What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading 'Sacrifice' by S.J. Bolton. I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it so far.
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I'm glad you felt the same about The Sick Rose, I was quite disappointed after loving "The Poison Tree" so much.

However with "Revenge of the Tide" I felt completely differently. I thought that more than lived up to Darkest Corner and I very much enjoyed it.

I will actually carefully consider whether to carry on reading Erin's stuff but I'm certainy chomping at the bit for Elizabeth Haynes next outing!

I completely agree with you about considering reading another of Erin Kellys' books. It will depend on the plot of course, if it interests me I might try it.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Alison Bruce - The Siren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now reading Beyond Evil by my friend the wonderful Mr Neil White. His first stand alone novel and I am enjoying it muchly so far :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain.
    Thi is the third of her books I have read, but it is being spoilt by the text being so tiny I can barely read it:(
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have. I enjoyed it a lot without loving it completely. Definitely worth a read! Probably because its not my favourite genre it was never going to go into my top 10 but its very very good. Enjoy :)

I've got aout 450 pages and I can't wait to finish! It started so well and I loved the first chapter, but it's just got duller and duller. And is every male character in the book gay?
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Abominable Man by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö.

1970's Swedish crime, picked up for £1.99 in The Works, not at all dated although I do have to stop thinking just call him on your mobile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed 'The Hunger Games' so about to start the follow up 'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Colins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now reading The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Luiz Zafron.

My only complaint is that it is too short. :(
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy which i loved - i've been looking for a good fantasy series after finishing a Song of Ice and Fire and really liked this one. I thought there was lots of comedy to lighten up the darker moments and I liked the characters and how they interacted.

I've also just read 2 Jojo Moyes books - The Last Letter from your lover and Me before You. I enjoyed them both - not particularly heavy-hitting but I enjoyed them and cared about what happened. I preferred Me before You I would say....

I'm now reading the first in the Alex Cross series: Along Came a Spider. I'm intrigued so far, but not loving his style of writing. I'm guessing as the series goes on it gets more fluid because at the moment certain scenes don't flow very well and I find the dialogue a bit stop start...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Uprooted: How Breslau Became Wroclaw during the Century of Expulsions by Gregor Thum which covers the history of the change from the German city of Breslau to the Polish city of Wroclaw (Vrotswaf) following the post-WWII boundary changes.
  • loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JESS24 wrote: »
    EL James - Fifty Shades of Grey

Thought I'd give it a go but I'm not expecting much from it.

And what do u think? I have found myself completely engrossed by this story regardless of the smut I find the relationship between Anna and grey interesting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Just started The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain.
    Thi is the third of her books I have read, but it is being spoilt by the text being so tiny I can barely read it:(

I'm reading this too at the moment, and loving it so far. I have it on my Kindle so text size isn't a problem! Maybe get a magnifying glass? :D

I can't get enough of Diane Chamberlain's books at the moment, I finished The Good Father on Saturday and loved that as well. This is my 6th DC book and none have disappointed so far. :)
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I've finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy which i loved - i've been looking for a good fantasy series after finishing a Song of Ice and Fire and really liked this one. I thought there was lots of comedy to lighten up the darker moments and I liked the characters and how they interacted.

I've also just read 2 Jojo Moyes books - The Last Letter from your lover and Me before You. I enjoyed them both - not particularly heavy-hitting but I enjoyed them and cared about what happened. I preferred Me before You I would say....

I'm now reading the first in the Alex Cross series: Along Came a Spider. I'm intrigued so far, but not loving his style of writing. I'm guessing as the series goes on it gets more fluid because at the moment certain scenes don't flow very well and I find the dialogue a bit stop start...

I'm looking forwards to finally finishing The Wheel of Time series - BS took over this project when the original author (forgotten his name now) died.. If you haven't read WoT I would guardedly suggest giving it a go. I say guardedly as it becomes a real slog about 60% of the way through and then improves again towards the end..

Re Alex Cross - I'm afraid it doesn't get any better, in fact it get's worse and worse to the stage where it completely jumps the shark - James Patterson has become a very lazy writer..
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forwards to finally finishing The Wheel of Time series - BS took over this project when the original author (forgotten his name now) died.. If you haven't read WoT I would guardedly suggest giving it a go. I say guardedly as it becomes a real slog about 60% of the way through and then improves again towards the end..

Re Alex Cross - I'm afraid it doesn't get any better, in fact it get's worse and worse to the stage where it completely jumps the shark - James Patterson has become a very lazy writer..

Really? I was so hoping that James Patterson would be my new favourite crime/thriller writer... :( Would you say his stand alone books were better? It seems like there are so many books so he's probably churning them out too quickly...

Was the WoT the Robert Jordan series? There's something like 16 in that and then the author died and BS was chosen to finish it. Is that what you're talking about? I quite like BS's style and am looking forward to reading more of his work!
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Really? I was so hoping that James Patterson would be my new favourite crime/thriller writer... :( Would you say his stand alone books were better? It seems like there are so many books so he's probably churning them out too quickly...

Was the WoT the Robert Jordan series? There's something like 16 in that and then the author died and BS was chosen to finish it. Is that what you're talking about? I quite like BS's style and am looking forward to reading more of his work!

To be fair, the Alex Cross books aren't bad for the first few, if you enjoyed the first one, you'll like the next few - I can't really remember when they got really stupid - prob about 5 years ago - generally speaking James Patterson used to be a good thriller writer, so his early stuff is worth a read..

Yes - Robert Jordan is who I meant, first few books (up to about 5 IIRC) are a good read, then it all gets progressively more sluggish and over descriptive, then as you get nearer the end they get better again - I kinda skimmed 6 - 10 something I normally never do!
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ready Player One - Ernest Cline. I'm about halfway through, up to now its a solid good read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hypnotist - Lars Kepler. Really enjoying it, hard to put down!
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderand by Lewis Caroll, Its on most lists of best novels of all time .. so thats why I'm catchin up with it. I can understand why it would have been a sensation at the time and why its remained so popular
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished R L Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Was put off for years because it's s easily dumped in the horror genre by many. It only a short novella but so profound in its treatment of dual personalities and morality. A cracking read.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished R L Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Was put off for years because it's s easily dumped in the horror genre by many. It only a short novella but so profound in its treatment of dual personalities and morality. A cracking read.

I don't know if it's in your version but in the Penguin Classic they include a very good Stevenson Vampire short story called Olalla.

Might not be up your street but I really liked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Trollope's Last Chronicle of Barsetshire. As a whole the Barsetshire novels gives the reader an understanding of life in the mid 19th Century and a raft of memorable characters. How quickly the world develops .. Trollope's plots would b well and truly shafted now by e-mail and Twitter lol! Its a shame he's an author that's constantly in Dickens's shadow. I find Trollope consistently better and more profound than old Charlie.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    I'm reading this too at the moment, and loving it so far. I have it on my Kindle so text size isn't a problem! Maybe get a magnifying glass? :D

I can't get enough of Diane Chamberlain's books at the moment, I finished The Good Father on Saturday and loved that as well. This is my 6th DC book and none have disappointed so far. :)

I'm also slightly addicted to Diane Chamberlain books at the moment after reading The Midwife's Confession amd Keeper of The Light.
    I do think the premise of the kidnapping is far fetched thoug and CeeCee's immaturity is irritating me.

Having said that it's still very readable but if it had been the first DC book I had read I may not have read any more.

Incidentally this problem with the text size has convinced me to get a Kindle, although I will probably wait till Christmas.:)
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However with "Revenge of the Tide" I felt completely differently. I thought that more than lived up to Darkest Corner and I very much enjoyed it.

I will actually carefully consider whether to carry on reading Erin's stuff but I'm certainy chomping at the bit for Elizabeth Haynes next outing!

I thought Revenge Of The Tide was a stronger follow-up book than The Sick Rose, but still a bit disappointing. It fizzled out towards the end and I couldn't see the point of some of the characters. I was very drawn to the enigmatic Dylan though! I like the strong, silent type. And I'd still read more of Haynes's stuff in the future.

Next, I'm going to read The Ballroom Class by Lucy Dillon (who's one of my favourite chick lit authors at the mo).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I'm reading I Michael Bennett by James Patterson..................to say I am a huge fan of Patterson would be an understatement.