Options

Unstoppable - out tomorrow

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
Forum Member
✭✭
Tony Scott's latest epic sees his him working with Washington for the fifth time! Whatever he has on poor Denzel it must be bad. Anyone else think that the pair shouldn't be allowed to work together ever again, for everyone's sakes?!!!

The film itself is riddled with cheesy dialogue. But Scott still manages to pull the stops out (as it were) in terms of action by the end.

Review here.

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this movie - Chris Pine :D

No, I'm actually looking forward to it becauase it looks like a great story - the trailer is brilliant
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reeks of yet another 'movie by the numbers' that Denzel insists on making.

Tony Scott, in my opinion, makes the same formulaic movie every time (of late). Denzel could and should do better.

True Romance, Enemy of the State...MAN ON FIRE...ok, the Scottster has some history, but continually using Denzel as his muse to make very average fare is starting to wear thin for me.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am off to see it tomorrow. It looks good but it will have to do well to be better than runaway train.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    "We're not just talking about a train, we are talking about a missile the size of the Chrysler Building" - Gail, from Sin City

With hook like that what is not to like :D

Sounds like a fun disaster movie might watch this, to fill in the day at the Cinema.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a decent enough film, pretty much exactly what I expected. The characters are highly cliched and typical which is the films biggest :rolleyes: but the action is good and I think the way they roll the news story along with the event is very similar to what will go down in real life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very very good. Far better than I thought. Really good edge-of-the-seat action. 8/10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for Chris Pine I wouldn't be interested as it looks cheesy and cliche and pretty boring from the adverts, but I'm shallow and will watch him in anything. Won't be paying full cinema prices, though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Chris Pine I wouldn't be interested as it looks cheesy and cliche and pretty boring from the adverts, but I'm shallow and will watch him in anything. Won't be paying full cinema prices, though. :D

Vue in the daytime, with one of their £1.50 discount vouchers that you get everytime you go at the minute makes it only £4.05 a ticket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I saw the trailer for this last night and after watching it I just thought, what's the poin,. I just near saw the whole film in 2 minutes.Correct me if I'm wrong though,maybe there is more to it than the trailer shows
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Claudia Winkleman enthused over it on Film 2010 was enough to put me off, especially given how much she said she liked The Taking of Pelham 123 as well which I thought was absolutely woeful.

I think it's time for Washington and Scott to spend some time apart. I loved Crimson Tide and Man on Fire but Deja Vu was a step down and Pelham was a step down from that.
  • Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snakes.

ON A TRAIN!
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »
    The way Claudia Winkleman enthused over it on Film 2010 was enough to put me off, especially given how much she said she liked The Taking of Pelham 123 as well which I thought was absolutely woeful.

I think it's time for Washington and Scott to spend some time apart. I loved Crimson Tide and Man on Fire but Deja Vu was a step down and Pelham was a step down from that.

Pelham 1-2-3 suffers in comparison with the original with Walter Mattau - which has not even dated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alameals wrote: »
    I saw the trailer for this last night and after watching it I just thought, what's the poin,. I just near saw the whole film in 2 minutes.Correct me if I'm wrong though,maybe there is more to it than the trailer shows

I was worried about that when I went to see it, but the things in the trailer do not make up all of the film. The pacing of the film is brilliant so as not to let up over the 90ish minutes.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might go and see this tomorrow
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I had the chance of free tickets to this last week.....then saw the trailer and decided it wasn't for me.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to seeing this.
    maybe next week though. love a good old action!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film is based on a true story ain't it?
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest trailer i saw had audience members saying how good this film is and how you've got to go see it.

That's me not seeing this one then.

As a general rule - preview audience reviews on the trailer itself mean the film is absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I saw this the other week and I actually quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does tony scott have adhd? his films all look the same

his films are all so terribly average too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    It looks so bad but I am drawn to it for some unexplainable reason. I'm not sure what to do :confused:

Maybe I'll just see Machete instead! :D
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was ok, nothing special though. And we all knew they'd stop the train, didn't we?
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it yesterday. thought it was good. anything with denzel in it usually is good.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was surprisingly...very good.

Considering the subject matter and how dull it could have been; I found it to be very entertaining and quite funny.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly entertaining, thrill packed actioner and exactly what Tony Scott excels at. This is what the big screen is made for. Unstoppable is a juggernaught of a movie and at times reminscent of 'Duel'with the train having its own personality, demolishing everything in its way.

Denzil's an old hand at this sort of thing now, but puts in another comforting performance while Chris Pine more than holds his own as the new kid on the block. The action scenes had me and the audience gasping several times and even if you knew the outcome, getting there was extremely enjoyable. Fast cuts, zooms, crashes - it's all there in one of the LOUDEST films I've seen in a long time. This is easily the best action film this year, hands down.

Go see - 9/10.