Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    It's Schneider/Hazard/Thiago all over again.

A new let down every season.

Could well be but to be honest i wouldn't take too much notice of them quotes, i have seen him being hassled and it is obvious he was saying whatever they wanted to hear just so he could get rid of them. I don't expect the deal to go through due to our lack of Champions League football but i suspect the club will already know that.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Schneider/Hazard/Thiago all over again.

A new let down every season.

Missing out on Sneijder and Hazard didn't impact on our ability to win the league, and Thiago's hardly been ripping up trees at Bayern.

We did sign Mata and Van Persie. You win some, you lose some.

The only thing that bothers me is when we publically embarrass ourselves by openly chasing targets, without being certain that we're going to get them, as it was last summer.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Missing out on Sneijder and Hazard didn't impact on our ability to win the league, and Thiago's hardly been ripping up trees at Bayern.

The only thing that bothers me is when we publically embarrass ourselves by openly chasing targets, without being certain that we're going to get them, as it was last summer.

Agree with this, you win some and you lose some, Manchester United still are a big draw for a lot of players and if we dangle enough money in front of them they will come, we might lose a few more due to a lack of European football but in the long term should we get back in the Champions League this season for next season we should be fine.

I knew for certain Moyes probably wasn't up for the job when he pubically embarrassing ourselves over Fabregas when it was clear to every man and his dog that he was never going to come, with Van Gaal it has been more in-house and despite all the speculation know one apart from those who count know what is happening at United on the transfer front and although frustrating for us fans it is how it should be.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair to Thiago, he had a serious injury which kept him out of the side or even a chance of being picked at Bayern for about five or six months, which will hamper anyone in their first year at a new club.

The tines he did play for Bayern/ he did very well, so to put him down, or to say that he hasn't been "ripping up trees at Bayern.", would be a tad harsh on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to Thiago, he had a serious injury which kept him out of the side or even a chance of being picked at Bayern for about five or six months, which will hamper anyone in their first year at a new club.

The tines he did play for Bayern/ he did very well, so to put him down, or to say that he hasn't been "ripping up trees at Bayern.", would be a tad harsh on him.

No it wouldn't, it would be factual.

Regardless of the reasons, I was correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Agree with this, you win some and you lose some, Manchester United still are a big draw for a lot of players and if we dangle enough money in front of them they will come, we might lose a few more due to a lack of European football but in the long term should we get back in the Champions League this season for next season we should be fine.

I knew for certain Moyes probably wasn't up for the job when he pubically embarrassing ourselves over Fabregas when it was clear to every man and his dog that he was never going to come, with Van Gaal it has been more in-house and despite all the speculation know one apart from those who count know what is happening at United on the transfer front and although frustrating for us fans it is how it should be.

Plus there is the draw or lure of playing for van Gaal, a multi-time league winner, and Champions League winning coach, which is a huge step up from trying to persuade players to play for David Moyes, that will I imagine have an effect on a players decision to play for us or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it wouldn't, it would be factual.

Regardless of the reasons, I was correct.

But don't you see that saying that Thiago had a bad season, or didn't do much, is going a bit over the top considering his very unfortunate injury problems?

If you had watched him when he did play, he played very well, and scored some at least one very, very good goal for them.

So, I wouldn't on this occasion say that you were correct, I would say that you were being very harsh, and not taking the situation fully into context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But don't you see that saying that Thiago had a bad season, or didn't do much, is going a bit over the top considering his very unfortunate injury problems?

If you had watched him when he did play, he played very well, and scored some at least one very, very good goal for them.

So, I wouldn't on this occasion say that you were correct, I would say that you were being very harsh, and not taking the situation fully into context.

Where exactly did I say that he 'had a bad season', or didn't play well?

He could have been injured all season, and my statement would still be factually correct.

Scoring one goal doesn't change that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could well be but to be honest i wouldn't take too much notice of them quotes, i have seen him being hassled and it is obvious he was saying whatever they wanted to hear just so he could get rid of them. I don't expect the deal to go through due to our lack of Champions League football but i suspect the club will already know that.
    I still say if we really are in for him we would have made it known by now.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

I honestly don't think its that big of a deal. Its like me getting a job at Ralph Lauren but them saying 'We've opted out of London Fashion Week this year'. I'd still jump at the job because I know its only a matter of time before they're back.

Granted if Moyes had still been manager I couldn't have said when we'd be back in it but with LVG I reckon top 4 is a more than reasonable guess.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

Regardless of why he hasn't had a great season over there, the fact is he hasn't had a great season which is what Jim meant. He could be fully fit throughout next season and be great, but for this season he hasn't been, as Jim says, "pulling up trees", so Jim isn't incorrect in what he says.

If he signed for Man United and spent half of the season injured then came back and scored a winner in a game, would he be considered a brilliant signing based on that season alone?

You're ignoring the point Jim was making and focusing on the phrase he used which you consider to be incorrect instead of realising what he actually meant and discussing that.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still say if we really are in for him we would have made it known by now.

Yep, cos that worked wonders last summer...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were never going to get Fabregas and your point is irrelevant. Regardless of whether we get Vidal or not my point still stands.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I honestly don't think its that big of a deal. Its like me getting a job at Ralph Lauren but them saying 'We've opted out of London Fashion Week this year'. I'd still jump at the job because I know its only a matter of time before they're back.

Granted if Moyes had still been manager I couldn't have said when we'd be back in it but with LVG I reckon top 4 is a more than reasonable guess.

Yes but if you didn't have a particular affinity for Ralph Lauren and D&G came along with a similar offer, then the lack of Fashion Week might sway you.

We all know that, although it's hard to believe, that not everyone realises United is the greatest team in the world.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope United sign at least 2 other players possibly 3, whats the situation with Hummels from Dortmond is he coming or not looks a very good Defender and would be a great addition, i did hear a rumour than Ron flarr was coming but that seems to have gone quiet now surely with LVG at the realm that would swing it. Only 2 players signed and 3 weeks to the start of the season Ed Woodward better get a move on.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were never going to get Fabregas and your point is irrelevant. Regardless of whether we get Vidal or not my point still stands.

Sorry, you've totally lost me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    I do hope United sign at least 2 other players possibly 3, whats the situation with Hummels from Dortmond is he coming or not looks a very good Defender and would be a great addition, i did hear a rumour than Ron flarr was coming but that seems to have gone quiet now surely with LVG at the realm that would swing it. Only 2 players signed and 3 weeks to the start of the season Ed Woodward better get a move on.

Hummels is almost certainly not going to happen. It would take a ridiculous offer to even make Dortmund consider it, especially after what Klopp has said.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benfica have finally poached Bebe from us.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benfica sign Bebe. Finally.
    United will never see a legend like him again. A true giant of football. Amen.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    That's Macheda and Bebe both gone now then, anyone else still here with no actual prospect of being part of the first team to complain about?
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    That's Macheda and Bebe both gone now then, anyone else still here with no actual prospect of being part of the first team to complain about?

Back from legit holiday with no internet for almost 2 weeks and i come back and enjoy this news :)

Now whos odds on next to go??
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Benfica sign Bebe. Finally.
    United will never see a legend like him again. A true giant of football. Amen.

Its a sad sad day :cry:

Seriously though, I wish him well there.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Back from legit holiday with no internet for almost 2 weeks and i come back and enjoy this news :)

Now whos odds on next to go??

Lets pray its Nani
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hernandez or Anderson will be next, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaha.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtZlEZfIgAAlCuf.jpg:large

"Utd players were told one Friday that they didn't have to come in the next day if they didn't want to. The underlying message was pretty clear, though-get yourself in if you expect to be treated seriously. The only player who didn't show that Saturday? Zaha."

Not sure if he had a valid reason or not.
This discussion has been closed.