Options

Bridesmaids

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I think it's one of the funniest films I've ever seen. The trailer doesn't do it justice at all. I went to see it on the recommendation of my friends. I was expecting something like Bridewars, 27 Dresses, Sex & The City. I strongly dislike these movies as they're so predictable but not Bridesmaids.

I was literally crying with laughter, as was the whole cinema. There were points where I couldn't catch my breath laughing. The cinema was probably 80% woman 20% men. I'm a gay guy and went to see it with my husband. We were both in kinks.

The cast are all very 'real' and I think everyone can relate to them. They're not the typical drop dead gorgeous stars you'd expect to see in a chick flick. They're just like normal girls but very attractive in an understated way. (Maybe Megan's debatable though).

My favourite scenes have to be;

The Speech
    The Bridal Store
    The Airplane
    The 'C' Word scene in the jewellery store.
    The reckless driving scene
    The whole bridal shower
    All of Megan's scenes.
    The ending was quite predictable, that she'd end up with the cop. However I love the fact that they just drive off in the cop car together. It doesn't go on to show you Annie's wedding which makes it all the more realistic,

I know it won't please everyone but it even takes a refreshing angle on something as unoriginal as toilet humour. 2011's must see comedy in my opinion and men should not be put off. The men in the cinema found it just as funny/
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    danom8 wrote: »
    The ending was quite predictable, that she'd end up with the cop. However I love the fact that they just drive off in the cop car together. It doesn't go on to show you Annie's wedding which makes it all the more realistic,

I imagine if they are going to do a sequel that will be the storyline.
  • Options
    neilnotnielneilnotniel Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I saw it with my "significant other" and we both laughed out loud often in a far-from-packed cinema! It's immensely funny viewing for men and women!! Go, take a friend if necessary, but watch it!!!
  • Options
    NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bathroom scene is HIL-ARIOUS!
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite scene was definitely everything that went on on the aeroplane. Hilarious.
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Went to see this last night and really enjoyed it. Very funny film.
    Kind of hoping they make a sequel.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw this , it had some good scenes , I thought rose byrne was very good . loved the scene where she and kristen wiig are trying to one-up each other with the speeches .

did I miss a bit because they kept talking about going to Vegas but they didn't (?)
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw this , it had some good scenes , I thought rose byrne was very good . loved the scene where she and kristen wiig are trying to one-up each other with the speeches .

did I miss a bit because they kept talking about going to Vegas but they didn't (?)
    Isn't that because Annie got them chucked off the plane with her drunken behaviour?
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Isn't that because Annie got them chucked off the plane with her drunken behaviour?

My favourite part of the movie easily.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it this evening, and while i agree a few bits could have been shortened there were some VERY funny scenes in there! The whole bit in the bridal shop had the whole cinema roaring with laughter, and there were lots of hillarious moments throughout as well, would deffinatly reccomend :)
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I thought this film was absolutely hilarious! And I say that as a male, who was expecting it to be a typical chick flick. As others have said, although the trailer did make it look funny I still don't think it did it justice compared to just how funny it actually was.

Found the whole best friend rivalry an entertaining story, and it was also a refreshing change that the romance angle played second fiddle to the friendship concept for a change in a film with female leads.
    However I didn't really see the point in even attempting to make a mystery out of who had come to pick her up at the end. I didn't even register the 'f*ck buddy' as a contender romantic-wise, and would have ruined the film for me if it had been him she had ended up with.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it this evening and thought it was brilliant! Very real characters and not the cliched type of humour scenes that I had expected before going. There were laugh out loud moments and I think it worked better because these are scenes normally associated with men in films i.e. After the trip to the Brazilian restaurant :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard mixed things about it.

Reviews have been very good, but a girl friend who saw it, was very disappointed.

Which I found surprising given that it would really appeal to her.

Thinking of waiting for the DVD at this point, but interested!
  • Options
    TurbsTurbs Posts: 7,480
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here ,

I went to see this a few weeks ago with my girlfriend, it was my idea based on some reviews that suggested it wasn't merely a chick flick and was a good all round comedy for men also.

I thought it was a very good film, maybe overall i would say the pace of the film is a little slow and maybe some might feel there's a little too much padding between funny scenes but i feel that its a film with a nice story that happens to be very, very funny in places.

My gf is a massive fan of The Hangover and went into the film expecting the same experience , as a result she left disappointed and claimed she was bored after the first 30 mins and wanted to leave. I personally don't rate the hangover that highly and think this was a far better film. I do agree though that if you expect a laugh a minute comedy then this might not be for you, and the first 20 minutes of the film are pretty slow.

I would say its well worth watching because there are some very funny scenes in the film. I thought the speech scene went on way too long, they are trying to outdo each other . . i get it . . ., i got it 5 mins ago when it started . . . time to stop now ! I also really liked the C word in the shop scene because that word is a massive no no with my gf and i could feel her tense up next to me . . which added massively to my enjoyment !
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Saw the film last night, was slightly worried after hearing and reading so much about it, but I wasn't disapointed, I thought it was excellent.

Megan was a fantastic character, and the scene in the credits had me howling!

The plane scene was one of th best, I haven't seen the actress who played Annie in any flims before but thought she was excellent.

The bit at the end with Wilson Phillips and them singing along was one of my favourite too, probably as I could relate to singing that song many moons ago!

All in all and great evening spent, and refreshing to watch a film with an over 35's cast!!
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it today and I laguhed so muched I cried, it was fantastic! I want to go see it again but I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD, which I hope is soon. Went with my boyfriend and he said it was alright but not worth buying on DVD.

I think the reckless driving and plane scenes were my favourites. They were hilarious! Also loved Annie's breakdown at the party and Megan taking all those puppies!

It's weird cos the trailer made it out to be set in Las Vegas but there wasn't a single scene in Vegas! I think that's where I thought it was gonna be a lot like The Hangover but I didn't think it was that similar to it and I much prefer Bridemaids to that.

Just watched Paul the other day and thought Kristin Wiig was great in that; was the first time I'd seen her. I thought she was fantastic in this, so funny. I didn't get bored or anything with her being in practically every scene, she was probably my favourite character, although I do love Megan :D

I didn't notice that Kristin Wiig wrote it. Looks like another successful performer from SNL along with Tina Fey. Hope there's gonna be a sequel.
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went the other night with a friend and as a guy I was expecting this to be rubbish but let me tell you that Bridesmaids is the funniest film of the year! The packed cinema was rolling in the aisles and it's even funny when it's not supposed to be; the best scenes for me were:

The trainer in the park scene
    the 'impression' in the cafe
    the 'wine and magazine' part - even though that wasnt supposed to be funny lol

go and see it - you wont be dissapointed
    11/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    You rotten lot! :mad:

After all the praise on here saing how hilarious and funnt it is I went to see this film despite not wanting too. I saw nothing at all funny in the trailer so thought I wouldn't bother.

I sat there for 2 hours and didn't laugh once. Not even so much as a giggle or a chuckle. I was thinking perhaps it's me but then I realised that it was dying on it's arse with everyone else.
    You got the very rare occasional giggle from some people. The only time that I heard the other people actually laughing at a scene was twice.

1) The bathroom scene
    2) The choclate fountain scene

Other than that nothing from an estimated count of 25 people both men and women.

Last year I saw another bad film Bride Wars with Kate Huden and Anne Hathaway. If I had to watch one again I would pick that one and that was dire.

Note to self.
    Avoid "comedy" films about forthcoming weddings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You rotten lot! :mad:

After all the praise on here saing how hilarious and funnt it is I went to see this film despite not wanting too. I saw nothing at all funny in the trailer so thought I wouldn't bother.

I sat there for 2 hours and didn't laugh once. Not even so much as a giggle or a chuckle. I was thinking perhaps it's me but then I realised that it was dying on it's arse with everyone else.
    You got the very rare occasional giggle from some people. The only time that I heard the other people actually laughing at a scene was twice.

1) The bathroom scene
    2) The choclate fountain scene

Other than that nothing from an estimated count of 25 people both men and women.

Last year I saw another bad film Bride Wars with Kate Huden and Anne Hathaway. If I had to watch one again I would pick that one and that was dire.

Note to self.
    Avoid "comedy" films about forthcoming weddings.

There was a similar amount of people in my cinema and while there was a bit more laughter than in your audience, I don't think anyone thought it was really funny. On the way out I heard one woman say to her husband that she thought it was too long. I personally didn't think it was and I don't see what could have been cut to make it shorter, although I suppose 125 minutes is fairly long for a romcom (Funny People is 146 minutes!:eek:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a similar amount of people in my cinema and while there was a bit more laughter than in your audience, I don't think anyone thought it was really funny. On the way out I heard one woman say to her husband that she thought it was too long. I personally didn't think it was and I don't see what could have been cut to make it shorter, although I suppose 125 minutes is fairly long for a romcom (Funny People is 146 minutes!:eek:).

I think all the scenes with Matt Lucas and his sister could have been axed to shorten the film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all the scenes with Matt Lucas and his sister could have been axed to shorten the film.

They had less than 10 minutes screen time though, so the film would have still been nearly two hours, even without their scenes.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was bad or anything, but I didn't laugh a whole lot. I definitely wouldn't watch it again though.

Ditto. I thought there were some very funny scenes but on the whole (for me) it was too long and after hearing from so many people how funny the film was, I was disappointed.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think critics have gone OTT over this film.

I liked it and did laugh a lot but it wasn't that great.

The scenes that were funny were extremely funny (Flight scene, Fitting scene, Bridal shower and The C Word) but the other bits just dragged and were quite dull.

Why was Matt Lucas' sister Australian?

As for the film being called Bridesmaids...why? It had nothing to do with Bridesmaids, it was about the Maid Of Honor battling with another. The other two hardly got a look in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They had less than 10 minutes screen time though, so the film would have still been nearly two hours, even without their scenes.

That would have axed 6-8 minutes, I would have ditched the stuff with her mother as well which didn't seen to serve any purpose. Putting it closer to 15 minutes off.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This film to me looks like a women's version of the hangover. It's almost as if they weren't happy with such a blokey film, so wrote one for women too!!

I've got that impression from the trailer, so I'm probably wrong, if I am they need to put out better trailers!