Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't hear it myself, but I've been told that as a tribute to Bobby Womack, Smooth played Womack and Womack's "Baby I'm scared of you" last night!:eek:

That is all over my own personal timeline on Facebook as well!!
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't hear it myself, but I've been told that as a tribute to Bobby Womack, Smooth played Womack and Womack's "Baby I'm scared of you" last night!:eek:

I can't see that on the list of tracks played (6pm-6am), although Bobby Womack's Across 110th Street was played at 6.35pm according to the playlist.

http://www.smoothradio.com/london/playlist/2014/june/28/smooth-saturday/#/london/playlist/2014/june/28/smooth-soul/

http://www.smoothradio.com/london/playlist/2014/june/28/smooth-saturday/#/london/playlist/2014/june/28/the-great-british-songbook/

http://www.smoothradio.com/london/playlist/2014/june/29/smooth-sunday/#/london/playlist/2014/june/29/through-the-night/
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Garraway just started with a "non stop 10 in a row". Do they always do that at 10am?

I know Magic used to do it each hour through the day.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Garraway just started with a "non stop 10 in a row". Do they always do that at 10am?

Makes it a lot easier to get back by plane from.say Wakefield,West Yorkshire.if you had been doing breakfast television,the same morning from there.I would imagine.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member

May as well cut her pay and let her start at 11am. What's the point of having a presenter and playing 10 songs in a row. What does she do go out shopping?.

The Global wrecking machine marches on Smooth goes from bad to worse. This isn't radio its just a cheap tacky jukebox which you can get anytime you want online.>:(
  • Options
    Karl AshtonKarl Ashton Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    May as well cut her pay and let her start at 11am. What's the point of having a presenter and playing 10 songs in a row. (

Yeah, she goes out shopping with Gary Vincent ;)
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly Kate does what everyone thought Steve Wright was seen doing back during his Radio 1 days shopping in Oxford Street whilst on the Radio.:D
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't be as big when Pat Sharp used to do -' The Top 10 at 10' on Capital.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why stop at just 10? maybe they should try something original like the uninterrupted presenter free 24 hour show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    why stop at just 10? maybe they should try something original like the uninterrupted presenter free 24 hour show.

Then re-name it Gold (breakfast excepted)
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then re-name it Gold (breakfast excepted)

Spot on (but then we wouldn't have anything to gripe about so it takes away all the fun:)
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if it is a glitch on the website but it shows Dave Brown back on Smooth this weekend Saturday and Sunday morning instead on Nigel Williams on overnights.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dave and Nigel and hear them all the time as I'm a taxi driver and work nights . someone said on here that Nigel sounded bored and was just there for the money, but when I've heard him, his links are sometimes longer than a normal smooth one, and are full of energy and enthusiasm. I heard David Andrews do a link, and it must have lasted 10 seconds at about 00:20 the other week, his first link into the hour!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall ever hearing David Andrews do a link more than about 30 secs on Smooth or Gold for that matter but then this is no personality please on air Global after all.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall ever hearing David Andrews do a link more than about 30 secs on Smooth or Gold for that matter but then this is no personality please on air Global after all.

Yes he gets to the point and doesn't waffle on to kill time
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Yes he gets to the point and doesn't waffle on to kill time

Indeed, there's a big difference between word quantity and personality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any news on the previous smooth presenters popping up anywhere ?
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave brown is now Freelance and looking for work. I hope he finds another home he deserves it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave brown is now Freelance and looking for work. I hope he finds another home he deserves it.

Amazing isn't it great presenters like Dave thrown aside for the likes of Castle, Garraway and Hobley etc.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed especially after all the work he put into smooth under gmg.
  • Options
    LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely hadn't listened for at least a couple months, but due to Radio 2 on FM in the car sounding like the reception I used to get from Radio Luxembourg in the 70s, I tuned (mercifully briefly) into Garraway's show last week.

It was if nothing had changed since I the last time I listened for less than five minutes. In fact, it could have been the exact same programme held on pause for me to return to in another time frame. Same soporific, vacuous link to song, followed by song you've heard played so many times, if it were a piece of round plastic in your hand, you'd snap it in two. Strangely enough, I can't remember what that song was now, but I do remember it was something by ABBA - possibly SOS, One of Us, or The Winner Takes it All, or was it Everytime You Go Away by Paul (not so) Young?

Anyway, whatever it was, it was time to bid a swift farewell to Smooth once again and return to fiddling with my handsfree, in-car tuning knob, as I couldn't stand any more mind torture for one day and my medication was starting to wear off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smooth probably sounds best if you listen whilst under anaesthetic.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Smooth probably sounds best if you listen whilst under anaesthetic.

Couldn't agree more either that or a frontal labotomy 😢
    Other than gold when it's not on auto pilot and two presenters on LBC I've forsaken Brand Global so here's at least one person who won't be listening to your messages Mr Advertiser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more either that or a frontal labotomy ��
    Other than gold when it's not on auto pilot and two presenters on LBC I've forsaken Brand Global so here's at least one person who won't be listening to your messages Mr Advertiser

I will ditto that one.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    I thought i didn't like Richard Madeley so i put that car crash of a Hobley effort on. I then decided i love Richard Madeley!

What a great opportunity Smooth have to do a good laid back Sunday morning show, do bits from the papers, interactaction, but no, its possibly the worst show i've heard in a very long time