What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Kings 'Doctor Sleep the much vaunted and unexpected sequel to 'The Shining'.
    And it's superb.I have read all of Kings work,but this is a hard return to form,more of what made him great in the first place!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on a new audiobook, The Humans by Matt Haig, read by Mark Meadows.

An extra-terrestrial being has come to earth on a mission and has taken the form of a recently deceased Professor of Mathematics.

I've been looking forward to this. I really enjoyed his last book, The Radleys, and this new one has excellent reviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying Say You're Sorry by Michael Robotham at the moment.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" - Jonas Jonasson.
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Close My Eyes - Sophie McKenzie
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Thomas H. Cook - The crime of julian wells
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am now onto 'The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Night Circus - I'm halfway through but not really sure how I feel about it. Something seems to be missing with it.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle. I already knew much of the account due to all the USADA/Lance Armstrong coverage in the past year but it's still a fascinating, if eerie, read; and a great insight into the obsessive nature of top flight athletes.
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    king**** wrote: »
    The Night Circus - I'm halfway through but not really sure how I feel about it. Something seems to be missing with it.

AM going to read this next. It has been sitting on myself since last Christmas, and each time I go to pick up a new book, I look at the shelf and then pass it by. Determined to read it this time!
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Hakkan Nesser's "Mind Eye" 1st in the Van Veeteren series .. didn't grab me .. Wll give VV another bash sometime though. Slow burners these scandifiction novels
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished "Fleet Street Frolics" by Charles Rae. Memoirs of a reporter on the Sun and TODAY. Some good anecdotes .. a bit too much Royal Family worshipping for my liking.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Chemistry of Death' by Simon Beckett.

I've only recently discovered this author and am really enjoying his series of crime novels featuring Doctor/Forensic Anthropologist David Hunter. They are pretty standard killer thrillers, but I like the balance of science and characterisation, and the writing style. Would definitely recommend to any crime fiction addicts who haven't already given them a go.
  • theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished "On a Steel Breeze" by Alastair Reynolds.
    2nd book in the Poseidon's Children series.

I enjoyed this one better a bit more than book 1:Blue Remembered Earth.

Having a single POV character helped I think. Rather than switching between the brother/sister duo in the way the first book did this has just one POV character - but that character is in multiple locations at the same time having been "Triplicated"

The threat is a bit more menacing in this book, features some nice cameos from character established in book one and generally feels a bit more epic.

I dont know where Reynolds will take this story from here though - presumably move on to the next generation of the Akinya clan, but just felt like there were less loose threads left hanging after this one than there were after the first.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    William Boyd's Bond book "Solo". With all the casual sexism and racism intact, you'd almost think it was by Ian Fleming.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I too was tempted by the Kindle price (99p)
    Almost finished it now - what do/did you think?
    I enjoyed it, though the ending was a bit odd.
    I'm on Oh Dear silvia, Dawn French now. Not convinced so far, the narrative style of some of the characters is a bit annoying
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re- reading Stephen King's time travelbook '11.22.63'
    I'm really enjoying it - a good book to snuggle up with in bed on cold autumn nights.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Maureen Carter- Dead Old
  • Mumof5Mumof5 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid.

I loved The Reluctant Fundamentalist and Moth Smoke so I have high hopes for this one
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose that this is cheating a bit really but I noticed the other day that BBC Radio 4 extra is serialising The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. 14 X 30 mins episodes. Episodes are on iplayer for 7 days and I just managed to get to the first one in time. I've nearly caught up with the broadcasts now.

Set in the 1950s, Inspector Grant is stuck in hospital with an injured leg and needs a distraction. He becomes fascinated with a picture of Richard III. He doesn't think that Richard has the face of a murderer and decides to investigate. This book has been on my "to read" list for a while now so I'm pleased to have found this. Very good so far.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I suppose that this is cheating a bit really but I noticed the other day that BBC Radio 4 extra is serialising The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. 14 X 30 mins episodes. Episodes are on iplayer for 7 days and I just managed to get to the first one in time. I've nearly caught up with the broadcasts now.

Set in the 1950s, Inspector Grant is stuck in hospital with an injured leg and needs a distraction. He becomes fascinated with a picture of Richard III. He doesn't think that Richard has the face of a murderer and decides to investigate. This book has been on my "to read" list for a while now so I'm pleased to have found this. Very good so far.

Book and radio series are excellent
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    One for the Money - Janet Evanovich
    The first of the Stephanie Plum series, and this was fast, funny and entertaining.
    Snappy dialogue, colourful characters and not without a bit of suspense.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Only 20 odd pages in so far, but it's very promising so far!
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Bryant and May on the Loose by Christopher Fowler

My first Bryant and May book, started it today and loving it so far
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Five people you meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

Powerful reading. For such a quick read, it leaves a lasting impression.