Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    We need some new info from MC about the next series. I can't wait till next year. We need to know if Mrs T will be in it and Pauline maybe. Pauline has the ability to come back, I think, for Al. She left amicably, I think.

I think Morwenna would stand up to Pauline a little better than poor Poppy. "Get out of my chair."

I worry that the recent press release said all the regular cast members would be returning, but when they specifically mentioned people (like LG,, Bert & Al, Morwenna, Aunt Ruth) they didn't mention Mrs. Tishell. I think Pauline could conceivably return for a one-off wedding episode. And others. Like Mark. And Roger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Yes, you're right, there was another interview in which he said they would start the series off with Martin and Louisa marrying. Way back when, after I finally got to see all of S5, I speculated that it would be so nice if S6 began with a wedding, so I'm rooting for it. Well, I would be rooting for it no matter what I had said.

Okay, folks, just to be clear, MC earlier said something to the effect that "for a start" they will marry. That doesn't mean they will marry at the start of S6, just that the marriage will be a basis for S6. It could be at the beginning or anywhere in the series.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who is Miranda Hart and where can I see this show?

Here's some info:

http://mirandahart.com/?page_id=16
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, folks, just to be clear, MC earlier said something to the effect that "for a start" they will marry. That doesn't mean they will marry at the start of S6, just that the marriage will be a basis for S6. It could be at the beginning or anywhere in the series.

Thanks for clarifying. You're right. It's all down to what exactly he meant by that, which could mean that's the basis or goal of S6, not necessarily the first thing we see.

I do want them to start off this way, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Is this the same person who has a role in "Call the Midwife"? She is, isn't she? Since I'm not able to access full episode viewing and this isn't available on BBC America, I'll see if it's available on Hulu or Netflix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for clarifying. You're right. It's all down to what exactly he meant by that, which could mean that's the basis or goal of S6, not necessarily the first thing we see.

I'm with you, Biffpup. But my main wishes for S6 are lots of sex, real or implied - and that both Martin and Louisa find that spark again. In S5 we saw them lethargic, unhappy, and resigned - awful! How can BP squelch their spirits like that? Frankly, even in the final episode where the Doc declares his love for Louisa, he looks stiff and unhappy. Mute the sound and see how you read his facial expressions.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    They must just drive around and identify places they think will work for various scenes.

I love the idea that the hotel in London was chosen just because they were close to it! Also isn't it great that they can choose the outside of one venue and do the inside somewhere totally different. Makes your forensics much more difficult, though.

Yes it does. I started out just worrying about the exterior locations but I am starting to look for the unmatched interiors. I don't think they do it all that often, but they certainly have done it a handful of times. Over the weekend I was looking for the interior of the hotel (the one with Edith) but I didn't find anything yet.

I know I saw something online about where the pub interior was for the JH birth scene, but I can't find it now. Anyone remember that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, Biffpup. But my main wishes for S6 are lots of sex, real or implied - and that both Martin and Louisa find that spark again. In S5 we saw them lethargic, unhappy, and resigned - awful! How can BP squelch their spirits like that? Frankly, even in the final episode where the Doc declares his love for Louisa, he looks stiff and unhappy. Mute the sound and see how you read his facial expressions.

I think there were two things going against them in S5. Everything was apparently temporary and they didn't talk about anything. I agree that Martin's declaration of love in the final episode was factual, almost unemotional, but I actually see that as a positive. Yes, without sound, he looks serious, almost without emotion. In prior seasons he blurted out his feelings in an emotional way but afterwards he didn't follow through verbally or physically (well, except for in 3, which ended so badly). This time he finally said the words and stated them in a typically Doc-ish factual way. Now it's "a fact". They've crossed a bridge. Others have mentioned the differences between Dr Ellingham and Martin. I suspect that at the castle there was a bit of a merger. I hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yes it does. I started out just worrying about the exterior locations but I am starting to look for the unmatched interiors. I don't think they do it all that often, but they certainly have done it a handful of times. Over the weekend I was looking for the interior of the hotel (the one with Edith) but I didn't find anything yet.

I know I saw something online about where the pub interior was for the JH birth scene, but I can't find it now. Anyone remember that?

I have no info on the birth scene, but I know at one time I ran across someone who was an extra, as the hotel reception person, who posted info about her experience. Now I can't find it. It may have been in a blog; not sure.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same person who has a role in "Call the Midwife"? She is, isn't she? Since I'm not able to access full episode viewing and this isn't available on BBC America, I'll see if it's available on Hulu or Netflix.

I watched it on the PBS site. Yes, that is the same person.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »

Well, she did do an episode of William and Mary with MC, so they have worked together before (and MC loves to have people he worked with before show up as guests...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other thing he said that caught my attention -- maybe in the same interview -- was that they were going to make "big changes." I think this was in aid of his insistence on keeping the show "fresh." I have no idea what to make of that. Are they going to London after all? is the series set 5 years in the future? Is DM going to have an assistant? is he going to be a surgeon in Truro? each seems very unlikely, but something is in the works. Can't wait for filming to start, or at least for the casting call for James Henry players.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm still at my daughter's. No power at my home yet. She left for work so here I am on her laptop enjoying your posts!! First off, Dominick Minghella's conception was for DM & LG to never get married. As this series progresses, I see where lots of complexity surfaces between them, the writers getting better (no matter what you think of S5 it did leave open for S6). So, in the future w/ MC's and PB's (and I'm sure CC's) input and BB's brilliant direction, the interest in this series will never wand.
    As for Miranda Hart, I join others in wishing she would get a spot in the DM series. She is a great comedic actress on the show Miranda, now showing here on PBS, and Call the Midwife, also now showing, as a serious actress with comedy thrown in. I am going to state here she is in the class of Martin Clunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, good. I'll look for it there tonight. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, good. I'll look for it there tonight. Thanks.

Miranda Hart appears in the second episode as "Chummy."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Found a really interesting report on the history and the buildings of Port Isaac. It will take awhile to read the whole thing, but it looks fascinating! It would be especially interesting for those of you going to visit. Check it out:

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=a8560120-8755-4168-ae6c-1db61e499ba3&version=-1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Well, I'm still at my daughter's. No power at my home yet. She left for work so here I am on her laptop enjoying your posts!! First off, Dominick Minghella's conception was for DM & LG to never get married. As this series progresses, I see where lots of complexity surfaces between them, the writers getting better (no matter what you think of S5 it did leave open for S6). So, in the future w/ MC's and PB's (and I'm sure CC's) input and BB's brilliant direction, the interest in this series will never wand.
    As for Miranda Hart, I join others in wishing she would get a spot in the DM series. She is a great comedic actress on the show Miranda, now showing here on PBS, and Call the Midwife, also now showing, as a serious actress with comedy thrown in. I am going to state here she is in the class of Martin Clunes.

So sorry to hear about all you are going through for the past week+. Glad that your kids talked you into moving in until you can get the power back. Stay warm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

I remember seeing something online once showing the birthpub exterior (that's a new word -- birthpub) but now I can't find it anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing something online once showing the birthpub exterior (that's a new word -- birthpub) but now I can't find it anywhere.

Found it! The location was listed on the docmartinonline site. It is The Old Inn in St Breward. Now if only I could find the exterior location.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Escaping from election night coverage by watching Doc Martin: The Movie. Again.

Our Doc Martin much more handsome, I think!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda Hart appears in the second episode as "Chummy."

Hey, thanks for the info, but it dawned on me with this post that you're referring to "Call the Midwife", which I already have been watching. I'm looking fora way to view this "Miranda" show some folks have mentioned. Do you know of a place I can watch that? Oh, I should check YouTube, I bet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, I can't not keep turning back to election coverage as it is sooooo close and so much is at stake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Our Doc is much more handsome.

And I think I also need to escape from election coverage for awhile. Too close to call, too close to call, too close to call, ack! Maybe I need the S3 proposal episode and then I'll go back to check the election "plot".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the democrat supporters commiserations to the republican supporters. Thank goodness that is over. I do love the music at every gathering and the American speech writers are absolutely fantastic! Loved president Obama's victory speech. Brilliant. :):):)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Hey, thanks for the info, but it dawned on me with this post that you're referring to "Call the Midwife", which I already have been watching. I'm looking fora way to view this "Miranda" show some folks have mentioned. Do you know of a place I can watch that? Oh, I should check YouTube, I bet.
    Go to the PBS website - they are streaming all episodes.
This discussion has been closed.