Options

Colorado shooting suspect's insanity plea allowed by judge!

Comments

• Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if we are talking about America or any other uneducated country - the death penalty does not prevent crime.

Reducing and preventing are two different things. Penalties obviously reduce crime.

I guess Japan is also an "uneducated country" too?
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    An execution is free, is it?

it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    confuddled wrote: »
    it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Strange that someone would even compare the cost of an execution to housing, feeding and medically providing for someone for their entire life. Very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You brought up the whole keeping children safe thing, not me.

What does executing him solve? A quick, relatively painless death is what I would choose over a lifetime in prison, that's for sure.

and i was responding to AndyJK .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Strange that someone would even compare the cost of an execution to housing, feeding and medically providing for someone for their entire life. Very strange.

but this is DS:)
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    You brought it up, not me. :D
    For the former, a life the tax payer has to pay for unnecessarily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and i was responding to AndyJK .
    Both those comments below were addressed to me.

The point is, first you say if people were executed, children would be safe, and then you say execution doesn't stop others. You are contradicting yourself.
    if more people like him were routinely juiced then more 6yr old's would be safe...i know who i'd rather have in the world.
    because it doesn't stop others doesn't mean we shouldn't dispose of those that have. why should you expect to live if you take a life in anything other than a tragic accident?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but this is DS:)

Yep, it didn't take too long to realize that. To be fair though, the very nature of online forums, not just this one, seems to encourage and amplify it.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    please, your question does nothing for the understanding of mental illness. is being evil an illness now? is every schizophrenic predisposed to kill?

is that what i said?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both those comments below were addressed to me.

The point is, first you say if people were executed, children would be safe, and then you say execution doesn't stop others. You are contradicting yourself.

NO...read again , i said just because it doesn't stop others doesn't mean we shouldn't. that was a reply to either yourself or another who has that belief. just because i played along with it for the sake of debate doesn't mean i agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You brought it up, not me. :D

but you responded and the above seems to be your answer to a lot of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NO...read again , i said just because it doesn't stop others doesn't mean we shouldn't. that was a reply to either yourself or another who has that belief. just because i played along with it for the sake of debate doesn't mean i agree.

Perhaps you should make that clear, otherwise people will take your words at face value. That's kind of the point of a discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but you responded and the above seems to be your answer to a lot of things.

Yes, that's what happens on discussion forums. People make posts and other people respond.

What is your point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what happens on discussion forums. People make posts and other people respond.

What is your point?

my point dear is that you respond to a post, somebody posts a view point that differs from your own and you come out with the 'well you brought it up' mantra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should make that clear, otherwise people will take your words at face value. That's kind of the point of a discussion.

are you not good at the nuances of discussion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my point dear is that you respond to a post, somebody posts a view point that differs from your own and you come out with the 'well you brought it up' mantra.
    I do when the posters complain about something that they brought into the conversation, like PPhIlster's comparing costs.

I don't see what your problem is with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you not good at the nuances of discussion?

Not when people don't make it clear they're making things up for the sake of debate, no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the former, a life the tax payer has to pay for unnecessarily.

Has it really come down to what punishment is cheaper? Y'know, do some people choose capital punishment because it may be the cheaper option?

As far as I'm concerned, the cost is and should be irrelevant.

But to play along, how much does it cost to kill someone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Has it really come down to what punishment is cheaper? Y'know, do some people choose capital punishment because it may be the cheaper option?

No, that's just one benefit.

Really? OK, by gun, the price of a bullet.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if we are talking about America or any other uneducated country - the death penalty does not prevent crime.

FFS :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In that case we could use hanging. Rope does not cost much.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not strange at all. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29552692/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/execute-or-not-question-cost/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

That has nothing to do with the cost of executing someone. That is a story about California's "legendarily slow appeals system" and related bureaucracy. An execution is as cheap as a bullet.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    That's to be decided - it's certain that if he is found insane the NRA will breathe a sigh of relief

I wouldn't be relieved to live in a country where lunatics have such easy access to lethal weapons.
    Have you seen those assault rifles made especially for little children? That whole bloody country should be sectioned.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be relieved to live in a country where lunatics have such easy access to lethal weapons.
    Have you seen those assault rifles made especially for little children? That whole bloody country should be sectioned.

Oh good, another debate about gun control. Eek!