: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program.

It’s certainly not far-fetched, and the fact you’re wanting to raise money for charity is admirable. Good luck!
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't applied for a London Marathon place through the ballot for about 7 years, but if I remember correctly, you didn't hear until near Christmas time. So you have to start training now regardless so that you would be in a position to step the distance up if you got a place. But as mentioned, they are hugely over subscribed through the ballot.
    There are plenty of other marathons and half marathons that you can pretty much guarantee a place on provided you apply early enough and that will still have great atmospheres and give you a massive sense of achievement.
  • pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    A good place to start would be "Parkrun"
    Check out the website and see if there is one near you. All you need to do is register, turn up and run 5k. Your time is recorded to so that you can see your improvement over the weeks. It is completely free and run by volunteers, which you might fancy doing.

I have now complete 44 parkruns and it has certainly got me a lot fitter. Although I could probably run a marathon I just don't fancy it. I have done a half and have booked a couple more of the summer. 13.1 miles is a nice distance and just about right.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Training for and completing a marathon is a big personal achievement and can raise lots money for good causes, that's the positive. On the negative, if your goal is to get fit and stay fit, then long distance running is one of the worst things you can do exercise-wise. Over time you'll do more damage to your body than you can imagine. A combination of resistance training and shorter more intense cardio sessions, with balanced nutrition is much better for your health and fitness in the long term.

I'm not trying to put you off, go for it if its what you want, and I sincerely wish you all the best. I'm just offering an alternative, and a healthier one at that.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Places for the 2015 Brighton marathon go on sale tomorrow at 12pm from the Brighton marathon website. It's a great alternative to London. No public ballot required if you get in there quick. I ran it yesterday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running since last May and I'm running the marathon on Sunday; it is a lot of work and I slotted in races to make sure I was progressing right. A 5k in October 10K in December and half marathon by February.

I wasn't successful in the ballot (but was for the New York marathon this November) so I ahave to pledge £1800 to run for a charity.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Hi all

So, basically, I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a slob. Never really exercise, don't really have the best of diets. Not overly fat, but not exactly in shape. I've been meaning to try and sort myself out for ages now, but never seem to get around to it. However, a recent trip to London has given me a crazy idea: to train up and run the marathon.

Certainly many people do train in a year or under, but why London? - it's VERY, VERY difficult to get a place, why not run a more local one?. I know a good number of people who have tried year after year, and never got a place - even with raising charity sponsorship and having run various marathons.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said, London may not be the best choice for practical reasons. If you don't want to stay local, maybe consider something on the continent? I did Krakow last year, Paris/Rome etc are popular too.

I ran my marathon with the help of this book. Really recommended (just ignore the bits about popping ibuprofen - not recommended these days). http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1570281823?pc_redir=1396454192&robot_redir=1

Good luck - a big goal can be exactly what you need to make big changes in your life.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be done, I know someone who only took up running last year and completed Belfast and Dublin marathons.

I can't see me getting lucky in the ballot (have to take the charity route for this and last year's GNR) but I'll still apply. Will aim for Dublin or Belfast if I'm unsuccessful but I can't see me ever doing more than one.

I do enjoy a good 10k though and the occasional half.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London ballot is in the next few days, better be quick.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very possible to go from zero to a marathon in a year. It's enough time to build up your fitness slowly and sensibly.

The ballot opens in the early hours tomorrow.. enter early.. it filled up before lunch time last year. You've about a 1 in 9 chance of getting in via the ballot and they tell you in late September. If you don't get in via the ballot there are plenty of charity places but they usually require £1500 - £2000 minimum fund raising.

My best advice is start running now. Don't wait until October to find out you've got a place and then start.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you enter the ballot OP? It opened early this morning. If not, it's now closed so you'd have to be looking at a charity place.

Either way, if you're serious about running a marathon (London or any other), Inspiration has the best advice. Start running now. You can't start too early, especially not for marathon training. If you don't manage to get into London (or haven't applied), there is the Edinburgh marathon (along with other distances) in held in May which you'd likely have more luck in getting a place.

In any case, good luck OP.
  • DahuDahu Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I was going to enter, didn't realise the ballot opened at midnight. Tried it this morning but full already. Grrr. Seems a bit daft really, this is only the ballot for gawd's sakes why have such a low limit? And why make people wait until October to know if they're in or not, just draw it now.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dahu wrote: »
    I was going to enter, didn't realise the ballot opened at midnight. Tried it this morning but full already. Grrr. Seems a bit daft really, this is only the ballot for gawd's sakes why have such a low limit? And why make people wait until October to know if they're in or not, just draw it now.

You don't have to run London. For all the coverage it gets, it's not necessarily the best marathon in the world or even in the country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ballot automatically closes after there was been 120,000 applications. Your best bet now is to try and gt a charity place but be careful as minimim sponsorship can be around £1800.

There is a 26 week training plan which makes it possible to run from October to the marathon but a lot of applicants already have a certain fitness level anyway due to short ruins it's all about building it up to the 26.2 miles in those few months.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

125,000 isn't a low limit... it's just very very over subscribed. 25,000 people entered within the first hour.

They don't know until October as I think they wait that long to fill as many charity places as possible and then allocate the rest to the ballot. You end up with about a 1 in 8 chance of getting in.

If you really want to do London you'll either need to pledge to raise £2000 for charity to get a charity place or pick another marathon.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I entered the ballot shortly after midnight but even then I had a couple of website crashes before I got in.

Have Dublin as my backup if I don't get in, don't fancy the charity route (and even there they tell people to enter the ballot as backup) as I would find the fundraising more pressure than the training. £350 for GNR is bad enough.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I am doing the shine night marathon which is a walking marathon, have you considered that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I entered the ballot shortly after midnight but even then I had a couple of website crashes before I got in.

Have Dublin as my backup if I don't get in, don't fancy the charity route (and even there they tell people to enter the ballot as backup) as I would find the fundraising more pressure than the training. £350 for GNR is bad enough.

I found the fundraising more stressful this year. Especially as I had to pull out mile 8 due to injury and my per mile sponsors gave me less money.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    A few years ago i did the london bridges half marathon, would you consider that? It was in aid of kidney research but there was no minimum amount you had to raise, just pay a small fee to enter and raise what you could.

It was 13 miles and i walked it because i hadnt done any running before. I managed it but felt ill afterwards and glad it wasnt any longer! Was a good place to start though if you were looking into longer marathons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Training for and completing a marathon is a big personal achievement and can raise lots money for good causes, that's the positive. On the negative, if your goal is to get fit and stay fit, then long distance running is one of the worst things you can do exercise-wise. Over time you'll do more damage to your body than you can imagine. A combination of resistance training and shorter more intense cardio sessions, with balanced nutrition is much better for your health and fitness in the long term.

I'm not trying to put you off, go for it if its what you want, and I sincerely wish you all the best. I'm just offering an alternative, and a healthier one at that.

Let's define fitness. Fitness training is training your body to adapt to the demands you place upon it. If any kind of training gives you an overall health benefit then that is a positive whichever way you look at it.

The main benefit of long distance running is that it helps to prevent obesity, heart disease and high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and can improve your mental health.

Studies have also shown that running is (contrary to popular belief) good for joint strength, improving your bone density and does not cause significant damage to knees particularly.

I respect your right to choose whatever fitness regime you feel appropriate, but your remarks about long distance running display a whitewash ignorance and lack of understanding of the concept.

Of course, as is pointed out by other contributors to the thread, take advice (training plans and cross-training routines), join with like minded people, get suitable apparel and train to a level that you are happy / comfortable with.

Compete to whatever degree you like, whether your yardstick is yourself, people of a similar demographic or just for the sheer joy of taking part.

Running for a lot of people is a journey and not just the physical kind. I would recommend it to anyone.